• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Question for you Glock guys

floridabuck

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2011
Lake Butler Florida
I have always been a 1911 man(and still am at this point) but today I stopped by the local shop and had a wild idea to try something new. So I picked up an FDE G 19 and a G26. I was able to go out to the farm and shoot them a bit today and really liked the feel. My question is this, are their any MUST have upgrades for these? My OCD has already kicked in so I'm wanting to tinker on them. Just wandering where I should start. The 26 will be used for CC. The 19 will just be a fun gun for now. We have a pistol range with steel plates on our farm so that is where they will see the most action. Thanks.

Leave them factory. They operate perfect as is. Maybe put a set of night sights on.

Get rid of the cheapo plastic sights which and replace with quality metal ones. The plastic ones work but with any hard use the front one will shear off.

Nothing "essential". Some people like the extended slide release. Night sights are great if you intend it for low-light use.

Thanks guys. The 26 was a consignment sale. It has been stippled and the slide has been ceracoated. Te stippling feels great, I may pursue that on my 19

I agree, especially on your carry gun to limit mods to sights and aesthetics. We saw in the Zimmerman trial how a overzealous prosecution would try to exploit any mods to trigger function ect. Mas Ayoob's blog is a wealth of great info on concealed carry self defense.

esytegyh.jpg
9y8e2evy.jpg

Here they are..

I always say sights and triggers are what I change on the Glocks. That said for a CC I would leave the 26 alone except for a set of fiber optic/tritium sights. Maybe do the 25 cent trigger job on it to smooth stuff out. If the 19 is for fun then you can get a new connector and a 25 cent trigger job to make the trigger a little nicer and a good set of sights. Check out Dawson Precision.

Glocks can be fun and you can go as far as you want with them.

Attachments

• IMG_20130722_214418_817[1].jpg
    IMG_20130722_214418_817[1].jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 20
I would highly recommend you try the McGlock trigger. John McNally did a really good job with this trigger, and it takes the Glock trigger into a different realm. The other thing I'd recommend is the HD sights from Trigicon. A Crossbreed holster, and you're ready to really enjoy those guns...

I will preface this with a the fact that I have a G34 "race" gun with a docter sight (red dot) machined into the slide and a G35 (mostly stock with adjustable night sights). I use these for local IDPA/IPSC and steel matches. No CCW here in Kalifornia so I cannot comment on that. I have over 10k rounds through my G34 and probably 6-7k through my G35. They are great weapons and work very well for me.

Items that I like are the extended slide release (already have that on your G19 I see), Glock extended mag catch (standard on the G34/G35) which is just a little longer than the regular versions but does help. There are also aftermarket "kits" that include a small "paddle" that screws onto the end of the mag catch to make it easier to press. I also suggest the Glock "target" trigger = 3.5lbs(?) (again stock on the G34/G35 models) but that is a personal preference. I also recommend the longer "slide lock" take down piece (sticks out an extra 0.5mm -1mm on each side) to make disassembly much easier.

I like the adjustable "trigger stop" with ejector that can be installed (just a couple of pins to remove the old one and drop in the new). Takes a few tries to get it right where you want it. This limits the overtravel of the trigger for a shorter "reset" and quicker follow up shots.

Checkout glockstore.com as they have a lot of options for glocks so you can see what is out there. I have bought many items from them with good results. Glockmeister in Phoenix is also a good place for parts/work. There are many glock accessories out there on different websites but I think most are unecessary and very overpriced. I also have a lone wolf (4) ported drop in barrel on my G34 and it is very accurate. I replaced the captured guide rod/springs with the stainless steel non captured version. This lets me easily change the spring weights for the recoil. Again not really necessary and more a preference item. If you get it wrong for the load you are shooting it can negatively impact the cycling of your weapon.

All of these can be installed yourself and should not have any impact on reliability/functionality of the gun (except the guide rod/springs as noted above).

The only other advise I would have (and it's too late) would be to buy the .40 cal versions and then just get a 9mm drop in barrel for $100-$150. It is like getting two guns in one... Don't over lube them and shoot them a lot. They can handle it.

I'm a 1911 CC guy. When I can't carry a 1911 I carry a G30. Leave the Glock stock for CC, it won't fail. Ok, sights could be up graded. But for CC 21' in, stock works.

I have numerous Glocks and was like you in the beginning thinking that there was something I needed to add. Came to the conclusion other than swapping out the sights they were good to go. I run the Trijicon HD night sights on mine. My other Rx - shoot it and get it dirty!

I carry a G17 compensated in a IWB Comptac holster and wouldn't trade it for any other carry gun. The only thing I have changed is a steel front Glock sight. I like the night sights except in the day light or low light I can't see them. I can see the big white ball on the Glock sights. I too love 1911s having owned many and still have a Les Baer and they are a lot of fun to shoot but you can't beat a Glock for reliability.
My competition Glocks have a 2.5# disconnectors and fiber optic sights but for your carry gun keep it stock with the exception of sights.

armed citizen nailed it. I put an extended mag release and slide release on my wifes to make it easier for her to outshoot me. unfortunately it worked.

Metal sights, a light, a good holster, and a few cases of ammo. The trigger will take care of itself. Go to the range until you can quit jerking the trigger you have, then start thinking about connectors. Extended anything is a bad idea unless you have woman hands. Even then I've seen extended stuff cause more problems than they fix (including a coworker finding out - after he'd already been shot - that his mag was gone and he only had one round in the gun). At the range, people hold the slide lock down, causing the slide not to lock back on the empty chamber. Others accidentally hit it during recoil and cause the slide to lock back prematurely - barricades or awkward positions magnify that last one. I have seen at least a dozen instances where guy lost their mags during physical activities (fights, chases etc) and didn't know it with an extended mag release. Not one has occurred with the factory part.

Long story short - leave the things alone except the sights.

I agree with the above recommendations about leaving them as stock as possible...for a number of reasons. Night sights are about the only modification I would suggest, but as Glocks often come with night sights they aren't the kind of modification an attorney would get excited about. You could easily justify them in that they are simply more durable than the factory sights, and leave all the night fighting, more accurate, etc out of it.

A Glock for competition ONLY is different than a carry Glock. Fortunately, Glocks are designed well enough that they work just fine for CCW without any modification. They are far more reliable, durable, and accurate than would be expected for a pistol in that price range. And, because of those traits, they work just fine as they come out of the box. FWIW, Glock 19's seem to prefer hot ammo...I know a number of people who run Federal hydra-shok 124 grain +P+ in theirs. 16 rounds of that ammo is a tremendous amount of firepower in any fire fight.

If someone is unable to sort out any reasonable civilian conflict with 16 rounds of 124 grain +P+ ammo, perhaps Darwin really needs to be more involved in thier longevity.

Tru-Glo tritium and fiber-optic sights are an indispensable modification for CC where quick sight acquisition under low light is essential.
I have the Ghost Rocket #3.5 connector in all my Glocks.
It is a personal preference but for me consistency from Glock to Glock (depending upon which I happened to be shooting that day), is important too.
You don't want your brain sorting through "which" trigger/ sight etc.is on the gun you are reaching for under stress.

Blackstone nails it with the sights. I have these on every Glock I own. Other than that, shoot the piss out of them and modify what has proven itself not to work well for you.

Any more, a Stock Glock will go bang as reliably as a S&W Revolver.

I have tried all the things with mine, but the extended slide release and mag release are my two choices

I used to do the trigger job, but I don't even care about that anymore. I leave my sights stock too, thought my EDC started with Triji NS, I would probably change out the crap plastic ones that come with most of them.

For my carry Glocks, all I do is the $.25 polish job, add maritime spring cups, and put on AmeriGlo Operator Green/Yellow sights.

For the ccw I'd polish the friction trigger parts, maybe an extended slide release and put a night sight on it. I like the warren/sevigny single front or two dot system as the large dot small dot is easy to align. Three equal sized horizontal dots can create some mental confusion especially if introducing a handheld light source.
For your play gun the sky is the limit. Definitely a trigger job with a lighter disconnector or if you want the best, I second the McNally drop in triggers- they are super nice!
For all around shooting check out a fiber optic front blade, I like the smaller fibers like the warren/sevigny because they aren't obnoxiously large and I can still be precise if I need to.
Then stipple and reduce the grip to suit your personal tastes.
But most importantly dry fire and spend time on the range!
A pimped out pistol is only effective if you have good sight alignment and trigger control!!

night sights on the 26 and a good steel set for the 19, bunch of mags and boat loads of ammo and have fun.

My G21SF guide rod chipped on the end opposite the muzzle within 100rnds. Replaced it with a SS rod and all has worked fine. Therefore going forward for ME that'll be an essential upgrade for me even if I got a bad egg. Even if the g17 my dad purchased on the same day has been fine with the factory rod ever since. Peace of mine type of deal.

So if I were to buy a new glock, I'd get a stainless guide rod, night sights from ameriglo at the height I want, $.25 trigger job, and an extended slide release.

I will be honest I don't notice any difference before and after the $.25 trigger mod, and yes I polished the shit out of everything. I'm sure every pistol is different.

That being said I love my G21 and it goes everywhere with me.

I do my own stippling on my guns and external mods such as steel sights but I will not change anything internal. Inside remains pure OEM.

A strip of skateboard tape between the rear sight and the ejection port, just to allow a solid purchase if you need to rack the slide one-handed against something. I like the NYC trigger in a carry gun, and beyond that, just as they come from Glock. Works every time right as they come out of the box, and that's a big part of the equation.

Metal sights, a light, a good holster, and a few cases of ammo. The trigger will take care of itself. Go to the range until you can quit jerking the trigger you have, then start thinking about connectors. Extended anything is a bad idea unless you have woman hands. Even then I've seen extended stuff cause more problems than they fix (including a coworker finding out - after he'd already been shot - that his mag was gone and he only had one round in the gun). At the range, people hold the slide lock down, causing the slide not to lock back on the empty chamber. Others accidentally hit it during recoil and cause the slide to lock back prematurely - barricades or awkward positions magnify that last one. I have seen at least a dozen instances where guy lost their mags during physical activities (fights, chases etc) and didn't know it with an extended mag release. Not one has occurred with the factory part.

Long story short - leave the things alone except the sights.

I agree 100%. Change any plastic sites. I prefer 10-8, but whatever floats your boat. The GEN 4 is basically not in need of stipple. And the G26 is already stippled. So no squirrelly Glock movements when sweating.
Another way to work on the trigger job....really cheaply.....dryfire. A lot. Will make a HUGE difference.

TTR

The 19 is probably (I said probably) the most widely carried gun out there, love the fde, throw on some night sights and have fun

I have several, a Glock was my first pistol, only have a 1006 that isn't one almost 20 years later. I'd not do anything to one I plan on carrying unless you know how it'll react, and then I'd be judicious and limit it. They can be finicky when you mess with them.

That said, I generally polish a few areas, change recoil rods and springs (most always in range only weapons when using handloads) and I may change the slide release (they call it something else) if it doesn't work right. I may put in a lighter disconnector (I polish those too, only Glock brand and again mostly with range weapons) and I may put a large frame mag release in a small frame for an extended one.

I try to always use Glock parts when possible, particularly internals.

I change the sights on all of them, no matter what. Those plastic sights are how they make their money I guess. They've gotta know by now nobody uses them.

Glocks are awesome tools, but they work best when mostly stock and using factory ammo. And a set of good sights.

I put 10-8 Redback-1 sights, and some stippling, for better purchase, on all my glocks and leave everything else alone.

Nothing "essential". Some people like the extended slide release. Night sights are great if you intend it for low-light use.

Leave the firearm factory. Buy lots of ammunition and shoot it. Learn the gun. And that slide "release" is actually a slide "Stop". Glock does not recommend using it as a release, even though they sell the extended stop.
Night sights or an upgraded sight set from Heine, Trijicon Ect are useful.

i would put on a set of xs big dots and your good to go.

Big dots are popular but I do not recommend them unless your eyesight keeps you from acquiring a standard front sight. Big dots trade off a significant amount of precision, and (at least for experienced shooters) they are no faster on close shots. You don't see top USPSA or IDPA shooters using them--for good reason.

See this for more:
http://pistol-training.com/archives/2140

Last edited:
Leave the damn thing stock!

There is something beautiful about a stock pistol that operates perfectly.

That said, if you must change something, put some night sights on it

You can send just the upper slide back to Glock and get factory nights sights for $57 shipped.

report back on the 19. I have been wanting a gen4 19 , but have been scared by internet lore on the glock forum about brass to the face and unreliable ejection. Folks on the hide usually have a bit more scientific findings.

report back on the 19. I have been wanting a gen4 19 , but have been scared by internet lore on the glock forum about brass to the face and unreliable ejection. Folks on the hide usually have a bit more scientific findings.

I have numerous Glock's and a few Gen4's. My Gen4's have given me absolutely no issues whatsoever. I would not hesitate if you are ready to pick one up to recommend a Gen4.

All my new hardware is always Gen3 only. Most people don't have issue with their Gen4s, but I still see issues with them fairly frequently on range lines. Just my own personal preference, I trust the Gen3s.

Pearce Grip Extension. I really liked them on the 27 when I shot IDPA. May not be necessary on the 26 or desired for CC if you need the absolute minimum grip length.

For fun, the extended mag release is nice. Not on your CC gun.

For fun, glock 3.5 disconnector. Not on your CC gun.

I can not recommend the "New York trigger". It's a solution in search of a non existent problem.

Night sights if you need / like them.

I'm ambivalent on the extended slide stop. It's super simple to install / remove. I've got one on a frame that's dedicated for an Advantage Arms .22lr conversion but haven't tried it on any others.

.22lr conversion kit, get one.

A little polish on the trigger as has been stated.

Last edited: