• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Quietest integral Mk3?

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    The title says it. BTW, I just picked up my first yesterday, the SDN-6, and realized how stupid I was to get THAT one first! Should have waited and made that the second one... But I like it. I just would have gotten way more use out of the .22, especially when I'm out of handloads and don't want to go to the range.

In the mid-90's, I fired an S&H integral Mk2. It was damn quiet, the loudest noise was the bullet hitting the can. Quite literally, I'm not exaggerating, and this was with full power or HV ammo. I think he used CCI Stingers, but it has been a while. Quieter than many air rifles, and I've wanted one ever since.

So Curtis is still making them, and I've asked around about others and I hear a million different things. And of course the manufacturers all say theirs are the best.

With the .22, I have to be able to take it apart to clean it, that is a must and would rule out any choice no matter how quiet it comes, because it won't stay that way for long with the use I intend. This pistol will be used a LOT, as in 1000+ rounds per week at least, and I don't want it turning into an unsuppressed pistol when it gets full of lead and lube.

Anybody shoot a few different ones that can tell me which one I should go with? I really appreciate any comments, especially ones that will compare at least two or more specimens. Thanks!

Oh, and I'll probably go the integral route with the 10/22 also, so if anyone has anything to add about that, it would be appreciated as well.

Re: Quietest integral Mk3?

I got to shoot my new AWC Amphibian today for the first time it was great very quite. I have non others to compare to however. Thanks PG

Hey thanks for the reply. I may have to sign up to Silencertalk to ask this question though to get enough.

How's it shoot? It sure looks nice, probably the nicest looking one of them all. Also, how long is your barrel? Curtis at S&H told me to use a 6" for best results (after modification it is 8" I think).

Also, can you take the Amphibian apart yet? I read they were changing it so you could. For the use it will get, I have to be able to disassemble it, that is a must.

I guess I should ask this too... Since technology has changed a little bit since the mid 90's, it makes me wonder if any of the thread on .22 cans perform as well as the integrals?

I'd still need to be able to take it apart, and it would have to be at least as quiet as an integral. I know it would be longer, but that is of little consequence of a pistol that will almost never leave the backyard.

So anyone with an integral and a thread on .22 can, chime on in!

If you have the pistol barrel cut and threaded at 2" and you have a 6" suppressor, you still are not any longer than an integral. Velocity is not that important as the shorter barrel will allow brick ammo to be shot subsonic.

Also, some of the best .22 cans cannot be taken apart to clean. After a lot of research, I settled on a Thunderbeast 22L-1 which cannot be taken apart. However, being titanium, it stands up to the chemicals which break down the fouling and can be cleaned by soaking. Just something to consider.

I have a Norrell built one and it is very quiet, and he will rebuilt them with QUICK turnaround - sent it in on a Thursday and he emailed me on Monday that it was done - . And as an added bonus it is super accurate!!!

No need to even go integral if your not tapping gas to drop what would a supersonic HV to subsonic. A 2" barrel would be a waste of just about everything that would make an integral worth doing. 2"? Buy a blast can. You want the round to get above super sonic so, when it is tapped back down, you get maximum range, maximum terminal force, maximum purge in the can.

I would also remind folks that a single hole is all that is needed, no swiss cheese barrels since the late '80s. Shoot copper plated HVs and you dont need to give a second thought to a can that comes apart. There are a whole host of reasons why a can that comes apart in an integral .22 is not the way to go. I have seen performing cans with over 45,000 rounds through them. What is important is buying a unit that places the barrel under compression to greatly aid accuracy.

Thanks, I'll look up Norrell. I recall hearing about them a while back and had completely forgot. It is those quality small outfits that I'm looking for. Hell, I'd have never considered S&H personally, had I not actually tried one. Their site sucks and has no pictures at all, they "look" worse than Red Jacket, so why would you?

Yeah, I'm pretty set on an integral that comes apart. I've wanted an integral Mk2, now a Mk3, since I shot that one in the 90's. I think I'd like to go stainless, but Cerakoted black.

He said to send him a 6" bbl. pistol or order one from him that way in order to get the best results, both in accuracy and noise reduction. I suspect he only uses the one hole to port it as well. The 2" I mention is the space in front of the 6" barrel as the finished pistol looks like an 8" bull barrel (the baffle stack is likely 2"). It has a removeable endcap, just two holes either side of the muzzle to accept a key wrench.

Remember, MARK1 or MARKII only. If "quietest" is your goal, the MARKIIIs are off the list unless you are going to rebarrel and rechamber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember, MARK1 or MARKII only. If "quietest" is your goal, the MARKIIIs are off the list unless you are going to rebarrel and rechamber. </div></div>

Does AWC rechamber their mark3's or would a mark3 Badlander come with a factory chamber?

Looking forward to your response. Thanks.

I do not know, But I would guess only if you upgrade to a new match barrel.
    Mark IIIs suck, avoid them for a whole host of reasons.

Ruger is the undisputed leader in dumb ideas applied to .22 pistols...

thCAY0WVDK.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember, MARK1 or MARKII only. If "quietest" is your goal, the MARKIIIs are off the list unless you are going to rebarrel and rechamber. </div></div>

What does Ruger do that is so terrible to the MKIII's that makes rechambering necessary?

I realize the loaded chamber indicator which interacts with the case rim is a bad idea, but was unaware of a chamber problem.

My MKII actually works pretty well. My 10/22 on the other hand has a KIDD 6" barrel and isn't very reliable- probably the chamber is too tight for reliable feeding- it's mangling bullets and failing to fully chamber about 20% of the time currently.

The Kidd barrel however is fantastically quiet with my Checkmate II. The crown is a bazaar ~3/8" drill plunged about .6" deep and that in effect makes the suppressor perform as if it is .6" longer.

Sloppy new chambering creates distinctive back pop when suppressed. It a pretty obvious and disappointing. I was told that the idea was to allow folks to shoot endless rounds without ever needing to clean their IIIs. These rigs run filthy now, blowing all sorts of crap back when suppressed.

We would also add to that list:

1. That which you already mentioned, the chamber indicator. Lets all sorts of crap in.
    2. Inability to cycle slide with mag out.
    3. Inability to fire when mag is out.
    4. Inability to have the mag free drop now.
    5. A reversed mag insertion locks the gun up until a tool is used.
    6. New mag
    7. Very poorly formed and poorly heat treated firing pin.

and the list goes on...

You can toss all the Calicrap and take care of the chamber and they are great pistols. I start with IIs now.

pop.jpg

I do notice the chamber pop on my Mk3 vs my gsg 22. Especially on the last round of the mag when the bolt locks back.

I just emailed AWC asking if they run the factory MK3 chamber.

Ill let you guys know how i feel about my Mk3 badlender when i pick it up in the next couple weeks.

Wow RollingThunder51, thanks a lot, and I really mean that. Your post was probably the most useful overall as that basically affects my decision regardless of who makes it. That would really have been piss in my Cheerios if I'd gone with the Mk3 as I was unaware of a lot of those differences. I hate mag safeties too, with a passion, and would prefer to not have to disable them. I was unaware that the Mk2 IS the upgrade to the Mk3! But whatever, it's a weapon, it only needs to be so safe in my opinion.

I suppose some may, and I could have, the Mk3 modded to suit me and integral suppression better, but I don't have an issue with the Mk2 and upon further comparison, it offers more of the features I'm looking for "out of the box" and less of the ones I'm not.

I searched and ran across some other builds, but a lot of folks also say the S&H is uber quiet, and that is my experience as well and I also know that it will suit my purposes, so unless someone actually knows of one that is quieter and comes apart too, then I'll probably go with the S&H. I also know the guy has been making them longer than just about anyone else out there and his reputation has held up all these years. Nobody says he makes junk and nobody claims his integrals are anything but quiet.

But now that I know more about the cons of the Mk3 itself, I'll make sure to find a good Mk2 6" target model in stainless to use as my basis (unless he says taper will work the same once turned on the lathe). It'll cost me less, and they are kind of popular and easier to find used ones with little wear at gun shows. I can select my own target sights, go with "his", or perhaps recess mount a J-Point, Burris or RMR mini dot sight. That would be fun I'd think, and that is the point of this pistol, practice and fun.

I'm really stoked about getting this pistol, and my wife wants it pretty bad too. You don't want to miss opportunities like that! I didn't have an issue waiting for my SDN-6 to come back, but I'll probably be counting the days on this one. In addition to waiting on it, I have to have it built and sent to my dealer first too! Oh well, better get it going.

Thanks again for all the replies, and big thanks to RollingThunder51 regarding that Mk3, you saved me a lot of headache had I not caught that on my own!