• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

R700xcr to 6cm, Dumb idea?

oldrifleman

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 4, 2012
    Seattle
    So I have the R700xcr LR 308 that never shot worth anything and a Manners T4A that is not cut for a clone action. I have been trying to figure out what to do with this thing and for some reason thought hey I could turn this into a 6cm for my daughter ( well maybe me but good excuse). Thinking of just packing it up and sending it down to Bugholes for and action cleanup and a new Bartlein (7.5 twist)? Thinking maybe Berger 105 HT. Got an extra scope, trigger and a steel piccatiny rail.
    It’s either do this or sell it. What thinks the tribe?

Actually, I think it is a great idea. Nice setup ( and you have most of the parts ). Should turn out nicely. (y)

Nah, hate the nuts, think they are ugly. And it’s not that much to true the action.

To get accurate 700 rifles I alway true up the action, and chamber and thread the barrel for the standard solid torque the barrel to the action, no barrel nut...although rifles with the barrel nut can be accurate, I don't feel it to be the best or as solid as directly tightened to the reciever.
    Do it your way.
    Bugholes has many quality barrels in stock.

Reactions: oldrifleman
    I run 7.5 twist in my 6 Dasher, 58 gr VMax 4100 fps to 115 DTAC at 3020 fps, for accuracy across the whole weight range of 6mm bullets, high velocity or super accuracy, with the match bullets in the 2950 to 3020 fps range, with a variety of upper weight Berger bullets.
    Mine is a 28" Bartlein 5 R SS cut rifled 7.5 twist 6mm blank, ordered from Southern Precision Rifles ...Bugholes

Sure, sending it to Bugholes for action truing and setting it up for a prefit, shouldered or nut style can be done and their work is amazing. Accuracy potential is roughly the same, the only advantage to the nut is the ability to fine tune the headspace. Getting a shouldered prefit barrel from a top tier manufacturer like Bugholes will likely not have a headspace problem, but random issues can pop up although unlikely. Note, you can't do a shouldered prefit for a Rem 700 without the gunsmith having it in hand. I'd consider if going the action truing/prefit route is the most cost effective for your end goals or not. You can go off the deep end pretty quickly with a Rem 700 by adding these operations: side bolt release, primary extraction/bolt timing, M16 extractor upgrade, scope base holes upgraded to 8-40, bolt fluting, large bolt knob, pinned recoil lug etc.

I've went down that road with two 700 actions (sent to Bugholes, LRI, SAC) and ended up spending tons more money to get them to the level of quality/features that a standard Zermatt Origin has out of the box for less money. I won't make that mistake again. I would sell the 700 and use those funds to buy an Origin and then buy the prefit barrel from bugholes.

Understand all of that, this is just an action that is sitting around. Got all the other parts so figured why not spend the $500 to get the action trued and end up with a new toy. If I sell it I won’t buy a custom, I will just play with the two customs I already have, as well all the others.