• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

question on savage barrels

db_17_85

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2010
NW North Dakota
Gentlemen,

I'm currently running a 10FP (.308) with HS stock the Leupold Mk 4. It isn't quite as accurate as I feel it should be ( my LR experience is all with the M24). It seems like it takes 10 rounds before it settle in to a group. That's one heck of a cold bore... Additionally, The machining marks within the bore are pretty extreme. The lands are cross-hatched pretty bad. So my question is this... who all makes drop-in barrels for me? I know of Schilen and Lothar-Walther so far. LW only makes them in one contour though. Anyone know some more?

Thanks,

DB

Re: question on savage barrels

I have the L-W (actually, an identical pair in 28" 1:8" SAAMI .260 Rem chambered). It's a #5171 Savage Varmint Taper, and that makes sense from a number of viewpoints. It fits the Savage 10FP barrel channel perfectly. For the price, its quality makes it a steal. When I switched to the McM stock, the factory contour made the stock ordering a slam-dunk. For your purposes, the lack of contour choices is pointless. It's the right contour, period.

Greg

the lw barrels I've had shot lights out flat. Both in 308 and 223. You can't go wrong with them. Theywere both lw50 steel.

No complaints with Pac-Nor. great cs and barrels that can shoot.

Hmm... sounds like the LW barrels are a heck of a deal. Are you running 168's or 175's?

I have all 3

SS Douglas
Pac Nor
and recently LW
here is the LW new barrel 30 rounds fired factory 308 American eagle 168 on a savage

5 rounds American eagle 168 grain OTM factory ammo 100 yards, 5 th shot out was me.
P1310129.jpg

P1310024.jpg

here is the pacnor on a Mauser same ammo
PA310171.jpg

PA310173.jpg

pacnor Mauser in 7mmRem mag 175 grain remington
P1220187.jpg

target-2.jpg

Hmm.. looks like the pacnor is putting out slightly better groups. Though, the LW isn't fully broke in yet. Are liking what you're seeing or are you wishing you would have stuck with pacnor?

also there is mcgowen and benchmark. and Jim at Northland just added another brand as well. try savageshooters.com and scroll down to the sponsors vendors section. northland is there. SIN arms also carries a few brands in match grade barrels, he is listed there also. i have a shillen and love it. oh yeah, welcome to the fold brother, lol. savage can always use another convert. if you want to sell that barrel, let me know

L-W will make them in ANY contour you please.

If you want one that is in stock and will ship within a couple of days, then that would be the varmint contour, it is the same contour as the barrel you are running now.

You could also try tubbs final finish, bore paste or some rubbing compound on a tight fitting patch and polish out the bore.

I need to take a picture to show.. but these marks are BAD. The Schilen is running $380 for the select and the LW is running $289. For the price, the LW seems hard to beat. Is the Schilen printing that much better?

i havent shot the shillen much except testing hand loads and then i took mine apart. but its a good shooter, the load i picked was a nice group and it will get smaller as i get better. shillen SS select are hand lapped. some guys report 1/2" moa with factory barrels, alot of guys dont get that good so its hit and miss kinda
smile.gif
but im cheap if i knew lothar had one id get that for less and buy more powder with the diffy-rence. and i dont want to tell you what you may already know but a barrel swap is super easy. optics planet had the nut wrench on sale for $28, add a $3 pack of targets and get free shipping over $30. get a headspace gauge some wood blocks and your set. i havent taken mine to a smith except to get the action trued.

So far I've had good luck and great groups with my Douglas bbl

Northland has some good deals on Schillen. Anyone know a good souce for LW besides factory direct? My days of life or death precision are gone (hopefully) and at this point I'm all about bang for the buck. With that said, I still have my standards.
smile.gif

The other brand that Jim Briggs sells is McGowan.

I had Sin Arms chamber a McGowan for my Savage in 338 Edge.

S8001327.jpg

i think he is lower than that actually... and i agree, he is a great guy with years of savage experience and shillen, mcgowen and i think he added a third match grade to the on hand inventory. all of these are worth looking at, SIN arms carries stuff too. but jim is at northland

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php?c=11

Yeah, the Schilen from Northland is in the $290 region. Now I just need to find a distributor of LW to see how cheap these can get.

Of all the barrels that you listed that are pre-fit, I would purchase the Shilen, especially for under $300.00 pricing for 26" lengths or less rom Northland Shooters Supply. I have never heard of any issues with their quality and they are also great shooters, as good as any button rifles barrels out there, bar none! The LW barrels are supposed to be a little harder than the standard SS, but I also hear that many gunsmiths will not mess with them if you ever want a muzzle brake or suppressor added later.

Now if you are stepping up to a cut-rifled barrel then there are quite a few great barrel makers, but expect to spend in the neighborhood of $500.00+ for one of them.

cross hatched lands isn't always bad, if they are scuffed or dinged or gouged that's another story..If Savage doesn't lap their barrels, which they don't, they may or may not hone which produces a cross hatch...Now if it's a bunch of perpendicular lines to the bore axis that can cause some fouling issues, but it would take an eyeball inspection to see what you're on about..worst comes to worse call Savage and tell them

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: db_17_85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The machining marks within the bore are pretty extreme. The lands are cross-hatched pretty bad.</div></div>

Are the machining marks around the chamber or do they run the length of the bore? If the machining marks are just near the chamber you may consider having the barrel set back and rechambered.

I run Shilens from Northland on all my Savages.... IF there are better barrels out there, I sure as hell can't shoot good enough to need one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McKinneyMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if I was not clear. NSS is well below $300.00 for a standard length SS Select Match barrel. I was trying to let the OP know that $380 was not a great price for a Shilen was all
smile.gif
</div></div>

i say again and again we need a sarcasm font, lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McKinneyMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jim added the CM Shilen's recently to his inventory. Was that what you were referencing? </div></div>

that may have been it. i knew there was a third choice, i had thought it was a brand added

I wouldnt give up on the factory barrel just yet. In my case, my 10Fp drove me crazy trying to find a load it liked. It was very frustrating to say the least but I finaaly found that 45.0grs of Varget behind 168 SMK shoots fairly well in this factory tube.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Here are three 5 shot groups fired back to back at 100yds</span> </span>
MeasuredSavageGroup.jpg

Savage10FP-1.jpg

Pac Nor just delivered a barrel for my Savage. I haven't yet had the chance to shoot it, but the quality is 10,000 times better than the factory barrel that came off. Threads were cleaner, the chamber was beautiful, and the bore itself was very clean. If it shoots half as good as it looks, they have a customer for life.

whats a pac nor cost these days if you dont mind sharing? ive heard the good on them, just never got an idea of cost

My L-W 50 barrels arrived hand lapped. I tried a conventional shoot/clean break-in regimen and quit after 7 rounds when I could no longer detect <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> evidence of copper on the patch. Per a conversation with L-W's customer service, using J-B will void their BR-grade barrel warrantee. In shooting over 1000 rounds, I have only used the bronze brush once. Outer's Foaming Bore Cleaner has proved to be outstandingly easy and effective with these barrels. My barrels were made here in the USA in Cumming, GA. L-W does its work in monthly cycles. When payment clears, the barrel order is placed on the following month's run schedule. They are the world's largest supplier of firearms barrels, period. Their primary advantage is their scrupulously guaged and measured barrel making procedure, and records keeping. The size of their operation allows them the luxury of costly metrics. If you call them up years later and ask for the same barrel, it will be the same in every measurable spec. The barrels I own were ordered special, but the same spec is now available as a finished barrel from stock for a cost of $308 apiece. For what you get, I think it's the bargain of the century.

Greg

Wow. Good groups el Gordo. Unfortunately I'm currently stuck with factory loads. I'd like to run the 175's for the higher BC. But, i just can't seem to find any it really likes consistently.

Not trying to start crap, but man some of you guys need to learn how to spell. It's sad that you cannot spell the name of the barrel company and yet you own these barrels.

With that being said, my next Savage barrel will be a Benchmark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aubie515</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to start crap, but man some of you guys need to learn how to spell. It's sad that you cannot spell the name of the barrel company and yet you own these barrels.

With that being said, my next Savage barrel will be a Benchmark.</div></div> Spelling and grammar are two of my pet peaves. I'll never correct either from a guy that can shoot sub .5 MOA though. lol Just because he can't spell the name of the barrel maker doesn't mean he can't shoot with it.
smile.gif

"Welcome to Tennessee - Patron state of shootin' stuff."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aubie515</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to start crap, but man some of you guys need to learn how to spell. It's sad that you cannot spell the name of the barrel company and yet you own these barrels.

With that being said, my next Savage barrel will be a Benchmark. </div></div>

WTF, spelling Nazi, haha..Without cheating, pronounce Sako, Lapua, and Shilen correctly. Most don't, many use their gear. Matters none, as long as I know what they mean to say..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats a pac nor cost these days if you dont mind sharing? ive heard the good on them, just never got an idea of cost </div></div>

Total was $475. Price was for prefit Super Match with 5/8 x 24 threading and protector. Barrel was also bead blasted, but I don't know if they charged for that.

I realize each barrel is a bit different in terms of what it "likes", but anyone have some ideas for factory load match that these stock tubes seem to like? I've tried M118, Black Hills 175gr, HSM 168, and a couple of brands I don't recall. All seem to have the same basic grouping and warm-up behavior.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: db_17_85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I realize each barrel is a bit different in terms of what it "likes", but anyone have some ideas for factory load match that these stock tubes seem to like? I've tried M118, Black Hills 175gr, HSM 168, and a couple of brands I don't recall. All seem to have the same basic grouping and warm-up behavior. </div></div>

Two barrels made to the same specs at the same time at one barrel maker will usually show different "likes" when it comes to ammo. Invest in some reloading equipment, it will pay for itself.

My brother's older, pre-accu-trigger FP in 308 didn't shoot any factory ammo of any kind very well when he first got it. What he believes 'fixed' it was to shoot GMCS military ammo through it one day until it so badly overheated that he got a nasty burn when he accidentally brushed the barrel it picking it up. Coincidentally, he shot only reloads after that. First were ones that an experienced friend made for him, and then he got the tools and started loading for himself. The gun shoots very, very well these days.

I happen to think that the barrel shoots well now in spite of his overheating session, but that's what he thinks did it.

Although I don't think you should give up on the barrel yet, if it's a small-shank 24" I might be interested in it if you decide to replace it (but likely not if you choose the overheat option first
smile.gif
).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aubie515</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to start crap, but man some of you guys need to learn how to spell. It's sad that you cannot spell the name of the barrel company and yet you own these barrels.

With that being said, my next Savage barrel will be a Benchmark.</div></div> Spelling and grammar are two of my pet <span style="color: #FF0000">peaves</span>. I'll never correct either from a guy that can shoot sub .5 MOA though. lol Just because he can't spell the name of the barrel maker doesn't mean he can't shoot with it.
smile.gif

"Welcome to Tennessee - Patron state of shootin' stuff." </div></div>

Thats funny right there, I don't care who you are.
It's spelled peeves
grin.gif

I love my L-W barrel.
I don't think I have gotten any copper out of it yet.
I went a couple of shooting sessions, probably 40-50 or so rounds, shot it full of Gunslick foaming bore cleaner, let it soak for about an hour and a half. Ran a patch, got some carbon out, soaked it with a 50/50 mixture of Hoppes #9 and Hoppes Benchrest and it came out clean.

My two 'identical' L-W barrels seem to prefer loads about .1gr apart. 'Identical' is like 'perfection'. The words exist, but attaining them is another story.

Greg

Agreed. Perfection should be a constant goal. If you feel that you achieved it, you compromised and have failed youself.

Back to topic though... My current plan is to get a box of each match round I can find. Next comes a long (time) range day to see if I can find a load the factory tube likes (clean rifle, shoot box for groups, clean, etc). If I'm still not satisfied, it looks like I get to decide between LW or Schilen.

took long enough, lol. the guy i bought it from had it listed like that so i cant seem to break the habit. didnt realize it til after the sig photo was done and posted. the extra L is for all the extra love my barrel got from the factory

I have sold a lot of Lothar Walther barrels but I dropped them because they are sometimes really hard to get a barrel when they tell you it should be there, sometimes 8 months longer. Also if you order something that isn't their "standard" barrel the price goes up very fast. I have since picked up my Sin Arms brand barrels as your std replacement barrels and offer Brux and Rock Creek barrels for cut rifled high end barrels.