• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors QuietBore 9/45 Suppressor Build Review -***Approved Form 1 Required***

padom

SuperMod
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 13, 2013
    Southeastern, Pennsylvania
    The guys over at QuietBore were nice enough to send me another kit to test and review. This time I requested a 45cal kit with multiple pistons/threaded entrance caps to test their kit on various 9mm and 45cal firearms. I received my approved Form 1 from the ATF for this build and the kit from Quietbore. I opted for the 45 kit so I can shoot both 9mm and 45cal through the kit just like I do with my Rugged Obsidian 45.

They sent me all the different pistons and threaded end caps so I could test this kit on everything I normally shoot my Rugged Obsidian 45 on. That list consists of the following:

7.5" AR 9mm PCC - 1/2-36
    7.5" AR 45cal PCC - .578x28
    1911 45cal Range Officer - .578x28
    Glock 19 9mm - 1/2-28
    SIG P229 9mm - 13.5x1LH

The first firearm I planned to test this kit on was my AR9 PCC. This is one of my favorite guns in the safe and the one out of the above list I shoot the most. Unfortunetly, QB didnt have the 1/2-36 piston/entrance cap in stock when they shipped my package. Talking with them earlier this week, they were making more this week and would get one right out to me.

So I will probably just test the SIG or 1911 first, then do the AR9 when the piston comes.

For those that dont have QB's 9 or 45 kits, you can buy them essentially in 2 different configs or buy parts to be able to switch back and forth between fixed barrel and pistol which is how my kit is setup. Essentially, what that means is, your tube is full of cups all the way to the back and you get a threaded SS entrance cap in whatever thread pitch you want to be fired on a fixed barrel rifle like a pistol caliber carbine.

If you want to fire your kit on a pistol, you need to buy the booster pack along with pistons for each thread pitch you need just like any retail suppressor on the market. You then switch pistons when you want to screw your can on different thread pitch pistols like 13.5x1 LH for say a SIG, or .578x28 for a 45, etc.

To install the booster in this QB 45 kit, you remove 2 cups. This kit has 1 SS cup and the rest are aluminum. You always want that SS cup as the first baffle in the stack taking the initial blast out of the muzzle. So you remove 2 aluminum cups then put the SS back in and then screw the booster into the back of the tube. You then drop your piston into the back of the booster, drop the spring over the booster and screw on the back cap to hold the piston into the booster assembly. Youre now ready to screw your suppressor onto your pistol.

Now, the big difference between this QB kit and my other retail pistol caliber suppressors is the retail cans always use a booster housing. It is permanently welded into the tube. When you want to shoot on a pistol you install your piston and spring and your ready to go. When you want to put it on your fixed barrel rifle, you still use pistons, you just remove the spring from the booster housing and you drop in a fixed barrel spacer in place of the spring and tighten the end cap up. This locks the piston in place so it cannot move, which it does not need to on a fixed barrel firearm.

I explain all this, because I will be testing this QuietBore kit both ways on my 9mm PCC fixed barrel rifle. With the tube full of cups and the threaded entrance cap installed. But, I will also test it with the booster housing installed and a piston with a fixed barrel spacer. I picked up a Rugged fixed barrel spacer which fits in this booster housing perfectly but is a tad too long so Ill turn it down to the correct size for this QB housing. You may ask why. Well I want to see if there is any performance difference in both sound reduction, 1st round pop, and accuracy with and without the housing. When the housing is installed, its essentially creating a blast chamber like my other retail suppressors I own. Without the housing and the tube full of cups, there is no blast chamber present. I want to see if there is a difference.

As an FYI, the QuietBore pistol kits utilize Advanced Armament Corp A.S.A.P. Pistons. So you can buy these pistons for your kits from other vendors if you are unable to get one from QB. After my testing, Ill give my feedback to QB on the fixed barrel spacer setup. If there is a performance difference, maybe they can start carrying this part as well and maybe make the booster setup permanent....We shall see.

Last edited:
    Looks good. I’ll be getting one of their pistol kits soon. Hopefully file the eform today. I’ve been getting enough guys interested that I might spring for the drill kit for the 9mm and the 22 this time around also. I’ll wait for your review of the 45 on the 9

Reactions: padom
    Looks good. I’ll be getting one of their pistol kits soon. Hopefully file the eform today. I’ve been getting enough guys interested that I might spring for the drill kit for the 9mm and the 22 this time around also. I’ll wait for your review of the 45 on the 9

My Rugged Obsidian 45 is stupid quiet shooting 9mm. They included a 9mm end cap when i bought the Obsidian 45. I never use it, sound is just as quiet using the 45 end cap..

Thanks again for the start of another informative thread. I hope like hell you will be able to hit the range this weekend and post some videos. Trapped in China and have two approved stamps that need drilling and would love to see some results and videos.

Once again, submitted forms and haven’t received my control number/cover sheet. Maybe Monday...

Thanks again for the start of another informative thread. I hope like hell you will be able to hit the range this weekend and post some videos. Trapped in China and have two approved stamps that need drilling and would love to see some results and videos.

Sorry not gonna happen. If I can get a job done quick enough Monday morning I'm gonna try to get out Monday afternoon otherwise not till the following week. I'm going out of town Tuesday morning.

Reactions: Juggerxxx
    Sorry not gonna happen. If I can get a job done quick enough Monday morning I'm gonna try to get out Monday afternoon otherwise not till the following week. I'm going out of town Tuesday morning.

Any update on this? Did you use their drilling fixture or something else?

Yea I got some video. Still in raw format. Need to put the videos together for posting and then will update the thread. Yes, I used their 45 fixture.

Did you try different ammo during your testing? As in different grain bullets or if handloading different powder charges?
    I found that my QB 9mm would not cycle with 115gr or 124gr factory ammo or handloads. The only thing that will cycle for me is 147gr handloads. I even tried a 13lbs spring in my Glock 17 with the lighter projectiles.

Did you try different ammo during your testing? As in different grain bullets or if handloading different powder charges?
    I found that my QB 9mm would not cycle with 115gr or 124gr factory ammo or handloads. The only thing that will cycle for me is 147gr handloads. I even tried a 13lbs spring in my Glock 17 with the lighter projectiles.

Yea I did. 185gr and 230gr

Alright guys. Here the link to the new SS and Ti cups you can buy for the QB 45 kit!! Now you can replace the Aluminum cups it came with so you can run up to 300blk subs and throw them in your Ultrasonic which you cant do with aluminum.

I have mine setup to run 9mm, 40cal, 45 and 300blk subs all in this kit.

Get your orders in now!!

Well there has only been 3 orders for 45 kits... 1 Ti and 2 SS. Cant tool up and run for 3 orders. Let alone buy a bar of Ti for 1 kit. Ssoo, if you want these you better get your order in asap or those 3 orders will be refunded and none will be made.

Well there has only been 3 orders for 45 kits... 1 Ti and 2 SS. Cant tool up and run for 3 orders. Let alone buy a bar of Ti for 1 kit. Ssoo, if you want these you better get your order in asap or those 3 orders will be refunded and none will be made.

Bummer. I have one of the SS kits on order. I was looking forward to them.

I agree.
    That sucks...

Yea it really does. Had tons of people PM me asking for 45 Ti cups all fall and now that they are ready for order only 3 people placed orders.... Not sure why all the guys that bought 45 kits wouldnt want Ti or SS vs the aluminum that came in the 45 kits. Those wont last and cant be cleaned in UltraSonic.

I ordered one of the all-SS kits... Hoping that the orders start coming in!

I'm in for a SS/Ti kit. Thinking this might be a 1 and done type of deal, better order now. Will hold off on ordering the tube and end caps until I get a conformation...

I agree.

Yea it really does. Had tons of people PM me asking for 45 Ti cups all fall and now that they are ready for order only 3 people placed orders.... Not sure why all the guys that bought 45 kits wouldnt want Ti or SS vs the aluminum that came in the 45 kits. Those wont last and cant be cleaned in UltraSonic.
    How many orders do you need to commit to making them?

Need 4 more SS to make SS and 6 more Ti to make the Ti as of yesterday. Based off the replys in this thread it looks like we may be close to making the SS happen.

Rookie question. Would this work instead of the rugged in the booster? It looks like it would to me since its same brand. I just dont have a way to turn down the rugged one. Nevrmind, I thought the booster was AAC but its the piston.

*edit* anyone have a spacer that didn't need to be trimmed down that works with the booster?

Last edited:
    Rookie question. Would this work instead of the rugged in the booster? It looks like it would to me since its same brand. I just dont have a way to turn down the rugged one. Nevrmind, I thought the booster was AAC but its the piston.

*edit* anyone have a spacer that didn't need to be trimmed down that works with the booster?

I thought I had one sitting here to test for you but I cant find it. They have a new version available now that doesnt look like that.

Ok guys, here's the latest. We need 1 more SS order to run the SS cups and we need 1 more Ti order to run the Ti cups.

If you are on the fence, and want to shoot 9mm, 40 or 45 on a Form 1 and want a quality kit with quality components this is your chance. Get your orders placed.

Ok guys, here's the latest. We need 1 more SS order to run the SS cups and we need 1 more Ti order to run the Ti cups.

If you are on the fence, and want to shoot 9mm, 40 or 45 on a Form 1 and want a quality kit with quality components this is your chance. Get your orders placed.
    I just made another order for the Ti+SS kit, I'm not taking any chances with not getting these. Let's get these coming!

I just made another order for the Ti+SS kit, I'm not taking any chances with not getting these. Let's get these coming!
    Shit Dom, I clicked the "add two additional Ti cups" on my second order but it didn't take it on check out; I sent them a request to add them to the order so i won't pay another $20 for two cups with more shipping. Are they good about checking emails and getting back to guys or do I need a phone number to call them??

Are you making ti cups for the 45, 9 or both? I would be interested in a 9 kit with one ss and the rest ti.

Shit Dom, I clicked the "add two additional Ti cups" on my second order but it didn't take it on check out; I sent them a request to add them to the order so i won't pay another $20 for two cups with more shipping. Are they good about checking emails and getting back to guys or do I need a phone number to call them??
    PM me your order #

Are you making ti cups for the 45, 9 or both? I would be interested in a 9 kit with one ss and the rest ti.

Exactly what is on the site and stated. 45. I find no reason to do anything with 9 as I use my 45 for all pistol calibers. Same with my Rugged Obsidian 45...no sound difference when I tested 45 and 9 dedicated cans

Your fine. They will email you back Monday morning and make sure it's all in the same box.

Exactly what is on the site and stated. 45. I find no reason to do anything with 9 as I use my 45 for all pistol calibers. Same with my Rugged Obsidian 45...no sound difference when I tested 45 and 9 dedicated cans
    The 1.25 OD fits inside my hand guards (1.3 ID) where the 1.375 OD does not.

Thanks for the reply. I can only meet 2 of the required 10 between a coworker and I. We have been talking about this the last couple days. I know his interest was in the smaller OD as it provided less obstruction of the view of the front sight on his pistols. His preference was to not use tall sights. I dont disagree with him though my platforms have or will have red dot sights so that's not a make or break for me.

Whats the word on 30 cal cups and threaded ends? Trying to decide whether to order the whole thing or just a tube? If they aren't going to get made do you have a rec for a different solvent trap kit thats not two lbs and sounds decent?

Cups are a go. Still waiting on final end caps to confirm working.. 45 cups were being run and a fee other runs in line before the caps... Hopefully soon

Thank you. It looks like QB doesn't sell the cap for the barrel end separately, only the exit cap. Soon as I can place an order for cups and cap i'm in.

Thank you. It looks like QB doesn't sell the cap for the barrel end separately, only the exit cap. Soon as I can place an order for cups and cap i'm in.

I would just buy the whole thing, It comes with two entrance caps. Then get the replacements as they become available.

Damn it looks like the snipershide coupon is only 10% off now.

Last edited:
    The guys over at QuietBore were nice enough to send me another kit to test and review. This time I requested a 45cal kit with multiple pistons/threaded entrance caps to test their kit on various 9mm and 45cal firearms. I received my approved Form 1 from the ATF for this build and the kit from Quietbore. I opted for the 45 kit so I can shoot both 9mm and 45cal through the kit just like I do with my Rugged Obsidian 45.

They sent me all the different pistons and threaded end caps so I could test this kit on everything I normally shoot my Rugged Obsidian 45 on. That list consists of the following:

7.5" AR 9mm PCC - 1/2-36
    7.5" AR 45cal PCC - .578x28
    1911 45cal Range Officer - .578x28
    Glock 19 9mm - 1/2-28
    SIG P229 9mm - 13.5x1LH

The first firearm I planned to test this kit on was my AR9 PCC. This is one of my favorite guns in the safe and the one out of the above list I shoot the most. Unfortunetly, QB didnt have the 1/2-36 piston/entrance cap in stock when they shipped my package. Talking with them earlier this week, they were making more this week and would get one right out to me.

So I will probably just test the SIG or 1911 first, then do the AR9 when the piston comes.

For those that dont have QB's 9 or 45 kits, you can buy them essentially in 2 different configs or buy parts to be able to switch back and forth between fixed barrel and pistol which is how my kit is setup. Essentially, what that means is, your tube is full of cups all the way to the back and you get a threaded SS entrance cap in whatever thread pitch you want to be fired on a fixed barrel rifle like a pistol caliber carbine.

If you want to fire your kit on a pistol, you need to buy the booster pack along with pistons for each thread pitch you need just like any retail suppressor on the market. You then switch pistons when you want to screw your can on different thread pitch pistols like 13.5x1 LH for say a SIG, or .578x28 for a 45, etc.

To install the booster in this QB 45 kit, you remove 2 cups. This kit has 1 SS cup and the rest are aluminum. You always want that SS cup as the first baffle in the stack taking the initial blast out of the muzzle. So you remove 2 aluminum cups then put the SS back in and then screw the booster into the back of the tube. You then drop your piston into the back of the booster, drop the spring over the booster and screw on the back cap to hold the piston into the booster assembly. Youre now ready to screw your suppressor onto your pistol.

Now, the big difference between this QB kit and my other retail pistol caliber suppressors is the retail cans always use a booster housing. It is permanently welded into the tube. When you want to shoot on a pistol you install your piston and spring and your ready to go. When you want to put it on your fixed barrel rifle, you still use pistons, you just remove the spring from the booster housing and you drop in a fixed barrel spacer in place of the spring and tighten the end cap up. This locks the piston in place so it cannot move, which it does not need to on a fixed barrel firearm.

I explain all this, because I will be testing this QuietBore kit both ways on my 9mm PCC fixed barrel rifle. With the tube full of cups and the threaded entrance cap installed. But, I will also test it with the booster housing installed and a piston with a fixed barrel spacer. I picked up a Rugged fixed barrel spacer which fits in this booster housing perfectly but is a tad too long so Ill turn it down to the correct size for this QB housing. You may ask why. Well I want to see if there is any performance difference in both sound reduction, 1st round pop, and accuracy with and without the housing. When the housing is installed, its essentially creating a blast chamber like my other retail suppressors I own. Without the housing and the tube full of cups, there is no blast chamber present. I want to see if there is a difference.

As an FYI, the QuietBore pistol kits utilize Advanced Armament Corp A.S.A.P. Pistons. So you can buy these pistons for your kits from other vendors if you are unable to get one from QB. After my testing, Ill give my feedback to QB on the fixed barrel spacer setup. If there is a performance difference, maybe they can start carrying this part as well and maybe make the booster setup permanent....We shall see.

Is there any chance you could list the part numbers for the items you ordered?
    I just got my Form 1 and want to do a similar build for a 9mm CZ, 1911 45cal, and Sig MPX carbine.
    Thanks,
    cclaxton

So here's a question or two. I bought a QB 22 Ti kit, but haven't gotten the form 1 approval yet so it sits patiently waiting. But, is there any concern using SS and Ti cups with an aluminum tube? Seems like a weak point for me. I wish QB would make Ti tubes. Also, I want to build a 45 for use on my 10mm banshee sbr, so I won't need a booster, but I will need a spacer. I'd also like to use an QD mount, any ideas of how to integrate all of that together? Lots of mismatched questions, sorry it's late ;)

Here's a better question @padom: when are these Brandywine SS & Ti cups going to be done and shipped?

Well with everything going on, our state governor putting us all on lockdown, shutting down all non essential businesses, etc things aren't moving like normal. I talked to them last week they had everything but the last op in the mill done then were ready to ship this week. Not sure if that happened or not with the shutdown. Ill be talking to them today and get an update.

Well with everything going on, our state governor putting us all on lockdown, shutting down all non essential businesses, etc things aren't moving like normal. I talked to them last week they had everything but the last op in the mill done then were ready to ship this week. Not sure if that happened or not with the shutdown. Ill be talking to them today and get an update.

That's great news if they are able to ship soon. I just received my form 1 approval for my 45 kit and would like to drill the holes in the cups I ordered from brandywine. Thanks for the update!

I just talked to them this morning. SS should be finished up and shipping next week. Ti is looking at about 2 weeks as there was shipping delays from that supplier with everything going on but it just arrived.

Reactions: stevieb92
    I just talked to them this morning. SS should be finished up and shipping next week. Ti is looking at about 2 weeks as there was shipping delays from that supplier with everything going on but it just arrived.
    Good to hear. I ordered two Ti sets and have been chomping at the bit to get this finished.

Okay, what flavor of 9mm subs do you guys like with your QB 45 cans? Ive been shooting Sellier & Bellot 150 gr (only because I have so much of it) and its not quiet. Doppler shows 995 fps average, nothing over 1010 fps. So far, personally, I'm not crazy about the sound performance of the QB .45 as my buddy's Rugged 45 is stupid quiet with this ammo.

If I can't figure this thing out its gonna become a dedicated 300BLK can, and I'll order up a Rugged for 9 and .45 work...

Well my Rugged 45 and QB 45 are identical sound wise side by side. I shoot Xtreme 165gr with 3.5gr VV N340...stupid quite and hits like sledge on steel. I haven't found anything quieter

Here my son shooting my AR9 with the 165gr Xtreme's. Stupid quite, accurate. So much fun to shoot

Last edited:
    Did you ever test it with a space instead of the full baffle stack? Do you think this SS Ti setup would handle 10mm, even the hot Underwood loads?

Did you ever test it with a space instead of the full baffle stack? Do you think this SS Ti setup would handle 10mm, even the hot Underwood loads?

I only run mine with the booster with a straight barrel spacer. Never ran it with full baffle stack... yes it will handle 10mm just fine