• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing question on recoil lug...

dshag

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2014
dfw, tx
I bought a used mcmillan a5 on here and installed it just now. The previous owner had a oversized recoil lug and i do not. What effect will this have? I talked to a gunsmith who said it would be best for me to just glass bed it for 60$. Price seems reasonable, i asked him about replacing the recoil lug and he said that gets pricey because he would have to headspace it and do other things. I planned on going to the range sunday. I have the old stock i can put it back in if needed. What would ne the best thing to do? The gunsmith said its 1 month wait time to glass bed it. Thanks

Torque that action down and go shooting. Bedding it would be a good idea when you have time. You can do that yourself, lots of information out there on that. Check out youtube Gunwerks. Aaron Davidson shows you how to do that. Get some rounds down range!!!!!!

Get it bedded when you get a chance, though there is no need to miss prime hunting season trigger time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has the stock already been bedded? If not should be good to go the recoil lug locates off of face of action if they opened that area up for larger lug then you will just have more room in front and bottom also sides no problem. If bedded then it needs to be rebedded to match your action.

Last edited:
Stick it in the stock and torque it to about 55 inch pounds, then go shoot it. You might be surprised at the results.

I'd do as most have suggested. But I'd at least check, that when you put the action into the stock and the rear of the recoil lug is against the stock's lug abutment, your action screws aren't riding against the pillars.

I agree with everyone that says take it out and shoot and see how it shoots. Having said that, recoil lugs come in lots of different sizes and shapes. The recoil lug on your rifle now might sit a tad deeper into the stock pressing into the bottom of the bedding causing the action to flex when you torque it down. Also, your receiver may be a few thousands longer/shorter than the previous receiver. Either could create issues when you torque your receiver down.

If it shoots great leave it be, if not I’d have someone re-bed it and not just skim bedded. Either best of luck and enjoy your rig!

Stick a spot of clay on the bottom of your lug. then assemble your gun.

If it's a smashed asshole when you pull it out, you'll have to deepen the lug well. If you have some clay left, your golden. This won't solve a side clearance issue, but it'll tell you right away if your action is actually contacting the stock like it should be.

Thanks for advice, i will torque it to 55 tonight and shoot it sunday. After i shoot it i will get it bedded probably. I have another gun to shoot while this one is down. This is a remington 700 5r in 300 win mag and not sure if it being a magnum complicates it further.

Maybe, maybe not.

I think that the most valuable asset a gunsmith can offer is their experienced judgment.

My approach, especially if the rifle shoots well, would be to ask the gunsmith to check out the rifle's inletting and advise whether it actually needs bedding. It may not, but simply telling the smith to just bed it could end up with the smith doing as requested, but there being no perceptible improvement.

First, make sure there is a problem, then fix it.

Greg