• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quietest 300BO precision rig build. TB vs AE30 vs Liberty

RickyRodney

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2014
MD
Okay I plan to build a precision 300BO with a 1-10x vortex for thermal hunting. I currently have a 10.5" rainier ultra match barrel and a seekins receiver and 12" handguard. Goals are accuracy and all out suppression. Which way would you guys go?

#1 have liberty build a suppressor with my barrel. Supposed to be super quiet, cons-being expensive and barrel suppressor essentially married.

#2 TB Magnus/338 ultra. Need a different hand guard since the 10" is too long for the barrel. Plan to run an Arca just past the end of the haandguaard to give more room. for the bipod. Plus the cans can get used all over my other platforms, and the 338 is ridiculously quiet on 300BO. Cons- cost, current barrel and hand guard wont work.

#3 send barrel to get fitted for AE30 and run what I currently have. Cons-will it be as quiet as the thunder beast? I have my doubts but want to hear from the forum.

I run a YHM Phantom SS on my 10.5 inch and it is quiet with sub rounds. With supers, it still cracks. My neighbor says he doesn’t hear me when I am out shooting, all he hears is the steel clanging

Aren't you hearing ejection port pop anyway? Regardless of how quiet the muzzle is?
In the grand scheme of things it isn’t that loud with subs.

Hell for that matter, load up some 150s with trailboss and it won’t even cycle the action so you can do away with port noise altogether.
I guess you could always go adjustable GB and shut it down completely, but kinda defeats the purpose of a semi auto?

There are other pieces to the puzzle other than just the can. If you are truly trying to make the gun as quiet as possible you will need an adjustable gas block. Suppression has a lot to do with tone. A suppressor can technically be rated to have fewer db but a can with a lower tone rated higher will be identified by the shooter and bystanders as quieter.

All that being said, in regards to 300 blackout specifically, I have not heard a quieter can than the Q Full Nelson.

I have two 300BLK's but my main go to for killing is still the OG, my 9" AAC MPW with a AAC SDN-6 can. That system rocks and the can was developed with the caliber in mind. Twelve years of use on pigs and other varmints and it still continues to impress myself and others. I plan to put together a Sig Spear LT 300BLK SBR for use at home.

gnKYs4v.jpg

Well everyone raves about the tone of the ops inc ./AE cans. I suppose I will consider going that route. And yes of course an adjustable gas block.

Okay I plan to build a precision 300BO with a 1-10x vortex for thermal hunting. I currently have a 10.5" rainier ultra match barrel and a seekins receiver and 12" handguard. Goals are accuracy and all out suppression. Which way would you guys go?

#1 have liberty build a suppressor with my barrel. Supposed to be super quiet, cons-being expensive and barrel suppressor essentially married.

#2 TB Magnus/338 ultra. Need a different hand guard since the 10" is too long for the barrel. Plan to run an Arca just past the end of the haandguaard to give more room. for the bipod. Plus the cans can get used all over my other platforms, and the 338 is ridiculously quiet on 300BO. Cons- cost, current barrel and hand guard wont work.

#3 send barrel to get fitted for AE30 and run what I currently have. Cons-will it be as quiet as the thunder beast? I have my doubts but want to hear from the forum.
Dead Air Nomad-LT, Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L, or TBAC Magnus are the top 3 quietest .30 cal suppressors on the market.

CGS Hyperion or Q Full nelson.

Personally I'd get a tapered barrel and run the Hyperion.

I don't see the sound levels for the mentioned cans. My PTP Master Chief is rated at 119.9 dB for 300 BO. All I know is I hear bolt noise and bullet impact on target.

It’s a high pressure optimized can like KAC QDC, SF RC2 (not SPS 300), etc. so a can built for subsonic performance or tuned to 300blk will always sound better.

The Magnus is a 1.85” can isn’t it? That’s purty big to get under hand guard…

Are we talking about hunting with subs? I have shot deer with a 9mm APC9 and 147gr gold dots, but it was a perfect broadside at 25y. Not arguing it can’t be done at all but a huge boar with a thick armor plate or something at further distances will have recovery issues - a 300BLK has no real benefit here but certainly isn’t less effective than alternatives.

If we are talking supers I prefer .223 or other calibers for the much flatter trajectory since estimating range with a thermal is almost impossible. The noise increase is negligible.

Are we talking about hunting with subs? I have shot deer with a 9mm APC9 and 147gr gold dots, but it was a perfect broadside at 25y. Not arguing it can’t be done at all but a huge boar with a thick armor plate or something at further distances will have recovery issues - a 300BLK has no real benefit here but certainly isn’t less effective than alternatives.

If we are talking supers I prefer .223 or other calibers for the much flatter trajectory since estimating range with a thermal is almost impossible. The noise increase is negligible.

Discreet ballistics selous is effectively used on deer & hogs

Yeah, firearms pushing pistol bullet weight projectiles at pistol bullet velocities should be expected to perform- more or less- like pistols.

Sometimes “different” is enough. I like a short, light weight 300 BO for sitting in a bow blind during the general firearms season.

Reactions: tex68w

Port pop, particular can, barrel length, ammo, etc. all play a factor here but between 300BLK supersonic suppressed and 223/556 suppressed I still feel that to my ear the 300BLK supers suppressed are quieter.

Is a bolt action out of the question? I have a 16” Ruger American that is stupid quiet. I use either an Omega or 762-SDN-6 (converted to SilencerCo ASR mount)

The Otter Creek has an OD of 1.625" and the Seekins handguard has an ID of 1.8" is that enough clearance? 0.088" seems tight. Do you guys think it would still work? I was thinking it might but would contact any mlok screw etc. for attachments. Has anyone tried one?

Is a bolt action out of the question? I have a 16” Ruger American that is stupid quiet. I use either an Omega or 762-SDN-6 (converted to SilencerCo ASR mount)
If I do that...its DT Covert and go all in. 8.6 creed/300BO etc.

Reactions: SBRSarge
The quietest cartridge will be the one that uses the least/fastest powder. You can get down to 6grs in a 16" blackout. Not too sure about an 8.6 but I think it's around 12 - 15grs. 375 Raptor seems to be around 15 - 16grs. In a cartridge comparison of sound, the 8.6 seems like a low value. Also seems more complex to form brass. The challenge with Raptor is die availability but I have die reamers now so my gunsmith can make a set of dies from die blanks. If you're considering other subsonic cartridges but lack the right suppressor take a look at Suppressed Weapons Systems. They make integrally suppressed barrels for DTAs.

Also, Maker has .375 400gr expanding subs in stock currently.
Wealth of info as usual. Much appreciated.

Reactions: reubenski
The quietest cartridge will be the one that uses the least/fastest powder. You can get down to 6grs in a 16" blackout. Not too sure about an 8.6 but I think it's around 12 - 15grs. 375 Raptor seems to be around 15 - 16grs. In a cartridge comparison of sound, the 8.6 seems like a low value. Also seems more complex to form brass. The challenge with Raptor is die availability but I have die reamers now so my gunsmith can make a set of dies from die blanks. If you're considering other subsonic cartridges but lack the right suppressor take a look at Suppressed Weapons Systems. They make integrally suppressed barrels for DTAs.

Also, Maker has .375 400gr expanding subs in stock currently.
We have five rifles from Suppressed Weapon Systems at work in 5.56. A friend bought a 300 blackout. They are definitely worth a look. As a bonus, they are one tax stamp. guns since the total barrel/suppressor length is over 16”.

swsrifles.com

Reactions: reubenski
Hate to say it, but for quiet, barrel length is your friend... just sucks to move with it.

Used to have a threaded 24inch barrel 22... man it was quiet, and fuckin long with a kodiak on there. Using the same can 16 12 10 inch barrels all notably louder. The same with 300 blk or 9mm. A 16 barrel 300blk will outquiet a 10 incher all day with everything else equal.

The desert tech gets my vote lol. Sbr it, run whatever you like. Get an 8 inch 300blk for sorta quiet and moving and a 16 or 20 for mo betta quiet from a stand lol.

I have seen those integral barrels for the dta.... they are tempting, but i have no hands on with them unfortunately.

One thing i have noticed... it seems easier to get good groups in shorter subsonic barrels... ymmv of course.

IF quiet is priority, do consider barrel length as something to tweak as well.

Reactions: RickyRodney
I'ma just leave this right here.....

9grs of powder to push a 300gr bullet and using 90% case capacity. Hard to beat that for subsonic performance.

If I was going to use it close in that would be great. I want to try for some far out subsonic hits.