• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Question?

prolly for some......but those that value what it is they wish to protect.......would elect to decide on a much better round....preferably something that starts with the number Four.

a 380 is better than throwing a rock but when i leave my house i get to choose the rock i take to throw. mine is a 40

The .380 has it's place. Remember, shot placement will be CRITICAL. It's not the most effective round, but, I don't see where it's any worse than .38 special out of a snubby and many consider those to be perfectly acceptable.

If you're asking about the Pocketlite's viability, consider this, the Sig P238 is basically a clone of it. So, I wouldn't have any qualms about using one. Another 380 to consider might be the Ruger LCP.

i have the colt mustang .380, its a nice little gun.. basically the little brother to my colt 1911. only problem i have with it is that with my big hands, is that sometimes i will trip the saftey to on when i fire as i put my thumb next to it...

its reliable and accurate for 10-15 yards... my dad calls it an ATM gun... fits nice in your pocket while getting money from the machine...

.22 mag will get the job done but if you go to a bigger round you are increasing your stopping power which = BETTER! My fiancee carries a Sig P238 which is good on recoil management for her but I carry .45s. I have a Warthog and Glock 30 that are my daily carries but I am larger guy so it's easier for me to conceal. Like said earlier, .380 better than nothing!!! Shot Placement Critical!!

For me, I don't like to go with anything less than a 9mm. Several of my co-workers carry .380s, but I'm just not comfortable with it. I've seen too much poor performance and reliability out of the mouse guns to trust my life or my family to them. I won't knock anyone else's decision to carry a .380, but I personally prefer a more powerful round.

That being said, a .380 beats the heck out of no gun at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Potterman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the .380 ACP a good self-defense round?

Tom </div></div>

Any cartridge is better for defense than none. You are well advised to carry the most potent, energetic round YOU can shoot well, and that YOU are MOST likely to have on you most often.

If that ends up being a 380, so be it.

That said, as far as I'm concerned, the only advantage to the 380 over the 9mm is size - and only just a little bit. Most all 380s are blowback action, whereas most all 9s are locked breach. Blowback action produces more perceived recoil. In a lot of cases, a blowback 380 will have MORE perceived recoil than a locked breach/tilting barrel 9mm.

If you can comfortably pack, and will ALWAYS pack the 9mm, I'd recommend one. There are lots of great little pocket 9s on the market now. Its great!

I've shot most all of them, and my pick is the Kahr PM9. I love mine, and it is my *nearly* constant companion.

The advantage to the small 380 Autos is that you can conceal them in even just a swimming suit. For situations where I'll be bearing a sport coat or jacket all the time, I prefer a Glock or a revolver in 44 Mag. As mentioned above, the 380 Auto is a compromise but better than throwing a rock.

The Ruger LCP is one of the smallest and lightest but early in production, there were a lot of breakages and malfunctions; maybe those problems have all been corrected.

The Kel-Tech P3AT is about the same size and weight as the Ruger LCP. I don't think it's the best made but mine hasn't broken and it has taken all 380 Auto ammo I've fed it without a hiccup.

I also have a Kahr P380 which is better made than the Kel-Tech P3AT but is also slightly bigger and heavier. Believe it or not, with certain types of clothing, the added weight and bulk makes a difference as trivial as those factors may seem. It is also a little pickier in ammo than my Kel-Tech.

I guess the moral is that be sure any gun you get likes the ammo you're feeding it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grumulkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The advantage to the small 380 Autos is that you can conceal them in even just a swimming suit. For situations where I'll be bearing a sport coat or jacket all the time, I prefer a Glock or a revolver in 44 Mag. As mentioned above, the 380 Auto is a compromise but better than throwing a rock.

The Ruger LCP is one of the smallest and lightest but early in production, there were a lot of breakages and malfunctions; maybe those problems have all been corrected.

The Kel-Tech P3AT is about the same size and weight as the Ruger LCP. I don't think it's the best made but mine hasn't broken and it has taken all 380 Auto ammo I've fed it without a hiccup.

I also have a Kahr P380 which is better made than the Kel-Tech P3AT but is also slightly bigger and heavier. Believe it or not, with certain types of clothing, the added weight and bulk makes a difference as trivial as those factors may seem. It is also a little pickier in ammo than my Kel-Tech.

I guess the moral is that be sure any gun you get likes the ammo you're feeding it. </div></div>

You're right, even very small dimensional difference can make a pretty large impact on concealability and comfort. I'm a pretty big guy @ 6'2"/215lb, and I don't wear Speedos, so my PM9 simply *goes away* in all but the most intimate of outfits... :) Smaller, skinnier people may need a 380 to achieve the same effect the PM9 has for me.

Once it gets cooler outside and I will be wearing a jacket, I switch to my Glock 29/30/21/20 in an alessi shoulder rig with a pair of spare mags.

However, there is *nothing* like a nice little pocket pistol. It makes it extremely convenient to "grab-and-go", making it far more likely you'll have it with you.

I used to carry a Smith 442, also in the pocket. Not that the PM9 "prints", but its slab sides are more noticeable than the curviness of the 442. The 442 also came out of the pocket a little smoother and easier. For the equivalent weight though, I really like the capacity, power, and shootability my Kahr gives me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Potterman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the .380 ACP a good self-defense round?

Tom</div></div>

Defense against what, some hopped up meth head trying to steal your car, I would say no.

I mean honestly, if one decides to carry to defend themselves and/or family why not carry a round that you KNOW will neutralize the threat? I mean hell, don't get me wrong the .380 was good enough for 007, but then again he could shoot as many rounds as he wished without any mag changes.
Being the practical person that I am. I just want to be sure that in the case I have to use my weapon for self defense, I want to be sure that a reasonably well placed shot will do exactly what I want it to do, Neutralize the offender. But eh, to each his own.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Potterman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the .380 ACP a good self-defense round?

Tom</div></div>

Defense against what, some hopped up meth head trying to steal your car, I would say no.

I mean honestly, if one decides to carry to defend themselves and/or family why not carry a round that you KNOW will neutralize the threat? </div></div>

I tried, but couldn't find a backpack nuke.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mean hell, don't get me wrong the .380 was good enough for 007, but then again he could shoot as many rounds as he wished without any mag changes.
Being the practical person that I am. I just want to be sure that in the case I have to use my weapon for self defense, I want to be sure that a reasonably well placed shot will do exactly what I want it to do, Neutralize the offender. But eh, to each his own. </div></div>

Wasn't 007's a .32? My memory is failing me here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Potterman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the .380 ACP a good self-defense round?

Tom</div></div>

I mean honestly, if one decides to carry to defend themselves and/or family why not carry a round that you KNOW will neutralize the threat? </div></div>

I tried, but couldn't find a backpack nuke.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I mean hell, don't get me wrong the .380 was good enough for 007, but then again he could shoot as many rounds as he wished without any mag changes.
Being the practical person that I am. I just want to be sure that in the case I have to use my weapon for self defense, I want to be sure that a reasonably well placed shot will do exactly what I want it to do, Neutralize the offender. But eh, to each his own. </div></div>

Wasn't 007's a .32? My memory is failing me here.

</div></div>

Could have been I know it was a PPK and thought it was a .380?

It's already been covered above really, but get a 9 or bigger and be done with it. Will the 380 kill somebody, absolutely. Will it do it effectively, absolutely. Will it all depend on you and your skills...absolutely. Would it make more sense to get some bigger and go with an IWB holster....ABSOLUTELY! I can easily conceal a fullsize 1911 on my person and be comfortable, along with a G22, G23, etc. I run crossbreed holsters for off duty carry and I've not had any problems with concealment! Not to knock the caliber, but I would want a bigger, more powerful round. Not to mention those little guns don't fit my hand well and I'm probably not going to be as accurate under stress with that little thing. I'm 6-01/210 and like I stated, no problems concealing anything I have to carry. Plus a little bigger gun/caliber will probably come with a few more rounds if necessary.

I would suggest getting what you want and what fits you. What I mean is if it is cumbersome or not comfortable you will either..A-not carry it or B-not be confident with it. This translates into not using it or not being as effective as you need to be. What's the use of having a defense gun if you can't hit with it or won't carry it? The answer is yours. Yes it will do the job, but shot placement will count more than anything in my opinion. With that said, it's your responsibility to hit what you aim at anyways.

The only other question I pose is simply are you talking EDC or home defense or what? If home, get a shotgun and load it with bird shot. Very effective in a house and you don't have to worry about over penetration. Probably not even if you live in an apartment, not to say you shouldn't be concerned with what's behind that wall, but in most cases it doesn't penetrate two walls unless close range.

If concealed/EDC, then get the biggest that you feel comfortable shooting and can conceal on your person easily. IWB's make all the difference in the world in my opinion. I've put a pistol on and only wore a tshirt over it. If I have a question about concealment, I ask the wife to look. If she can't see it standing out, knowing it's there, then most likely nobody else with either. Goodluck with your decision

The main problem I have with the micro 380's and 9s are they dont seem to run reliably and most little guns are harder to shoot well. I think 380s enough to get the job done but you'll more than likely have to practice more to get proficient with it. Also the small light 380s have a really sharp snappy recoil, atleast the ones I've shot.

we always get into the concealability versus fire power debate at our local club and my wife proved a great point for the firepower side. My wife carries my commander in an iwb holster slightly behind the hip. she wears button up shirts and the gun is all but unnoticeable. the majority of the men at our club never new she was carrying till the one day i told her to show it to them. we notice that we are carrying because we are looking for and at the outline of the gun when in reality it blends in alot better than you think. Btw my wife is 5'4" tall and 115lbs. just food for thought

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...get a shotgun and load it with bird shot. Very effective in a house and you don't have to worry about over penetration. </div></div>

Good advice, except for that part. 'Birdshot' won't go through walls, true, but IMHO is not an effective stopper. I'd go with better penetration, something like buckshot, which is what's in my hidden shotgun. Google "Box o' Truth" for penetration tests on a variety of media.
Agree that a .380 is minimal/marginal, 9mm is better. My EDC is a Springfield Compact 1911 loaded with Golden Sabers. At 6'2" I can make it disappear, especially this time of year. At work I open carry.

1911fan

Yeah I would use a 380acp it may not be my first choice but it is definitely an option ,as long as you work with in it's limitation's .

And it's a Colt
smile.gif

Potterman, You live in WI. I have been there a few times and I know how freaking cold it is... All that cold weather means layers of clothing. I attend a ballistic seminar for work ever year or so and the 380 does not do well with "heavy" clothing. It penetrates but 10 inches or less and most 380 defensive rounds fail to expand after going through moderate and heavy clothing less than half of the time. This is not acceptable. 38+p from a 2inch barrel is in the same boat.

Stick with 9mm, 357sig, 40, 45, 357 and choose a good carry ammo. I really like Gold Dot.

We're beating a dead horse now, but I'll make one more point:

There is a GREAT selection of little 9s now, the size of which is just a LITTLE bigger than most of the 380s. A 380 is a TOUGH sell when you can get a pistol that is ballistically FAR superior without sacrificing size.

A browning semi-locked breach, tilting barrel action, like all the 9s have, tends to have LESS recoil than straight blow-back like most all 380s have.

If a 380 seems like the proper fit for you - try a bunch of the little 9s before choosing one. However, if it comes to pass the 380 is the fit for you, train train train.

I agree with the posts above and with the beating a dead horse but I wanted to mention the factor of ammunition costs and availability.

380 isn't something you will find as easily as 9,40, and 45. It also costs substantially more than 9mm (about 30% more on average) which you should consider because if you're going to be trusting your life with it you should be putting in some trigger time every so often.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">once told to me in a gun store in Monroe CT.

...."there is a seat for every asshole out there" </div></div>

Monroe or Shelton? Are we talking Ralph Sylvester here? What a place that was and what an interesting group of guys.

If you asked Ralph the .380 question he would say "stick your hand out.... lets see if this makes you think about something other than my wallet"