• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quit Tobacco....

Goldbeachman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2008
Gold Beach Oregon
8th day w/o chew. 4th day without any nicotine of any type. So far my least popular uttering to wife was: "Fuck recycling..., you wash it out." Gotta say, doing pretty good I think....

Re: Quit Tobacco....

I quit my 18 year usage of Copenhagen several years back. Best of luck, it seems that you have a good grip on it, as the physical addiction has already passed. The mental addiction is the next step. Stay strong.

I think you will find that if you can go another 4 days, it will be entirely mental after that.

Try to up your water intake, and low strength over the counter laxatives help counteract the sudden depletion of a natural laxative in your body if your diet doesn't already encourage digestion.

You the man brother, it has been 15 days for me. Quit Copenhagen cold turkey. The first 5 days were the hardest, I chewed so much bubble gum it hurt my jaws, LOL. Keep it up daddio, it gets easier with every day.

Well thank you all! I gotta tell you, I've taken off 3 days of work due to my nearly homicidal mental state. Yet, at times, I do feel a certain mental clarity that I haven't felt in a long time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavScout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you will find that if you can go another 4 days, it will be entirely mental after that.

Try to up your water intake, and low strength over the counter laxatives help counteract the sudden depletion of a natural laxative in your body if your diet doesn't already encourage digestion.

</div></div>

Increasing water intake REALLY helped me quit smoking. I quit cold turkey after seeing how bad my APFT running scores would be. I've since seen a dramatic improvement in speed and endurance...funny how that works. You will be golden in the next couple days, stick with it!

I've increased water intake quite a bit and its helped a lot. Tonight I've increased whiskey intake and it has had no effect, good or bad. I think that since I would normally have a chew in every freaking waking moment except while eating, 24-7, and I never spit-just swallow, the use of alcohol is not associated with chewing, or vice a versa, at least for me. Thanks for the support!

As I quit, I would get that brutal headache. What I did was pop an aspirin (or other painkiller)about an hour before I would dip. Thus I stopped that vicious headache before it happened. Try it for what it is worth!!

Good luck bro. That thing in your pants that will be getting bigger will be your wallet. Other things too, I suppose...LOL.

hahahahah....glanced at the title header, and I thought I saw 'Quit Tabasco' and I'm wtf, why would anyone do that?

good on ya for quitting, used to smoke 'em, it's tough to drop.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Way to go! I just top shelved a second dip in your honor. </div></div>

LMAO!

Careful with the Whiskey Olin; I quit for 6 months once and one night of whiskey brought it all crashing down. I think it may have had something to do with impairing my judgment....Hahahaha!

-Pat

I chewed Cope for thirty years been off it for six. Takes a serious amount of wanta. Was chewing a can and a half a day, changed women and cut back to a half can a day. Kind of funny when think to your self" I'm going to take a chew and then do this or that" its like a reward before you do something. When you want one really bad but it smells bad you know you got it whipped. Good luck!

Went from 3 packs of Camel nonfilters every day to coldturkey. The damn sheetrock kept getting holes in it wher it didnt get out of the way of my fist quick enough. That was 27 years ago and will never touch another. Hate to even be in the same room with them.

Stay steady, in time the craving will pass....youll never regret it.

Rather than look at it as "Quitting" try and look at it as Living Life without it.. I quit cigs and after the cravings,smoking dreams, and overall ill temper (about a month) was over I began to feel better. Drink lots of water to flush out the nicoteen. Single most helpfull act for me was to get up right after eating and do the dishes or some other activity.. That seemed to help..
Hang in there, It will get better..
Been there and done that... and Damn Glad I did..
Just go through it.. No way around..
George of the Jungel

9 month cig-free. I feel fat and shorter of breath than when I smokes, don't have all that extra money I thought I'd have, but hey.......

I switched from Cope to Redman Snuff. Good shit and cheaper too.

I really, really want to quit smoking. I think about it every day. Several years ago I quit for 7 months and gained 25 lbs.
I know I have to get past the mental and just do it. I'm thinking of Chantrix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9 month cig-free. I feel fat and shorter of breath than when I smokes, don't have all that extra money I thought I'd have, but hey.......</div></div>

I'm guessing you replaced cigs with snacks and fatty cakes which eat up the savings and expand your waistline... which also has an effect on ability to breathe.

Did you document or make note of your eating habits prior to quitting?

If you want to see the savings, you need to "buy" cigarettes as you would have before but instead pay your piggy bank ( I prefer a 1 gallon jug). On an anniversary of your choosing (1 month, 2 months, etc) take it out and buy something you want with it.

You'll see the savings then.

Going on 8th year cig-free. You only get 1 body take care of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really, really want to quit smoking. I think about it every day. Several years ago I quit for 7 months and gained 25 lbs.
I know I have to get past the mental and just do it. I'm thinking of Chantrix. </div></div>

3PER,

When i went to my doc to get a prescription for Chantix (smoking cessation clinic), she recommended against it. She said there have been reported cases of psychotic episodes......I went with the patches, and they kick ass. Over a year without cigs. The patches really took the cravings away for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavScout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9 month cig-free. I feel fat and shorter of breath than when I smokes, don't have all that extra money I thought I'd have, but hey.......</div></div>

I'm guessing you replaced cigs with snacks and fatty cakes which eat up the savings and expand your waistline... which also has an effect on ability to breathe.

If you want to see the savings, you need to "buy" cigarettes as you would have before but instead pay your piggy bank ( I prefer a 1 gallon jug). On an anniversary of your choosing (1 month, 2 months, etc) take it out and buy something you want with it.

You'll see the savings then. </div></div>

Actually the quitting smoking isn't the only thing contributing to the waistline growing a pantsize-the sudden lack of walking miles and miles over jobsites everyday and the other activities that went along with running a grading crew all happened when the job market went to crap here, I hit my early forties, and I quit smoking...

I'm on my 16th can of Cope wintergreen since Tuesday. My problem isn't only that I have a dip in all day, but I also put about a third of a can in my lip at a time. Hell, with yall quitting, someone's gotta keep U.S. Smokeless Tobacco in business. When they start charging full price for the cope wintergreen I'm either gonna have to quit or I'm going to be one broke dick sob.

That's the tough thing to reconcile as, while I freely acknowledge that I was a disgusting 2-1/2 pack a day smoker up till October 1992, I have to admit we make damn good cigarettes in this country!

I still enjoy the smell of tobacco and feel badly for the producers and workers in the industry.

I simply could not keep the friggin things at arms length. While I never chewed or dipped, the wet end of a cigar is also a source of nicotine and I have "maintained" an unlit cigar on more than a few occasions!

While I sympathise with the declining prospects of the tobacco growers, I have no sympathy with the people who deceptively market, manipulate, lobby and bully those who for years tried to keep tobacco out of the reach of children or for years fought the unequivocal science proving how dangerous it is.

It would take me six weeks to go through that much snuff. A normal dip is a pinch.

Good for you Olin!
I have been contemplating kicking the habit my self, chewing a tin a day at $20 a tin here in canada is getting a litle rediculous. I just don't know if I have the will power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beale338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Good for you Olin!
I have been contemplating kicking the habit my self, chewing a tin a day at $20 a tin here in canada is getting a litle rediculous. I just don't know if I have the will power. </div></div>

Holy shit!!! $20 a can, I think I'd quit as well. I've been dipping RedMan finecut natural since Copenhagen went up to almost $6.00 a can here in Fla. I'ts the closest I've found to Cope yet.

$20 PER CAN!!!????????

Quit the crap for 20 years and you'll be able to retire in style....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LR-WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beale338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Good for you Olin!
I have been contemplating kicking the habit my self, chewing a tin a day at $20 a tin here in canada is getting a litle rediculous. I just don't know if I have the will power. </div></div>

Holy shit!!! $20 a can, I think I'd quit as well. I've been dipping RedMan finecut natural since Copenhagen went up to almost $6.00 a can here in Fla. I'ts the closest I've found to Cope yet. </div></div>

I used to dip the Redman wintergreen, switched over to Cope wintergreen when they came out. Now, when I pick up a can of the Redman it tastes "soapy" to me. That's f'd up. Paying $20/can is f'd up too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavScout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9 month cig-free. I feel fat and shorter of breath than when I smokes, don't have all that extra money I thought I'd have, but hey.......</div></div>

You'll see the savings then. </div></div>

Actually the quitting smoking isn't the only thing contributing to the waistline growing a pantsize-the sudden lack of walking miles and miles over jobsites everyday and the other activities that went along with running a grading crew all happened when the job market went to crap here, I hit my early forties, and I quit smoking...
</div></div>

No wonder you feel worse now. Try to do more exercise if you have time.

Either way, congrats on quitting!

I only go through about a can of Cope a week and been at that rate for many years. I figure if I don't go over that I am never going to entertain quiting. I lose some of my shooting ranges this time of year to tobacco plants so I am definitely in the tobacco belt. Hell a man's got to have something...I don't drink a lot and don't whore around, cheat on the wife, eat pain pills etc.....and there are just times I really enjoy a fresh dip! I don't think I can ride a horse or tractor without a dip. Cope is a little over $4 here.

That said, good luck to you!

Yup $20 a can!! I was in Fla not to long ago a stocked up but they only let you bring back so much, it didn't last long so now I'm back to spending 20 a can. I love the stuff but it's just getting to expensive!

holy crap...$20 a can? I pay $3.69 for a can of grizzly wintergreen at the local 7/11. I think copenhagen is about $4.50.

I thought cigarettes in NYC were expensive. Jeez...

What's the rationale behind such high prices?

You're in British Columbia, just switch to weed. hahah

yeah, but you have the best strip clubs in the western world.

Are you unable to go down to Washington to stock up every now and then?

Funnily enough, before the cartels started getting realllly bad, I knew of guys that would go to Tijuana to get better prices on cigarettes.

Things get cheaper when you go south I guess.

My late father always told me "Son never be a Quiter", but I dont think he was talking about my Cope habit, so everytime he would ask when I was going to quit I always said, you told me to never be a Quiter Dad.....LOL and we both would laugh,,,,

I really need to quit too!

Nice job Olin, I quite about 3 years ago. I waited until I had the Flu really bad. After 4 days of puking and crapping with only fluid intake i figured the nicotine was out of my system and the rest was all mental. I think that drinking a ton of water, nawwing on some Jim Beam sunflower seeds and check out what particular vitamins you should need to help offset your quitting. Good Luck

Stay with it brother it gets better. I chewed Cope for 25 years, gave it up cold turkey 6 years ago. The wife says I was quite cranky for about a month to 45 days, but she quit complaining after she disappeared!
smile.gif

Seriously, think long term and lose the habit.

Congrats - I'm spacing smokes further and further apart, yesterday morning I waited a couple hours to have one.

My g/f quit a few weeks back. I'm next.

While I can still hold my own just fine in the dojo I have an adrenaline induced asthma and Karate will do better from quitting...

Keep it up!!

Thanks for all the support everyone and for all those thinking about or trying to quit, good job! On thursday it will have been two weeks and I'm pretty stoked. Still got the cravers but only like every 30 seconds or so now...lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beale338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The rationale behind it is I live in Canada so I get F@#$ED!!!! </div></div>

Years ago, the chick I was dating went skiing on Canada and brought me back a can of Canadian Copenhagen. It was in a plactic can (no paper bottom) and had a different texture than my regular. This was before Cope came in different cut lengths and flavors, so it was kind of weird.

Today is day 58 of no cigarettes for me. I'd smoked for about 20 years off and on. The first two weeks were hell. The third was a little better and it was all down hill from there.

Keep it up. It just gets easier.

Gave up dipping after 30 years back in Feb. That was after I was notified that I had squamous carcinoma of the throat & tongue. 40 nukes & 8 poisons later ... yep I still crave. Just had neck surgery to remove scar tissue from neck the other week.
Life's lessons are hard. But ... you can prevail. I drink loads of fluids and have gone through un told packs of gum. Best thing I can do is stayed hydrated and the cravings aren't so bad.
Could be worse !!!

good luck man. i'm getting ready to start thinkin about quiting again. its been on and off for about 5 years. longest span was about 6 months off. i always come up with bs reason to pick it back up

All you guys that have quit congrats. For the guys getting ready to quit just remember you can do it. Stick it out and you will never look back. Never let anything or anybody have control over you!!!!!!
NOW GET IT DONE!!!!!GOOD LUCK

quit smoking 3 packs a day 10 years ago now...one very tuff accomplishment and i salute anyone who does it. my advice would be start a good habit or two to replace the bad one. if you hit a craving, work out, punch something(not someone) be agressive till yer wore out then sleep like a baby for awhile and do it alll over again. it is worth it. 10 years later and i can run 5k a couple times a week without suckin wind like i used to. good luck.

I quit September 15th, 2009 from smoking. I gained 20 lbs and am now in the process of working that off. I think the temporary trade off will be worth it in the long run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavScout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah, but you have the best strip clubs in the western world.

Funnily enough, before the cartels started getting realllly bad, I knew of guys that would go to Tijuana to get better prices on cigarettes.

Things get cheaper when you go south I guess. </div></div>

Strip clubs, YES!
grin.gif
Cav, I like your style.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cleaner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavScout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah, but you have the best strip clubs in the western world.

Things get cheaper when you go south I guess. </div></div>

Strip clubs, YES!
grin.gif
Cav, I like your style. </div></div>

+10 on the strip clubs. i spent 3 months in edmonton, alberta back in 03. i think i spent more on that job then i made. canadian strip clubs are like adult arcades. off the hook!!!

now back to quitin dippin!

I'm trying to quit for the 3rd time... Amazing what life stress' will do...

Stay strong maybe it'll help me quit again.

Not so bad until you go to hunting camp or go fishing with a pard and he pinches one....