• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

R700 chassis $500 max?

Jscb1b

Dumbass.
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2018
Arizona
The title said it all. I've checked out the magpul hunter. Is there good choices for under $500?

You can find nice chassis used within that price range. There are a few KRG Xrays floating around used for sub $400.

For $500 I would look at Greyboe with DBM ($400ish) or a KRG Bravo ($350). If you can pony up another couple hundred, a KRG Whiskey 3 fixed or MPA Comp would be the choices to beat imo.

Reactions: Muddybonz
I'd look at the KRG Bravo for $350... plan to try one out soon.
Another option is a Grayboe Ridgeback (has adj cheek riser) with bottom metal for $599, or the Grayboe Renegade (mentioned earlier, w/ no adj cheek) for $400 with bottom metal.

I got a used krg xray for 400 something and I love it. Area 419 makes an Arca lock rail that fits perfectly and it’s just a comfortable chassis for me. I’d see if you can fondle one somewhere and see what you think. I was dead set on a xlr element until I picked up a whiskey and xray.

I checked out the bravo. That looks promising. Thanks everyone.

I'll throw another vote in for the Oryx chassis ! $399 gets you a drop in, v-block bedded, AICS compatible chassis, buttstock and pistol grip. You have all the adjustment you'd need and only need to grab a magazine before you're ready to shoot :) Let me know if you have any questions :D

The Bravo is really hard to beat for the money. I have one on a 16” barreled 308. Really confortable stock with a lot of great features.

Attachments

• 966FE11F-26A9-4361-8519-373573D62BE7.jpeg
    966FE11F-26A9-4361-8519-373573D62BE7.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 113
Reactions: RFutch
Why? They.can be a good value. Strong and some have a good shape.
Sloping buttstock bottom is something missing in many chassis along with mechanized hardware personality. They are not for me.
Getting something you have tried and like is best. Easier said than done for many of us.

KRG Bravo w/a spigot, is just tough to beat in my opinion.. I got one on my trainer, and I’m gonna buy another one soon,for my match rifle, I love these things... I haven’t earned a Foundation yet?

Another idea, AB arms 700 SA chassis at Opticsplanet, with a 10% off code, puts it down to roughly $360 shipped. Got to supply your own rear stock and pistol grip.

MDT chassis are awesome also, you can also get around the same price if you shop around.

Lots of choices with chassis on the 700 action.

What is a spigot?

It's an additional attachment on the foreend (very far foreend) that allows a bipod to be attached further out forward (which helps mitigate any small movements as the shot breaks). A solid position also overcomes this, but many like to have the spigot as insurance when in a compromised position and shooting off a bipod.

https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/spigot/

I like my KRG Whiskey 3 but the Magpul magazine has one issue that was discussed on another thread. If there is any pressure exerted on the bottom of the magazine you cannot push the round in the chamber as the magazine is moved upward to prevent the bolt from moving forward.

Otherwise, they work really well.

The KRG magazines work really well except for one problem that was easily taken care of. The steel lips of the KRG magazine scratches the brass casing. So I used 200 grit sand paper and crocus cloth to smooth the inside edges of the lips. Problem solved.

KRG will take off $10 for each of their magazines if you purchase one of their stocks. The deal is good for five magazines.

Send them an e-mail and they will give you a coupon code for a discount if you are active duty military, veteran or LE.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVHick
The Bravo also has an integral barricade stop, so the pressure on the mag issue is moot.

The Bravo also has an integral barricade stop, so the pressure on the mag issue is moot.
That works unless you have to be low to the ground and the dirt or rocks underneath you happens to push up on the magazine.

If you are in a situation requiring an off-hand shot you cannot place your hand underneath the magazine to support the rifle. I realize that some shooters will not have a problem with this as they will place their support hand in front of the magazine.

However, there may be some High Power shooters, like me, that place their hand underneath the magazine to support the rifle.

I use the Magpul magazines with my KRG stocks. If my life depended on those magazines, that problem would have to be fixed.

I can only speak to the chassis I own/have owned: two MDTs (LSS-22, LSS-XL Gen-2), MPA BA Comp, and Tikka's chassis on T3X TAC A1. None of these fits the OP's $500 limit if buttstock cost is included but, given my experience with MDT, the Oryx would be top of my list if buying new.

The MPA stands out in that it feels "bigger" than the others, especially with its vertical grip (no, I haven't actually compared specs; that would be too sensible). I got it slightly used. The biggest attraction for me is the built-in ARCA rail, which allows me to slide a bipod or ARCA-clamp-equipped bag back&forth to best work with whatever prop I'm shooting from. I also have become a fan of vertical grips.

The MDT chassis are solid and functional and MDT provides top-rung support - the questions I've asked via email or their web-based contact form are answered within hours, with followup.

The Tikka chassis's big draw was (I just sold the it to fund another rifle) that it's a folder; otherwise, for me it was comparable to the MDT units. I don't understand why chassis vendors charge $150 or more for a folding option. It's handy for cleaning, but carrying the thing folded requires a case/bag deep enough to accommodate the "double thickness."

Last edited:
Reactions: MDT_Josh
In my opinion the KRG Bravo with MOE rail for my KAC bipod. is just though to beat

I have two KRG Bravos - one on a 700, one on a Tikka T3x. I can’t say enough good about them. But they do not seem to get along with the Magpul AICS mags. That’s simple - get metal mags from KRG and be done with it. Both of mine also have the spigot mount and the Harris bipod mount (makes it semi-permanent). I like the Harris bipeds for my uses, and this is as close to ideal as I’ve found.

If only the cheek piece adjustment wheel could be swapped for lefties that shoot right handed guns on the Bravo!

I have the bravo and it is amazingly modular for the price. I've put a spigot on it and I'm also looking to put an ARCA rail on the fore end. I got mine in FDE and I think it looks and functions insanely well. I like the feel of the Bravo as it is more like a Manners or HS Precision vs a traditional chassis.