• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Question on Rem 700 w/Timney trigger - Bolt Lift

honeybadger65

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Hello all,

I recently installed a Timney 510 in my Remington 700.

When the trigger has not been pulled, the bolt is very easy to pull and is smoothe. However, after I pull the trigger the bolt gets a little tougher to pull back. Its not extremely hard to pull or anything, just a little more force is required.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

-HB65

Hello all,

I recently installed a Timney 510 in my Remington 700.

When the trigger has not been pulled, the bolt is very easy to pull and is smoothe. However, after I pull the trigger the bolt gets a little tougher to pull back. Its not extremely hard to pull or anything, just a little more force is required.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

-HB65

Nope, should operate seemless between the two triggers.

Nope, should operate seemless between the two triggers.

Two triggers?

The issue I am having is with one trigger after I fire. Some people have said that what I am experiencing is that I am cocking the trigger and this requires additional force.

The main question I have is as follows:

After you pull the trigger and before you pull the trigger, if you manipulate the bolt, does it feel the same or is there a difference?

On my rifle, after I pull the trigger, the bolt lift is a little bit harder to pull up than when I do not pull the trigger and try to manipulate the bolt.

It will be harder, always is. I have a 338 lapua and a 223 which both have Timney 510 triggers in them. After firing they are correct in saying that your are re-cocking the hammer and will feel that tension. After it is cocked (lifting it after firing) it should then function smoothly and easily as it is not cocking the hammer until you pull the trigger again.

Function back and forth should be the same regardless, but the up/down lift will have some tension after firing. Now in the first post you said "pull" and your last one here you said "lift". In my mind, that is too different actions when operating a bolt.

Last edited:
It will be harder, always is. I have a 338 lapua and a 223 which both have Timney 510 triggers in them. After firing they are correct in saying that your are re-cocking the hammer and will feel that tension. After it is cocked (lifting it after firing) it should then function smoothly and easily as it is not cocking the hammer until you pull the trigger again.

Function back and forth should be the same regardless, but the up/down lift will have some tension after firing. Now in the first post you said "pull" and your last one here you said "lift". In my mind, that is too different actions when operating a bolt.

Wonderful. Your 100% correct and that is exactly what I am experiencing. Bolt "pull" is the same between the two. Bolt "lift" is harder after pulling the trigger.

Thanks for your help, just wanted to make sure that was normal.

It feels a little "harder" lifting the bolt with a timney, but I don't really notice it anymore. I thought you were asking about a problem as the bolt being difficult to operate, which is not normal. Regardless of the trigger on the rifle, the bolt should operate easily.