• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Quick question... Going to order an Bartlein barrel for an 300 WSM

Slug-O

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2008
Jacksonville FLORIDA
Going to order an Bartlein barrel for my FIL. He has an Win70 in 300 Wsm and has expressed he would like to have a new barrel put on it. From Bugholes I can order this:30 cal 10 twist SS #3 27" .300 bore, 5R rifling. Any thoughts on this? He would like to use it shooting LR with me and hunting from his stand.

Thansk, Slug-O

It's good to go. #3 is pretty much just standard hunting contour and bartlein is an awesome maker. 10twist will cover you for a great variety of bullet weights. Only thing I'll add is maybe going heavier contour if he only hunts from a stand. It'll be nicer when just target shooting

For shooting longer strings the added weight will help dampen the recoil a bit. #3 is nice for a walking rifle but then again I'm a bit younger and my guns ain't light weight either...

Agree, I've shot his rifle and honestly in the way it's set up now I don't want anything to do with it after 5,6 shots. Basically I'm taking the action and building him a rifle.

Thanks, Slug-O

I've hunted the mountains for TN with it for a week with it. Got to skip the gym that week :) If I'm just humpin it to a stand a mile or less into the woods I wouldn't hesitate to pack it if it was the right tool for the job. That being said, it's not very often that I choose it as a hunting rifle anymore. Main reason for that is a 31" barrel... Most big game hunting for me is done with one of the twins, 308 and 358...

That bottom gun is gorgeous! It's the 358? The grain and color of the stock is incredible. Nice!