• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

R 700 tac aac sd

ben8x

Private
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2014
WY
So, I have decided to get into precision shooting. I did some reading before I joined and more reading before making this post.
**R 700 TAC AAC SD**
1. I know the factory stock sucks. What can i resonably expect to get out of it IF I do my part properly?

2. There are tons of upgrate stocks/chassis on the market. What is the best for the money? I am not trying to break the bank. I have too many expensive hobbies already!

3. I am not new to shooting or hand loading. Hand loading is not possible now for me. I know that 168 gr is pretty much the standard. what are the benfits of 175 gr? maybe a slightly harder hit down range and less effect from cross winds?
I picked up Fed gold medal match 168, American eagle 168 OTM and lastly Nosler match grade custom 175 HPBT.
Going to try and see what will work best.

4. It has a monarch 3. 4-16x42 bdc recticle. Seems like this should be a decent quality scope.

5. Later this rifle will be set up as subsonic soon as that form 4 comes back and the Saker 762 gets out of ATF purgatory.
So now the question of subsonic ammo. i have seen
A) Right2bear 168 & 208 gr Hornady A-MAX
B) Atomic Ammo 175gr Sierra Match King
Does anyone have any experince with these and possibly others. Recomendations? Effective range? I am guessing 200 yrds. effective range. It may bang aka lighty thump steel at 300 but not sure how much energy it will be carrying at that distance.
thank you

In my experience with the R700 AAC-SDs, I have two of them, they shoot pretty well in the Hogue stocks. both of mine shot from 1/4 moa to 1 plus depending on ammo. both of mine shoot the American eagle 168 otm very well about .5 moa . they also shoot the M118LR very well . I ground out the front of the stock to make sure it was free floating and a trigger job . cant find any Fed gmm 175s so ? good luck

1. You should get MOA if you do your part.
2. Stocks are personal preference. McMillan and Manners are top quality fiberglass stocks but B&C and HS stocks will do the job as well. XLR, Rock Solid and AX chassis are all great stocks.
3. The 10 twist barrel on your rifle should handle the heavier bullets fine. I think the 168s are the standard for 308 as most factory barrels are 12 twist.
4. The Monarch should do just fine.
5. I do not have first hand experience with subsonic ammo as I'm in the same boat as you waiting on the ATF. I've been told the 208 works well but is on the border of sub and supersonic and the 220 round nose works great for subsonic.
I hope this helps. I have recently obtained the same rifle and am in the process of working it over.

Gound out the front of the stock? How? Using sand paper or? How far up the stock did you go and how much did you have to take off?
If i can pull this off there will be no need for a stock!
Good to know that it does well with the american eagle. It was the cheapest!
thanks!

Thank you for the info on the stocks. Yeah the 1:10 twist will work for the heavy rounds but not with a 1:12.
Good looking out on the 208gr vs the 220gr.

No, I have never tried it.
I hear it is really good. I also hear HSM is pretty good stuff as well.
I want to try some HSM & Black Hills just to see for myself.

My AAC-SD will print .5MOA groups with dialed in hand loads and a Kinetic Research Group X-Ray chassis. Loading my hand loads out (WAY out - 2.925" COAL) made a BIG difference in accuracy.

With 175FGMM, I was still seeing sub-MOA groups.

168s will go short bus around 800 yards, depending on local climate. 175s will stay stable and accurate at much further distances.

WoodenPlank, This is exactly some of the info I was looking for!
thank you

what I did was take a dremel with a sanding disk and sand out about 1/2 in from the front .then just kinda cleaned the sides back to the receiver , removing flash from them. just got some sierra 175smks so will load some this week to try, SSA 175 hpbt shot a group about 1/2 in wide and 2.5-3 in tall from both guns only had 1 box .