• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Question on Sizing: Bolt Face VS Case Rim

Blkbird6

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2022
South Africa
Good day,

this is my first thread as a SH member. I hope I am posting correctly and in the right section. I also can't find a thread that deals with my question, so hope some knowledgeable members can assist.

My gunsmith sadly did a really CR*PPY job for me, but I only found this out after I bought my custom 300NM - and couldn't get it to shoot acceptably well. Now the losers are out of business.

I discovered that the bolt face on my rig is a cheytac bolt face measuring approx. 0.640" if memory serves me correctly (I will remeasure when I get home and update if needed)

the correct bolt face size should be a Lupua bolt face size, measuring something in the region of 0.585". they did give me a replacement bolt, but its a mess, looks used, and doesn't have the same lug dimensions so I refuse to even try using it - I have booked the gun into a trusted gunsmith to see what he thinks and if he can make these corrections for me.

my question is this: there is approximately 0.055" difference between the size of the bolt face and the average case rim diameter. does this in all likelihood effect groups and accuracy??

I know that extraction will be (and always has been) an issue, but my question is strictly related to effects of the over-size bolt on accuracy.

any help would be much appreciated. thank you!!

ps, bonus question, is there some way of getting the extractor to work or is there an option to replace it with one that will work??