• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Questions on a new 338LM build.

pinzmann

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2005
yucca valley, ca
OK, I am building up a new 338 Lapua Magnum and need some advice on my components. I have already ordered a Stiller TAC338 and a Krieger barrel. Still looking for a stock and a good brake. Also wondering about the barrel contour. I ordered a straight taper 1.3" at the breach end and .900 at the muzzle. Does this sound okay? I'll be using this both prone and off a bench and plan on shooting out to 2000 yds. Main concern now is the stock and brake. Any other concerns I should consider?

Re: Questions on a new 338LM build.

So far, so good. How long is the barrel? I'd go with about 26" to 28" if you are tactical and the overall weight will still be (I'd guess) fairly heavy ~ 16#. Optics? I like Nightforce, Jewell trigger, perhaps a McMillan A5 (my preference)
I use Vais muzzle brakes on my other smaller caliber rifles, but haven't had or seen one on a 338LM.

Matter of preference of course. The Mcrees stock is first rate, and the FTE brake is efficient on the LM. Ugly but efficient.

I'm a lefty so any exotic stocks are out of the question. Also not really a fan of the AR pistol grip.

The Armalite brake is suprisingly efficient, it does a good job of making sure you don't get walloped too hard. Have on my AR-30 (big surprise there huh?) Have shot it without the brake and can say, it'll beat the snot out of you without a good brake.

I have your rifle you are building Tac338 single shot, with a 1:9.3 Krieger28" with a JP Tact brake, Manner T4A is what I have very nice, if you plan on using it to 2000yards with 300gr SMKs just letting you know I have a custom made base for mine that is 43MOA putting me at the bottom of my NightForce at 100yards and able to shoot out to 2100yards, dont forget a Jewel trigger. Ill post some pics when I get back home tomorrow from the field

Dont use any brakes with holes in the bottom if you plan on shooting prone.....Sand Blasted

What kind of elevation are you dialing at 2000 with the SMK's?

Wish I had the money for a custom build, Ill have to settle for my Savage thats on the way. Hopefully I can make it shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jonaddis84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of elevation are you dialing at 2000 with the SMK's?

Wish I had the money for a custom build, Ill have to settle for my Savage thats on the way. Hopefully I can make it shoot. </div></div>

We have a Gong at 2100yards and ususally around 92-94MOA with 300grSMKs

Should I get a 5/8-24 threaded brake or something with a larger thread like 3/4"? Just thinkin because of the .338 bore dia.

As far as I know 5/8 will be plenty, it probably opens up your options a bit more. You still have over 1/8" of meat outside the bore.

3/4 is the way to go with a 338 lapua

I just picked my 338 lm up last week,it has a fully adjustable mcmillan A5 and a surefire brake. I would definitely recommend both. Badger fte is a very good choice also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Smokin99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont use any brakes with holes in the bottom if you plan on shooting prone.....Sand Blasted </div></div>

+1

I have a Defensive Edge brake on mine and it works well. Lots of muzzle blast from a 338 LM. Best to not have it going downwards. I have the McMillan A-5 also.