• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question On Rem 700 By Gordy Gritters

dmentzer

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2007
PA
I picked up a rifle from my local gunshop the other day and it's pictured below. It was made for a local fellow by Gordy Gritters from the midwest somewhere. These are the specs:
New Rem 700 action
Sunny Hill trigger guard
Talley rings and basses lapped
McMillan Edge stock pillared and painted
Lilja #3 barrel in .223 in unfortunately 1-12 twist
Trued receiver face
Recut threads straight
Trued locking lugs and seats lapped
Drilled and pinned Holland recoil lug
Blueprinted trigger at 2.5 lbs
Jeweled bolt
Rifle satin finished and blued
The fellow received the gun and never fired it. I have the receipts and he had about $3700 invested in the gun. I picked it up for $2000. I really wouldn't mind getting it rebarreled to a faster twist, but hate to mess with a rifle before shooting it. It was supposedly built as a "walking varminter".
Has anyone here ever had anything done by Gritters? The work appears to be pretty good. Thanks for all opinions.
rem9.jpg

Re: Question On Rem 700 By Gordy Gritters

12 twist for what caliber??

Gordy has been building rifles for a long time and is COMPLETELY capable and reputable!!

Thanks

Is it .308 or .223

1:12 in a .223 is a bit too slow to stabilize the heavier long-range bullets. If it's .308 then you really shouldn't have much of a problem. 1:12 stabilizes 168 SMK and 155 Scenars just fine.

Either way, I would shoot it before doing anything.

Nice stick: .223 or .223 AI if I remember.

I saw that rifle for sale some time back and almost bought it. Gordy was well published in Varmint Hunter Magazine, Back a few years ago when I was reading the mag, Gordy was building most of the winning long range rifles for the egg shoots (eggs at 600 yards). Probably still is. That rifle is patterned after a rifle series built by the then Editor, Steve Timm who goes by Dogzapper on 24hourcampfire. (Steve's rifle wore Mtn Rifle pattern stock). Should shooot 40-55 grain bullets excellent. I'd shoot it as is, but if you pull the barrel, let me know what you want for it. PM Dogzapper if you want more info, or post in the Custom thread if you want alot of oooohs and aaaahs.

Sorry, my mistake. It is in .223 caliber.

Gordy is one of the premier builders on the benchrest circuit and Im sure that will zing them into one hole. Absolute steal for $2000....

I have had him do work for me. If U do Your part it should shoot and the price is a steal.

I like a walking varminter and have a couple. They are a far more practical rifle than most of the "tacticool" and "long range varmint howitzer" rifles I see, they are seriously underappreciated except by those who actually need to control varmints.

Gordy Gritters has an excellent reputation, he is best known amongst the recreational varminter crowd.

I view a .223 as a 300 yard rifle, and load 40 gr Noslers to about 3600 fps out of mine. With that velocity the 40 grainers actually shoot flatter out to 300 yards than the heavier higher BC bullets since they cannot be loaded close to that velocity. In this case velocity beats out BC.

Lilja makes a good barrel.

The stock may be a McMillan but it is not an Edge which is the bench rest stock with the flat squared off fore end.

Out to 300 it should be a laser.

McMillan will make most stock's using the edge technology, including the Sporter.

Hey, thanks for all the responses. I should have said the stock is the Hunters Edge Ultralight. That's how McMillan lists it on their site. I have always been a fan of the heavier .22 caliber bullets, so this will be a little different trying these lighter (40 gr to 55 gr) bullets. I guess I'll have to get some together to try. I heard the Hornady A-Max is pretty good so I think I'll start with that one.

Try 26.0g H335 with 50g Nosler or Hornady. Very good control load.

Gordy did some work for a friend of mine who is a snipers hide member and it was in a 308 and the accuracy was phonominal. His name is bobby richardson

I have a 223 1in 12 twist and it prefers the 40 g nobler ballistic tips on top of a max charge of TAC powder getting over 3700 fps and provides glorious pdog air time

Hi Guys, I just bumped into this thread. Gordy is absolutely one of the finest gunsmiths alive today. I own three of his rifles and they are absolute hummers.

Advice to the original post: Shoot the rifle and you will fall in love. I prefer 40Ballistics with H-335 and find that it will kill anything from prairie dogs to large coyotes wonderfully. BC is kind of a slippery subject and I guarantee that you will find the 40Ballistic to shoot flatter than most ballistics programs compute ... it wind-drifts less, too.

You are going to love the Gordy Gun.

Good luck hunting,

Steve Timm

Friend Steve,

Thanks for weighing in! The 40 Ballistic would be wonderful for a 223 AI also, correct?

Blessings,
Marty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know this is a zombie thread but for the slower twist barrel, try the Hornady 53 gr. V-Max. You can get them going pretty fast and they've got a .290 G1 BC.

If you want to rebarrel it to a faster twist go for it, the lugs pinned, just get a vice and use it as a change barreled rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friend Marty,

The 40Ballistic is absolutely incredible in the .223 Ackley.

I've done critters up to and including blacktail bucks with the 40 and it does the job very, very well. Karen just grabs the butcher bag and sez, ""Let's go butcher, Stevie." I like that.

Blessings to you,

Steve