• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quick access pistol and AR safe

312InchMagnum

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2020
Texas
Looking for a quick access pistol and AR safe. I’m thinking one mounted to my night stand for pistol and under bed for AR? Open to suggestions. Any recommendations?

That is pretty slick! BUT I want something right by my bed that I can grab quick if I have to pop up outta bed. My big gun safe is on the other side of my room.

The Hornady Rapid "safe" has been good for the year or so I've had it. You can access by RFID, punch code, or key if the power goes out and the battery dies.

I got the ~7" tall Hornady AR Rapid Safe in 2018. They were on CRAZY sale for $180 so I bought two: One is bolted down to the floor of my jeep xj and the other is mounted in my home office (for convenience sake, not for speed).
With any of these products you have to trade speed for security. It's less secure than a regular safe and a lot slower than an unsecured AR next to the bed. I can't remember who said it, but if you're worried about how quickly you can get to your gun then you have a pistol problem not a rifle problem.

I have a P365 in a pocket whenever I am wearing pants, so I just put it unsecured on the nightstand when I go to sleep and in a pants pocket when I wake up. That solves pistol problems, and rifle problems can be solved by opening the normal safe when I'm in the main house or the rapid safe when I'm in the home office.

I live in a free state without "safe storage" laws so your mileage may vary.

Check out the V-Line safes. There are a number of different sizes. I prefer a Simplex mechanical lock and avoid at all costs battery operated ones.

Last edited:
I have had one of these for several years, it has worked flawlessly every time I have accessed it. The important features for me are to run on AC power with a battery backup so you never get stuck with a dead battery when you need it, and not rely on any physical item to open that a kid could get ahold of or get lost. I like it so much that I just got a second one and mounted it next to the bed.

How old are they? 2-3 years old yes you may need something. Older than that, teach them.
They are 7, 9, 11. They know a lot about shooting and gun safety but that’s not something I want to chance. Accidents can happen and that’s not something I’m willing to risk. Gun safe always in my house. Just how I roll...

They are 7, 9, 11. They know a lot about shooting and gun safety but that’s not something I want to chance. Accidents can happen and that’s not something I’m willing to risk. Gun safe always in my house. Just how I roll...
Of course do what’s best for you.
I on the other hand introduced firearms early on. I would bring a pistol out and safety check it with little ones. We talked about the main parts i.e. slide, trigger, frame, etc. We went over the safety rules with the most important being “never touch a gun without daddy with you.” I quizzed them constantly. I would let them hold the pistol. I started playing games. I would lay the pistol down and have them hand it to me without pointing it at me or themselves or touching the trigger. Then I introduced their “friends” to the game which were stuffed animals. I would set them up around the bed or around the room and have the little one pick up the pistol and get it to me without flagging anyone.

We did this all of the time. If my child asked to see a gun or play our games, we did it no matter the time. The safety check was always first thing every time. It’s neat when a four your old tells you to drop the magazine and then let her look into the chamber to make sure its safe. What you end up with are little knowledgeable kids with muzzle and trigger finger discipline. They are so used to not only seeing but handling firearms that they seen as normal as the couch in the room. Kids die because they are curious. Don’t let them be curious.

Of course do what’s best for you.
I on the other hand introduced firearms early on. I would bring a pistol out and safety check it with little ones. We talked about the main parts i.e. slide, trigger, frame, etc. We went over the safety rules with the most important being “never touch a gun without daddy with you.” I quizzed them constantly. I would let them hold the pistol. I started playing games. I would lay the pistol down and have them hand it to me without pointing it at me or themselves or touching the trigger. Then I introduced their “friends” to the game which were stuffed animals. I would set them up around the bed or around the room and have the little one pick up the pistol and get it to me without flagging anyone.

We did this all of the time. If my child asked to see a gun or play our games, we did it no matter the time. The safety check was always first thing every time. It’s neat when a four your old tells you to drop the magazine and then let her look into the chamber to make sure its safe. What you end up with are little knowledgeable kids with muzzle and trigger finger discipline. They are so used to not only seeing but handling firearms that they seen as normal as the couch in the room. Kids die because they are curious. Don’t let them be curious.
Respect 100%

Reactions: wade2big
Raised my daughter like this. I did put my nightstand pistol up when she had friends over and they were young, but hat was it. I shot LR high power since she was maybe 5, and casual pistol and rifle before that.

We didn’t go to the extent that Wade did, she just left the stuff alone because she knew not to touch it without me or Mom and if she wanted to see it, or go shoot all she had to do was ask.

From the time she was in Kindergarten, she looked at my stuff laying out like it was a scented candle or some other stupid shut my wife stacks on our tables. Could give zero fucks until she started shooting. By then, she was well versed in most things firearm. When she was in college, one of her jobs was selling guns at a local gun store :). Actually where she met her husband.

Hoping some day things will come full circle and I can see her do the same for her kid(s), so I can I shower them with firearms to celebrate each part of their life(lives?) .

As for the OP, https://tacticalwalls.com/mirrors-main/ Has a lot of options. Most are not locking. There are not a lot of options for a long gun or shotgun unless your bedroom is huge.

Reactions: wade2big
I did the almost the same as Wade2big while raising my children. Funny to watch a four year old playing with a stick and still keeping muzzle control. I did put the loaded pistol in a box when it came off my belt at bedtime. Easy enough to do and simple insurance against a tragedy of almost unimaginable proportion.