• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R25, pof, bro, dpms, s&w...?

Rynham9

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2012
Enid, OK
I have been trying to compare apples to apples and have been ending up with fruit salad. Would like to purchase a 308 and stay close to $2000. This will be a fun gun that will also serve as a hunting rifle. I have a 30-378 and 300 mag that I use for my long range when setting on a hill but will use the 308 for hogs, yotes and deer from a tree when I think I need more than a 223 or 243. Would like to keep it as light as possible without sacrifice. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Get a LMT MWS, used ones are 2250 - 2400.

I have been trying to compare apples to apples and have been ending up with fruit salad. Would like to purchase a 308 and stay close to $2000. This will be a fun gun that will also serve as a hunting rifle. I have a 30-378 and 300 mag that I use for my long range when setting on a hill but will use the 308 for hogs, yotes and deer from a tree when I think I need more than a 223 or 243. Would like to keep it as light as possible without sacrifice. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

if you want a good START, i'd say look at the smith M&P-10. it's nice and light, but the bbl isn't floated. also, the bbl has a pencil-type contour, so it's probably not going to shine at distances. they DO, however, have a 5r barrel.
with the leftover cash, i'd swap the flash hider for a comp (personal preference) and get a better trigger, then look into a new handguard. it sounds like something as simple as a DPMS tube would fill your needs, or if you want to get fancy, a Lancer Carbon Fiber one would be slick!
Timney trigger, new handguard, possibly a new comp, and you're into it for $1700?

that's my thoughts at least. remember what you paid.

Dpms oracle for 1000, free float the barrel for $200, Geissele for $280 and you are under $1500 and can upgrade the barrel later as you see fit.

You are really comparing apples to asparagus with some of the above options you are considering. I mean you've got piston vs. DI, smaller production vs. mass production rifles, a bunch of varying/conflicting features, etc.

DPMS SASS is still one of the best bangs for the buck in the large-frame AR world. Sub-MOA capable right out of the box with a competent shooter and good ammo, readily available for ~$1700 or so which gets you a capable rifle with many upgrades over your basic large-frame production rifles, including a quality JP single-stage adjustable trigger, Magpul PRS stock, quad-rail FF handguard, etc., etc.

I would look at the lite weight hunter 7.75 lbs carbon fiber tube and an adjustable buttstock. I went down the 308 road with a 20 inch rock river free float tube prs buttstock all the tactical cool stuff then after dragging it through the woods and up and down the hill everything come off and I put an a-1 buttstock on and a mag-pul moe handguard much easier to carry and didnt feel like you were packing blocks for a brick mason.

Thanks to all. Currently looking at new DPMS 3G1, used POF and S&W with a couple of extras out of the gate. All seem to be about the same money but keep gravitating back to POF.

Probably the wrong place to ask but does anyone know how the POF Muzzel Brake compares to my Seekins and Muscle Breaks?

New POF's available now at central Florida gun and tactical for $2195. Just a consideration.

Pictures when you get it. Great buy, love my POF

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

please let me know -

Let me know your choice - I am actually in the same boat at the moment as you are. I love the low price of the oracle, but it will need a lot of upgrades, I love the thought of having a piston ar, as well as all the upgrades with the ruger - but still a 16 inch barrel.. That moves me up to the sw mp10, and the dpms 3g1.. I'd really like to know what you end up choosing.. I am probably going to be buying shortly after Christmas and would love to hear your experience, especially with the 3g1 as there is little information on the .308..

Thanks. This info came in handy when purchasing the used one on here.

He bought the used POF from the For Sale section. Love my P308!

I know the OP made a choice but I recently picked up a S&W MP10 with Magpul furniture. I was pleased with it's relatively light weight. I've only got 20 rds through it so far but it seems promising. I bought more for hunting so was looking for something lighter.

29zabnn.jpg

Merry Christmas to me. Finally got it all put together. Went with the POF, WARNE RAMP, Zeiss Conquest (for now) and Mag Pul FlipUps. 40 rounds at range today with scope and flip ups. Good enough for steel plates at 15 - 300 and hopefully a deer in the morning. Very pleased thus far. She seems to like Black Hills Gold 168 with double taps at 100, 1 inch at 200 and moving plates at 300. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Let me know your choice - I am actually in the same boat at the moment as you are. I love the low price of the oracle, but it will need a lot of upgrades, I love the thought of having a piston ar, as well as all the upgrades with the ruger - but still a 16 inch barrel.. That moves me up to the sw mp10, and the dpms 3g1.. I'd really like to know what you end up choosing.. I am probably going to be buying shortly after Christmas and would love to hear your experience, especially with the 3g1 as there is little information on the .308..
POF is awesome. Very pleased thus far.

Thats awesome bro!

29zabnn.jpg

Merry Christmas to me. Finally got it all put together. Went with the POF, WARNE RAMP, Zeiss Conquest (for now) and Mag Pul FlipUps. 40 rounds at range today with scope and flip ups. Good enough for steel plates at 15 - 300 and hopefully a deer in the morning. Very pleased thus far. She seems to like Black Hills Gold 168 with double taps at 100, 1 inch at 200 and moving plates at 300. Thanks to everyone for the help.