• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Question for you guys using 1-x scopes on ARs

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    I've always wondered this and seeing as how they are becoming increasingly popular it has me at least curious as to if I'm missing something about using a true 1-4 or 1-6 optic on an AR.

I understand at higher magnification for further distances, you will have a smaller room for 'error' in regards to having to properly look through the scope to reduce parallax and black outs, but what about at 1x? Is it almost like an EoTech/Aimpoint where you can move your head around quite a bit and still hit what your reticule is centered on, or does this require a much better technique than the parallax free red dots at no magnification?

Very curious about this as I have either experience with optics or red dots, but not an optic being used as a red dot and wanted to see what the pros/cons of maybe replacing my Eotech for an Accupoint or something in that direction would be.

Thanks

Re: Question for you guys using 1-x scopes on ARs

It is my opinion that with a higher quality scope the eye box becomes more forgiving to scope and eye alignment. Most of the shooting done on 1x is close enough the parallax shift is marginal. I've had a handful of these 1-4,6 scopes and I'm still in search of the perfect one.

I have a Bushnell 1.25-4, a Burris MTAC 1-4x, have had a GRSC and Millet 1-4's. I'm right handed, very left eye dominant so a forgiving eyebox I've learned is key to me. The Millet and GRSC were pretty easy to pick up, the Bushnell and Burris are almost just as fast as a red dot and I have a high preference to the 1-4/1-6 scopes.

They work well, but never just like a red dot. Two things, everyone's eyes and brains are different, so it becomes a preference. Other than that, it's a training issue. If you want to make it work, it certainly can.

I think a 1-6 makes it worthwhile. 1-4 seems like a waist to me, I would just run an ACOG before a 1-4. That's just my preference.