• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700 SPS-T Range Report

DerMeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2011
Michigan
I got my R700 tactical .308 out today. First off, this is my first time shooting a rifle in a year and the not so great groups are my because of my poor performance.

001.jpg

R700 SPS Tactical .308
Harris BRM-S 6-9"
Seekings 20moa Base
Seekings 1" low rings
Leupold 3-9x40mm Rifleman

The smallest group was around 1.25" which for me isn't too bad. I know I was flinching a little and I need to get used to the rifle more. The 180gr shot a little bit lower than the 150gr obviously, and all of the 180gr was shot on with a hot barrel.

I need to get better glass on this, the leupold isn't very crisp unfortunatly and the reticule is a little thick IMO. I can't wait to get some different ammo and give it another go.

Thanks for looking

Re: R700 SPS-T Range Report

Flinching is bad, work on that, atleast you know you're doing it. My SPS doesn't like the Core lokts and usually shoots them 1.25-1.5, I'd guess you're probably not doing too bad really. Better ammo should do good things, the right handloads or 168 hornady match get me under .5@100. Enjoy.

Lol...I gotta say with that ammo 1 1/4" groups is good. With match ammo I might be upset but my 700P will shoot most match loads under and inch, and hovers around 3/4" when I do my part right, won't print those loads much under 2" and some groups are much larger than that. Get some decent rounds and see what it does.

Looks good! I'll second some match ammo or reloads though. Should tighten your groups right up.

Go buy a box of Federal 168 Gold Medal Match ammo and try them. I would bet you'll put 5 rounds in 3/4" or better at 100 yards. Those groups are right what I would expect with the ammo you shot. Good luck!

One more vote for match grade ammo. Some FGMM or Black Hills 168s and your groups may be well sub-MOA. If nothing else, it would be a confidence-builder. Good luck with it!

I had my new SPS T 308 out at the range today for break-in. I have a Bushnell 3200 Tactical 10x40 Mil/Mil on mine with a Harris bi-pod. This is a 10 shot group I shot with it today.

IMG_20111022_153412.jpg

Measures just of an inch with the 2 fliers at 100 yards. That was shot with Winchester brass, CCI LR primers, 44.0gr Varget and SMK 175s.

I got this rifle to give to my son when he completes Navy recruit training. I think the only thing I will change is the stock. Looking at a B&C Medalist.

The 308 tactical I have would not group better than 1" no matter what it was fed, from FGMM to hand loads. It is now a 260 Remington with a Krieger barrel. If you choose to reload for it I noticed that the firing pin hole is oversized and beveled which make the primers look like the are over pressured. I noticed this on very load I have done. From the low pressure to the highs.

43.5 grains of H4350 5 shot group
2011-08-12113309.jpg

2011-09-20170534.jpg

Try loosening up the rear Allen screw on the floor plate just a little. Next try 45.0 varget, 168 amax, Remington 9 1/2 primer , seated on the lands. It's a one holer on my spst

You might want to upgrade the stock also. Or bed it. The Houge overmold stock that came with mine. Flexed a lot when shooting of a bench or prone. I upgraded the stock and tighted up my groups. The 700 SPS Tatical likes the heavyer bullets. 168 gre or better. My best group is about 1/2 useing stock 168gr. Fed match. (Still a new rifle) I think with pricatice and a better stock and ammo. Your groups will inprove.

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Is there any ammo that anyone would recommend for around $20 or less a box? I can't justify spending $25+ on a box of ammo to put holes in paper right now. I see there is some Privi 168gr for $13 a box available floating around.

Also, I would like to get a better stock, but I expended a lot of money on this rifle as is and cannot go any further for a while. And I will try loosening up the rear action screw. I take all of the tools necessary for that to the range so I'll try that out next time.

What you really want to know is the torque values for the bottom metal. It makes a difference.

Less expensive ammo is not going to be as consistent as match ammo. I started hand loading to save some $$s. I figure it's costing me about $.50 a round to shoot at the moment. I was shooting 175 SMKs (Sierra MatchKings)today. I also did some load testing using Lapua brass starting at 41.0gr Varget to 45.0. Once I got to 43.5gr, the gun would not launch the bullet any faster. The 44.5 and 45.0 loads in the Lapua brass were compressed loads, but did not show signs of overpressure in this gun. (I'm guessing the bullet is out of the barrel before it can create enough pressure to cause problems. It seems 2480-2500fps is about all I am going to get out of that bullet with this barrel. Next load test will be 43.5-44.5 in .1 increments.

At this point I have not done an OAL measurement. The chamber in my other 308 with the 24" sporter barrel is stupid long, 2.940" to touch the lands. If the OAL is like 2.820 - 2.840, I will try it. If that is the case I will go through the load development cycle again. I ordered a B&C stock that should be here this week. Will take it out next weekend weather permitting.

go on cheaper than dirt and they have FGMM for 19.96. it will inittially come up and 20. something but when u clock on it it will give u another option from one of there other wearhouses for cheaper. i just picked up 200 rounds for a good price. also southwest ammo isnt to bad i believe only 21.00 a box.

I just changed the stock over to a B&C Medalist, it was a drop in fit. I also added a Weaver 20 MOA rail. About the only other thing I may add is a Bolt Lift. I'm planning to take it to the range this weekend. I'll see how it works out. Hopefully I have the eye relief setup to where I can shoot it prone.

Think hard about reloading. Between rolling my own and the B&C stock I'm getting one hole groups. I had planed on trueing my action, but why fix something that is not broken?
I will be on to a 6.5CM soon as my new project.

Those are reloads, Winchester brass, CCI primers, 44.0 gr Varget, 175 SMKs seated at 2.800, 2490 fps, SD 12.25.

Haven't tried seating on the lands and I haven't checked the chamber with an OAL gauge yet. As a reference, my other 308 with a Remington action and barrel needs an OAL of 2.910 for the bullet to touch the lands. That last group would have been sub .5 MOA if I hadn't had the flier.

I added a Weaver 20 MOA rail to get more adjustment out of the scope; however all that did was put the scope in the middle of the adjustment at 100 yards. I also added a Bolt Lift for a tactical bolt handle and a Harris swivel bipod. I only have 12.7 Mils of adjustment and Shooter is estimating 12.8 - 13.2 Mils at 1000 yards. I'm thinking I need a 40 MOA base to get the most out of this scope.

I'm pretty happy with it so far. I'm sure my kid will like it when he earns it.

try 44.8 varget, 168 amax's, seated at 2.960" oal. yes i know it is ridiculous. but it works. P.s. lapua brass, rem. 9 1/2 lr primers.