• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions for Sig Optics and/or Leica?

catorres1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
I have been in contact with Sig and they were kind enough to share a bunch of info around their BDX line with me. However, I am hoping to get a chance to have a longer interview with one of their product managers to get more in depth info around the product line and future releases.

Also am supposed to chat with Leica possibly next week or the week after, same sort of deal.

I would love to know what the community wants to know...do you have particular questions, concerns, requests or suggestions for upgrades, products etc? Keep in mind, this will be with the optics product manager only, so no gun stuff from Sig.

If you have something you want to know, want to have, or want to raise to their attention...post here or pm me and if I can arrange the interviews, I 'll try and get answers.

Thanks!

Could not be happier with my Leica 2700. However, "IF" they had a BT version that would talk to my Garmin 701, I'd buy it tomorrow. :cool:

If leica brings out the HD b3000 with a proper ballistic function which can store multiple profiles I will buy it in a heartbeat . The sd card for only one profile is not very enticing

If leica brings out the HD b3000 with a proper ballistic function which can store multiple profiles I will buy it in a heartbeat . The sd card for only one profile is not very enticing
Super, I will pass that on, and see if they will tell me anything. With the 3000 BDX release imminent, hopefully, they have a good competing solution on tap.

I sold my Vectronix PLRF 15C last fall while the price was still high( incredible unit). ONe of the great things about the vectronix is( paired with a trimble) it would give you GPS co-ordinates to your target which is very VERY useful . After you shoot a varmint you don't have to search all over creation. You simply have to go to the gps co-ordinates. I wish all rangefinders would do this but I realise it would add cost but what an incredibly useful feature for long range hunters/varminters.I also purchased several Leica rangefinders/ rangefinder binos over the years. I simply really like Leica as they pretty much do what they claim and the glass is top notch of coarse. I had the Leica HD-B binos which were pretty good but they would only store one custom ballistic curve and wouldn't range coyotes past 600-650 yards. I am hoping the new ones will range a yote to at least 900 yards but preferably to 1200.Last winter while yote hunting I saw numerous yotes in the 800-1200 yard range but simply could not get ranges which was very frustrating. I was going to buy the new Leica HD-B3000 but I think I will just do with something cheaper until a more full featured unit comes along and will actually range a yote to at least 900 yards.
My ideal rangefinder would be a binocular version of the vectronix/ trimble combo which would store multiple profiles and give gps co-ordinates. I know it would be pricey but man that would be da bomb. We will probably see this a few years down the road...I know newcon sells a monocular rangefinder which will do this but it is over 4k and frankly they simply do not have the reputation of someone like Leica. If Leica had one like this it would already be in my possession.

Reactions: mjsand44
Canuck,

That is a great thought, and actually something I was wishing about just the other night. There is a place I hunt for sheep that is a maze of impassable bushes and canyons, so it's really hard not to get turned around. I found a little spring there where I think the Aoudad are coming, but the one time i got withing 500 yards or so, when I tried to get back to the trail, I got seriously lost because getting there is litterally a maze...getting back out is very difficult. So I thought....if I took that shot from the vantage point I found....how would I actually navigate to the animal and then back out again...wonder if there is some way I could use my GPS as well as the distance and heading from where the shot would come from. Sounds like you have the solution...I'll definitely bring this up if I can make this happen.

If you have a GPS you can reverse engineer (back azimuth) yourself in and out quite easily. It's not a neat as having the LAT/LONG given to you, but it works. If you take a shot on an animal, lets say its 700yds and 180 degree direction of fire. Mark your firing position in the GPS and set that as your GOTO in the NAV function. Work your way out to the target using the direction of fire, 180 degress. When the GPS says you are 700yds distance bearing 360 degress TO your firing position, you should be standing damn near on top of your animal or at least close to where you hit it...

Reactions: mjsand44
ST,

Thanks for that idea...I hope to get a chance to try that out sometime this year...have to print that out and give it a spin.

As far as the Leica CRF 2700B goes here is what I would do if I were Leica. I would:
1) make an upscale version CRF 3000B ( after all they have 3000 yards in their new binos so why not use it)
2) offer one without the ballistic software( just a straight rangefinder) which would sell at a lower price point
3) make it larger because everyone I know who has a 1600B says the same thing, "It's too small to hold steady".
4) Why not use their 3000 yard technology as mentioned ?
5) Include a mounting lug for a tripod
6)If the unit was a little larger they could make a larger objective so it is brighter
7) ******* offer ballistic software to include multiple custom curves with ballistic calculations to 1200 yards******

This unit would be a direct competitor to Gunwerks , Sig and Vectronix .

Of coarse this would be a much more expensive unit BUT as mentioned, I believe it would outsell the current offerings on the market.

Now, if they really wanted to cover their bases they could offer a( CRF 3000B GPS) with a digital compass and gps receiver to give your co-ordinates as well as target co-ordinates. This of course would be a much more expensive unit...

I think this is were rangefinders are going eventually but may take a few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: alaskalanche