• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Question regarding crunched case neck with a 7MM BR Remington case

mike0479

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2013
United States
I just tried to reload some 7MM BR cartridges and the necks crushed. I am confused as I had reloaded this round over a year ago and it went fine. Now today I used the same Dies and hadnt changed anything. Im putting a pic up which shows a loaded one and a empty case with crushed neck, along with my RCBS dies that are used on my RCBS single stage press. Any thoughts?
mike
https://imageshack.com/i/10gd2mj

You could be crimping or your brass got too long causing it to try to crimp. Check your brass length after resizing, then check for seater die adjustment.

agree with 918. Back out the seat die. I've had this happen on my .257 Weatherby.

Thanks Guys,
I went back at it the other night and found out that the cases that crushed must have been fatigued. I did check the length and that was fine so I did the next suggestion and backed out the seating die. It still crunched as i slowly advanced the die further and further down slowly. I was trying to reload 7 cases that i found at a gun show. After ruining 4 of them i got decided to go try some of my other 7mm cases that i just fired last weekend. After a quick 45min tumble I prepped the case, primed and put in the charge. Then when i seated the bullet voila. It worked perfectly without any hiccup. So, I have come to the conclusion that it was the cases that were the problem.
Now i'm trying to determine why. Will the necks of the cases soften over time? I have heard about annealing the necks, but have not looked into what the purpose of doing that is. That will be my next project as soon as I have the time.
I want to thank everyone for their time and responses trying to help me figure out what the problem was. This is a great community of shooters here and you guys are are invaluable and a great resource. Keep up the great work.
Mike

The cases get harder, not softer. You have it backwards.

Maybe they were over annealed. U got them from someone else?