• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Questions to FN SPR owners

Flyingbullseye

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 24, 2010
    Michigan
    I've got a few questions for the guys here that own a FN SPR.

1. Are they trued before they leave the factory or did you find that you needed to get it trued up after using it a while?

2. Keep the barrel or replace it? Also any chance you could post some velocities of the stock barrel?

3. If you had it bedded how much of a difference did you find it made? If any.

4. Personally I prefer a trigger pull of about 2.5lbs or slightly more, what's your assessment of the factory trigger at or near that pull or would it be better to replace it all together?

5. I am aware that FN uses the Pre-64 action but is there any difference between the pre-64 and the modern made Winchester SA when it comes to inleting a stock?

Flyingbullseye

Re: Questions to FN SPR owners

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've got a few questions for the guys here that own a FN SPR.

1. Are they trued before they leave the factory or did you find that you needed to get it trued up after using it a while?

2. Keep the barrel or replace it? Also any chance you could post some velocities of the stock barrel?

3. If you had it bedded how much of a difference did you find it made? If any.

4. Personally I prefer a trigger pull of about 2.5lbs or slightly more, what's your assessment of the factory trigger at or near that pull or would it be better to replace it all together?

5. I am aware that FN uses the Pre-64 action but is there any difference between the pre-64 and the modern made Winchester SA when it comes to inleting a stock?

Flyingbullseye </div></div>

1. They're trued by FN. My latest build was checked, and absolutely did not require further work.

2. The OEM barrels are chrome lined, and guaranteed 1 moa or better for life. I can't see buying an SPR with the intention of rebarreling. I think my 24" A3G barrel did ~2675 with 175smk.

3. My A3G was bedded by GAP. Either way, I would bed any rifle.

4. The SPR trigger is the traditional 2-lever type, and pretty darn good. Either you or a gunsmith can make it great.

5. Not sure. I think stock inletting is the same between pre-64, post-64 and FN.

FN does their own truing on the actions on the SPR line of rifles. Overall they do a great job on it, but it obviously is not as good as what a custom rifle shop would true them up to.

Most people are getting great accuracy out of the factory rifles. Most of them should be 1/2 MOA'ish. Again, they are factory barrels, but most owners are really happy with them.

The bedding can be a problem on some of them. You just need to get the rifle out and see what it can do. Testing the rifle out on paper and steel at distance will answer all of your questions about performance.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Flyingbullseye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5. I am aware that FN uses the Pre-64 action but is there any difference between the pre-64 and the modern made Winchester SA when it comes to inleting a stock?</div></div>

I don’t think it is a true pre-64 action... but I could be wrong.

At any rate, the new Winchester’s and the SPR's (up until the last month I had both) the differences between them were the scope base screws were larger and more robust on the SPR and the trigger in the Winchester is the new "MOA". It's a great trigger but IMO I'd prefer the two lever of the SPR as it is very easy to adjust and tune (over travel, take up and weight) to perfection. Again in IMO there would never be a reason to replace it.

As for stock inlet, I have a spare SPR stock that I had bedded a SPR into. When I put the Winchester into it I did have to open it up (the previous compound) but only a little to get the Winchester to fit. The only time I had to get into the actual stock material was around the MOA trigger. Also the one piece hinged floorplate bottom metal that is on my Winchester is not as thick/deep as the SPR floorplate.

If you are wanting a FN SPR I recommend you contact Mike at Tactical Coordination, he is selling these rifles at a really good deal. He is also bedding them before sending them out.

As far as the trigger goes, I adjusted mine to about 2.25 pounds and it's breaks very nice and doesn't have any creep.

Mike is know as TAC-CORD on the hide. His number is (602.909.8555)

I had the spr A1 and that thing outshot my remington 700 that was trued. I am amazed that they can get such consistency out of those chrome lined barrels but more power to them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steven Lunsford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are wanting a FN SPR I recommend you contact Mike at Tactical Coordination, he is selling these rifles at a really good deal. He is also bedding them before sending them out.

As far as the trigger goes, I adjusted mine to about 2.25 pounds and it's breaks very nice and doesn't have any creep.

Mike is know as TAC-CORD on the hide. His number is (602.909.8555) </div></div>

The rifles from Tac-Cord have certainly stirred some controversey. Read about it: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3161716#Post3161716

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steven Lunsford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are wanting a FN SPR I recommend you contact Mike at Tactical Coordination, he is selling these rifles at a really good deal. He is also bedding them before sending them out.

Mike is know as TAC-CORD on the hide. His number is (602.909.8555) </div></div>

The rifles from Tac-Cord have certainly stirred some controversey. Read about it: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3161716#Post3161716 </div></div>

I gotta say, there's something fishy in the water. Taccord is highly defensive in his posts. My take, fwiw, is that the conversation should have been done on PM and not in a forum. That, and the lack of spell check on the replies deducts professionalism points and would make me stay away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta682</div><div class="ubbcode-body">go shoot one then ask questions </div></div>

Way to pad your post count. It would be a first but at least try to make an effort to add to a discussion, any discussion.

I saw that Taccord has some very good deals but for the time may want to just look around.

Steve, I've read that if you adjust the factory trigger below 3lbs that it is not as consistent or can go off prematurely. Have you noticed anything at 2.25lbs?

Flyingbullseye

I set both of my spr's between 2-3 pounds, never had a probelm and between the two fired around 800-900 rounds.