• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions About Plate Carriers

DustBun

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 7, 2018
    Ocala, FL
    After a lot of reading here about armor and plate carriers I have decided that I am going to get the Hesco 3810 in the Shooters cut. Per the measuring instructions I have determined I need a Large plate which is 10” x 12” x 0.98” Thick. I am 5’11”, 160 lbs. My application is just to have it in case I would ever need it, however I do plan on doing some training with it so it will get some use, but it is not for an everyday application.

I have narrowed down the plate carrier to the Crye AIRLITE SPC, the Crye JPC 2.0 and the Velocity Systems SCARAB LT. Since this is my first experience with armor and plate carriers I could use some advice.

1) All of these plate carriers are designed for larger plates than what I am considering (e.g. the Crye’s are designed to hold plates 10.5” x 13.25” and the 3810’s are 10” x 12”). What would I need to do to prevent the plate from moving around or is that even an issue?

2) Since the AIRLITE SPC is a very open/ventilated design, do I need to wrap the armor in plastic to help protect them from getting wet in the rain or another material to protect from UV since they are "sensitive" to UV? Hesco states the material on the 3810 is water resistant.

3) On each of these carriers there is the ability to attach a backpack on them using the attached zippers. It seems to me if using that system I would have to remove the carrier to gain access to anything in the pack. Would it not be better to run a separate backpack or how is gaining access to the pack without removal typically handled?

Thank you in advance for the education.

You can get the JPC in swimmers cut In large which will fit a 12x10
    Duhhh. I didn't even look at that. I assumed it was for a swimmers cut plate. Thank you.

Some other notable carriers to consider

Haley strategic
    Shaw concepts
    Spiritus
    Ferro concepts slickster
    I did look at Haley and Ferro. I will check out the others. Thanks.

Last edited:
    Reactions: SmolPP
    Those plates are thick and will not stop special threats. If you have to run them, the bulk is terrible. If you can afford it spring from the U210, otherwise the M210 is a little heavier but similar protection. M885A1 protection is required in any scenario you think you need rifle plates in 2020 and going forward.

Haven’t seen it mentioned yet but you buy the size carrier for the plates that are sized for you. I run larger plates so i run a large carrier. You dont buy a small/medium carrier with intentions of running large plates. Also most carrier have a way of retaining the plates in their pocket that is adjustable so there is some wiggle room for the plates. It’s typically the thickness of the plate that makes it very useful. I would also recommend looking at OP Tactical’s house brand carrier that Velocity makes for them. Very nice carrier for the money. I would also advise to buy plates that offer the most protection you can afford but also don’t buy go so heavy that you never train in it. When the weight of the plate goes down typically price goes up. M855a1 is nasty stuff and NIJ making a whole nother testing protocol just for it. Do plenty of research and watch lots of videos before pulling the trigger on anything.

Reactions: DustBun
    I’ve had everyone you’re considering and in the end I want up with a 5.11 TAC Tech carrier. It was the most comfortable.

The scarab is nice but it didn’t jive with my shooting style. My plates were VERY tight in the Scarab.

The Crye JPC was nice but the 5.11 worked better for me.

Reactions: DustBun
    Those plates are thick and will not stop special threats. If you have to run them, the bulk is terrible. If you can afford it spring from the U210, otherwise the M210 is a little heavier but similar protection. M885A1 protection is required in any scenario you think you need rifle plates in 2020 and going forward.
    Yes, they are 3/8" - 7/16" thicker compared to the M210 and U210 respectively but it is the same weight as the U210 at 3.9 lbs. Agreed there is more bulk. I considered the M855A1 threat and compared it to a 7.62x51 threat and I believe the the threat form a 7.62x51 is higher and neither the U210 or M210 is rated for that. It's one of those things I just cannot know but I will consider your suggestions. Thanks.

Haven’t seen it mentioned yet but you buy the size carrier for the plates that are sized for you. I run larger plates so i run a large carrier. You dont buy a small/medium carrier with intentions of running large plates. Also most carrier have a way of retaining the plates in their pocket that is adjustable so there is some wiggle room for the plates. It’s typically the thickness of the plate that makes it very useful. I would also recommend looking at OP Tactical’s house brand carrier that Velocity makes for them. Very nice carrier for the money. I would also advise to buy plates that offer the most protection you can afford but also don’t buy go so heavy that you never train in it. When the weight of the plate goes down typically price goes up. M855a1 is nasty stuff and NIJ making a whole nother testing protocol just for it. Do plenty of research and watch lots of videos before pulling the trigger on anything.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I have watched a bunch of videos and read every thread on this subject here, I think. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know.

Reactions: black5.3
    Yes, they are 3/8" - 7/16" thicker compared to the M210 and U210 respectively but it is the same weight as the U210 at 3.9 lbs. Agreed there is more bulk. I considered the M855A1 threat and compared it to a 7.62x51 threat and I believe the the threat form a 7.62x51 is higher and neither the U210 or M210 is rated for that. It's one of those things I just cannot know but I will consider your suggestions. Thanks.
    What do u think is more likely? Someone running an AR10 zapping you or someone with an AR who bought, found or was issued M885A1 zapping you. There are probaly 1,000 AR-15s out there for every AR10 and most people who own a 10, are going to carry the 15.

I can buy M885A1 right now from a few places. Anyone making serious preps should have a few mags full of it.

Think about a situation where you need to Kit up. Its an easy choice.

Hesco is coming out with new plates soon (per Shot Show). The 3811 is supposed to replace the 3810. Weight goes from 3.9 to 2.9lbs. You may want to wait and see…

Reactions: SmolPP and DustBun
    It’s all a trade off. Money. Mobility and rating. Nothing stops it all. The shit that stops most is either extremely expensive or weighs 8# per plate. Over time that shit gets old. If you have the money and need for 3# Level4s then why not.

Your best defense against any of this shit out there is us using your head and staying out of a gunfight. If you can’t , we’ll, hopefully you have support and trained harder and smarter. IMO, at this point there is a fairly low chance of seeing 855A1 out there but there is a FAR higher chance of ss109, which they are selling by the case at academy today. It’s the only 5.56 that’s been available here since the start of COVID and probably the most prevalent round bought over the last few years.

Edit:

OP, the packs on the back of the PC are for hydration and maybe some extra ammo or food for your buddy to pull out for you. If you think you need to access it wear a separate pack.

Last edited:
    Define fairly low. If shit breaks down to the point of having to roll with armor, what do you think happened to those hundreds of millions of rounds of M885A1 in depots, armories, bases, police stations and even gun stores. Its enough of a realistic threat to prepare for it and not like you give up anything other than cost. You still have the same or equal protection for m885/ss109 and lessor threats.

I wore body armor and plates for years as part of my job. Seen guys get shot in their plates and not in their plates. This is not the place to try and save $500. There is a reason large portions of federal LE and most tuned in organizations and agencies are running special threat type plates. Hell, the velocity system plate was designed for the DEA. Light, thin and great protection. Whats not to like. I would have killed to wear these instead of SAPI/ESAPI which is the style most of the armor is on the market. Heavy, fragile, thick and shitty to wear.

And for brevity, it may be those people in uniform hunting you down. What do you think they will be carrying? Plan accordingly.

• Love
    My currnt assessment of getting hit with A1 is lower than some cat with a 22-250 blowing directly through both sides of level IV with a 60gr varmint round but honestly it’s all a SWAG. The scenario you bring up accounts for total military / government breakdown as well as hordes hitting ammo depots. (Edit: guess we could see another Ruby Ridge type situation as well) Could it happen? Sure. (Edit. And if it does and you’re alone you’re fucked no matter what you have) If my situation changes, my tactics change. Hopefully I’m in front of the curve. If not, well, I’ll go out early.

I’m not disagreeing with you on buying the best you can, but at the same time if you can’t maneuver because of the weight of the size of the plates than it won’t matter. Some fuck like me is going to shoot you in the pelvis and back off while you bleed out or shoot you in the head while your stationary.

Last edited:
    Hey OP FWIW Id definitely get the Crye Precision carrier if youre still undecided. I wore a JPC 1.0 for years starting in 2011, sold it to another team guy, and now have an issued JPC 2.0 I kept for the last few years.

The JPC is a very minimalistic carrier, I have 4 mags, 2 TQs and a dangler and hydration pack on it with two wings to carry radios (MPU5, BA58s). I went with Hesco 3810s as well and theyre about as light as itll get without springing for titanium VelSys stuff. Just keep it in mind to not weigh it down with a bunch of shit.

Id also invest in a good war belt and pack if you needed some more stuff "on" you like pistol mags, holster, dump pouch and another IFAK (if you dont keep it in your dangler). I still rock an old issue Crye Blast Belt with the IIIA insert. Wont stop a rifle but will stop frag digging into my kidneys.

I personally dislike the shooter cut stuff, I get the appeal but you can shoot just as effectively and not deal with fitment issues in carriers. Even with a Crye Maritime the shooters may wobble a bit. With risers and cheek risers on stocks like from SC Irregulars you can get really good and comfortable.

Another option is to source a LV-MBAV which is incredibly lightweight carrier from Crye and then wear chest rigs over it. Materials like tegris that make it into AXL, Spiritus and Crye gear add rigidity for chest racks you can throw over it. Something like the Airlite or the Spiritus MarkV with a "Thing 2" and back straps can be stable enough and modular enough versus having more "static" choice on your carrier.

That said, you can run Spiritus placards on your JPC 2.0 as well but id invest in AXL side buckles since the velcro will shift on you.

YMMV. Just some thoughts from someone who was a "professional" for a little bit

Reactions: FatBoy and DustBun
    Hey OP FWIW Id definitely get the Crye Precision carrier if youre still undecided. I wore a JPC 1.0 for years starting in 2011, sold it to another team guy, and now have an issued JPC 2.0 I kept for the last few years.

The JPC is a very minimalistic carrier, I have 4 mags, 2 TQs and a dangler and hydration pack on it with two wings to carry radios (MPU5, BA58s). I went with Hesco 3810s as well and theyre about as light as itll get without springing for titanium VelSys stuff. Just keep it in mind to not weigh it down with a bunch of shit.

Id also invest in a good war belt and pack if you needed some more stuff "on" you like pistol mags, holster, dump pouch and another IFAK (if you dont keep it in your dangler). I still rock an old issue Crye Blast Belt with the IIIA insert. Wont stop a rifle but will stop frag digging into my kidneys.

I personally dislike the shooter cut stuff, I get the appeal but you can shoot just as effectively and not deal with fitment issues in carriers. Even with a Crye Maritime the shooters may wobble a bit. With risers and cheek risers on stocks like from SC Irregulars you can get really good and comfortable.

Another option is to source a LV-MBAV which is incredibly lightweight carrier from Crye and then wear chest rigs over it. Materials like tegris that make it into AXL, Spiritus and Crye gear add rigidity for chest racks you can throw over it. Something like the Airlite or the Spiritus MarkV with a "Thing 2" and back straps can be stable enough and modular enough versus having more "static" choice on your carrier.

That said, you can run Spiritus placards on your JPC 2.0 as well but id invest in AXL side buckles since the velcro will shift on you.

YMMV. Just some thoughts from someone who was a "professional" for a little bit
    Thank you for your suggestions. I ended up going with the JPS AirLite SPC Swimmer, @TacticalDillhole pointed out that the shooters cut plates would fit correctly and they do. I also went with the Hesco 3810 shooters cut plates. I went with the shooters cut because it “seemed” like a good idea at the time, clearance for the buttstock. With the little bit of playing with things up to now, I haven’t made up my mind if I made the right decision there. I have not done anything for placards yet but I was leaning towards the Spiritus and I will look into the AXL buckles.

I do have a Blue Alpha Gear belt with a Blue Force Gear dump pouch, a Micro Trauma Kit NOW with the Hamock, pistol mags and holster. Like you said, I really don’t want, nor do I need, to carry a lot. I think that there is a minimum of things I should have but after that it would depend on the needs for a specific scenario. To that point I am keeping it very minimalistic. Seems like when you get into the Gear, it's a lot of research, especially if you have no experience with it. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Everyone I know has or had had multiple carriers, belts, etc. Once you dip your toe in….

My backup is my original set of Hesco IV shooter cut. Single curve and 7.3# each. Still a decent unit for a truck, stationary situation but the III+ units weigh half and multi-curve / buoyancy are a plus. They still suck, but I have far less sand in my pussy after a movement in the III+s 😏

Sounds like you got a nice setup. Now is the best time to get started if you haven’t trained in them.

Everyone I know has or had had multiple carriers, belts, etc. Once you dip your toe in….

My backup is my original set of Hesco IV shooter cut. Single curve and 7.3# each. Still a decent unit for a truck, stationary situation but the III+ units weigh half and multi-curve / buoyancy are a plus. They still suck, but I have far less sand in my pussy after a movement in the III+s 😏

Sounds like you got a nice setup. Now is the best time to get started if you haven’t trained in them.
    Thanks, it's a starting point. I do plan on getting some training this year where I imagine I will learn even more of what I want and don't want. I also imagine that this won't be my last setup based on that and also based on how new products emerge and technology changes.

How much does this stuff usually cost? Is that Testudo from Ar500 armor.com any good? I can't believe I'm looking into this stuff, probably because Brandon is going to try to ban it

How much does this stuff usually cost? Is that Testudo from Ar500 armor.com any good? I can't believe I'm looking into this stuff, probably because Brandon is going to try to ban it
    It's an older design for sure - if you like those bulkier IOTV/RBAV style vests then it will be fine - just stay the hell away from the steel plates. I don't care what anti-spalling coating it has, it will spall but planning to be shot is stupid, they're heavy and uncomfortable to begin with. Don't listen to the bravado from fuckfaces who've never worn plates for more than 30 minutes you will get gassed and not be having a fun time with steel plates.

METT-TC should dictate what your loadout is and more or less influence gear choices. Good, lightweight plates that are rated for "special threats" or Level 4 threats will be very expensive but are worth the cost for sure. They're anywhere from $670-per-plate for Hesco 3810s, $907-per-plate for Hesco U210s and $1275-per-plate for Hesco 4800s which are all on the higher end. You can go cheaper if you want with Hesco L210s or similar but you lose threats covered and gain weight if that matters to you.

Carrier wise, for the Tetsudo money you can get into Ferro Concepts, Crye JPC 2.0s, or Spiritus LV119s which are the light-weight and modular carriers. Really hard to make a suggestion there without understanding how much crap you want to carry, for how long, threats you'll face, etc.

just stay the hell away from the steel plates. I don't care what anti-spalling coating it has, it will spall but planning to be shot is stupid, they're heavy and uncomfortable to begin with. Don't listen to the bravado from fuckfaces who've never worn plates for more than 30 minutes you will get gassed and not be having a fun time with steel plates.

METT-TC should dictate what your loadout is and more or less influence gear choices. Good, lightweight plates that are rated for "special threats" or Level 4 threats will be very expensive but are worth the cost for sure. They're anywhere from $670-per-plate for Hesco 3810s, $907-per-plate for Hesco U210s and $1275-per-plate for Hesco 4800s which are all on the higher end. You can go cheaper if you want with Hesco L210s or similar but you lose threats covered and gain weight if that matters to you.

Carrier wise, for the Tetsudo money you can get into Ferro Concepts, Crye JPC 2.0s, or Spiritus LV119s which are the light-weight and modular carriers. Really hard to make a suggestion there without understanding how much crap you want to carry, for how long, threats you'll face, etc.
    +1

Getting steel plates is worse than getting a Walmart hunting rifle for $120 with scope and trying to compete in PRS style comps.

Picture the steel targets you shoot now... then put your chin over the top of it and imagine taking a hit at under 200 yards. Anyone care to try it, even with a spray painted truck liner material over the steel?

Steel is not the right tool for the job.

The L210s are the bottom of what is worth the $. Good value if that's what you need.

Stick with the brands recommended above, Mayflower, Velocity Systems, etc. Grey Ghost Gear is pretty good on a budget IME, on sale they're a performance value.

Just know that wearing plates tires you out pretty quick. If your conditioning is sub par, you may wish to run without them over wearing them and gassing out. CQB, they're for everyone. Any movement or travel over terrain or heat... changes the equation quickly.

It's an older design for sure - if you like those bulkier IOTV/RBAV style vests then it will be fine - just stay the hell away from the steel plates. I don't care what anti-spalling coating it has, it will spall but planning to be shot is stupid, they're heavy and uncomfortable to begin with. Don't listen to the bravado from fuckfaces who've never worn plates for more than 30 minutes you will get gassed and not be having a fun time with steel plates.

+1

Getting steel plates is worse than getting a Walmart hunting rifle for $120 with scope and trying to compete in PRS style comps.

Picture the steel targets you shoot now... then put your chin over the top of it and imagine taking a hit at under 200 yards. Anyone care to try it, even with a spray painted truck liner material over the steel?

Steel is not the right tool for the job.

The L210s are the bottom of what is worth the $. Good value if that's what you need.

Stick with the brands recommended above, Mayflower, Velocity Systems, etc. Grey Ghost Gear is pretty good on a budget IME, on sale they're a performance value.

Just know that wearing plates tires you out pretty quick. If your conditioning is sub par, you may wish to run without them over wearing them and gassing out. CQB, they're for everyone. Any movement or travel over terrain or heat... changes the equation quickly.
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'm a civilian so I'm not to keen on some of the stuff you guys are talking about. I was definitely thinking that of a steel plate would get hit the shrapnel would just rip my face and dick off. It's a little weird to me that the things are so small and don't cover my dad gut. I'm not in great shape so I would definitely tire out kinda quickly if they are heavy and constrict breathing. I'm just pondering getting something in case they actually ban it this time. The only thing holding me back is I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that I'll never use like half the stuff in my safes lol.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm a civilian so I'm not to keen on some of the stuff you guys are talking about. I was definitely thinking that of a steel plate would get hit the shrapnel would just rip my face and dick off. It's a little weird to me that the things are so small and don't cover my dad gut. I'm not in great shape so I would definitely tire out kinda quickly if they are heavy and constrict breathing. I'm just pondering getting something in case they actually ban it this time. The only thing holding me back is I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that I'll never use like half the stuff in my safes lol.
    Just to let you know, NIJ certified lv4 plates can be bought for around the same cost as "quality" steel plates. I have a heavy set of Hescos in an Esstac Daeodon carrier and while it is definitely not the lightest or best combination of gear, it offers way beyond the level of protection that steel plates give.

Sell the stuff you don't use.

If it doesn't bring you joy, let it go to another family where it will be used and appreciated.

And use the $ for stuff you WILL use now. It's value is only what others will pay you for it. What value does it have for you sitting unused?

Reactions: patriot_man
    I used to distribute for Hesco Armor and design gear through my old company, Saber Solutions.

A medium JPC will hold a shooter cut 10x12 just fine or as mentioned above you can get a swimmer cut. I am partial to the original JPC as I don't need the extra complexity of the 2.0.

Zero skin in the armor game anymore but don't bother with steel plates and I would skip the Scarab. JPC is a great combination of design, weight savings, quality, and technology for a good price.