• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rainier Ultra Match .308 Barrel Report

BELLYCRAWL

Avid Reader
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2009
Florida Panhandle
I had a chance to shoot my recent LR-308 build where I used a Rainier Ultra Match, .308, 18" with mid-gas. I utilized a Geissele SSA-E, PRS stock, and IOR 3-18 optic. As the rifle sits without loaded ammo it is 13.5 pounds. I was concerned about the barrel's performance due to a recent thread, but I believe it did well. After searching info on the .308 ultra match, I found many people who communicate, "their good", "they shoot sub-moa", "they shoot moa", but I thought I would post an image. Only had limited time, so I sighted the rifle/adjusted the gas block, and shot one group.

This rifle was shot by me from a bench at 100 yards, no wind, 85 degrees in the morning. I initially adjusted the Seekins gas block, and cycled FGMM 168 grain, Hornaday Super Performance 150 grain SST, and some 147 ball. With a few adjustments, all now cycle flawlessly. Disclaimer: I showed up at the range without my rear shooting bag so I fisted-up to support the PRS stock. I was not rock solid and had just a little bit of movement using my fist. I used a Harris 6-9 bipod and 18x on the IOR. I shot a 7 shot group waiting around 10 seconds between shots. (when you have a 20 round mag, 3 shot and 5 shot groups are not enough for me) The flyer was called on shot three. I did not put a ruler on it but it; but without the flyer, the Rainier Ultra Match shot around .75 moa. I truly believe with a rear bag this barrel will be closer to a .5 - .75 moa rifle with FGMM 168 grain. Further testing to come.

Blessings, BC

BELLYCRAWL-

Looks like its doing pretty well! I have a similar setup to your rifle. What ammo did you shoot the above group with? Im assuming the 168gr GMM? I didnt get much performance from the 147gr surplus stuff, but didnt expect much from it either.
FWIW, I've had good results with 175gr SMK's with about 43.5gr of 8208 or Varget through my 18" RAUM barrel. Not sure if you're a reloader...

Im also from SW-MO and that target looks familiar...Andy Dalton? Busiek?

Last edited:
I just purchased a 16" Rainier Arms Ultra Match and will be testing hopefully by this weekend.
I just finished a build yesterday with a 16" UM also.
I have a 18" UM and a 20" UM that also shoot just fine too.
Not sure why all the doubt, they are good barrels.

MWM-5150

That group was with 168 FGMM, and it was at Buisek. I did not have time to try anything else. I'm just getting into reloading still saving up for a scale.

Blessings,

BC

I am very impressed with this barrel. I get about .75 MOA with mine, that is only because I am using a 3.5x ACOG with Triangle. I can't get a good POA with the ACOG.

Just received my Ultra match 16" yesterday, going to be a short while till complete. Just have to wait and see

This is from a Ranier Arm's 16" Ultra Match barrel. This was the first outing for this barrel without much load development. The first picture is at 100 yards, the second is at 500 yards. I'm happy so far.

2013-07-21 08.04.59.jpg2013-07-21 13.31.31.jpg

I just finished OCW Testing on my 20" Ultramatch and I'm getting a 5-shot group of .720" at 100yds with hand loads shot from a bipod/monopod.

• 168gr Hornady A-Max
  • LC LR Brass trimmed to 2.005"
  • 41.2grs AR-Comp
  • CCI LR Primers
  • 2590fps Average
  • 2.780" COAL
  • 60F Weather with no wind

I have very little to update as I've only taken it out two other times and put around 30 rounds through it. I am still very impressed for a LR-308 barrel. I shot it against a buddy's FNAR and a DPMS 24" fluted bull. I don't have targets proof, but I shot five and seven shot .5" groups at 100 yards all with FGMM 168 grain with little effort with the Rainier UM. Once a had a bag or rear rest, the groups tightened-up. I have to admit I was a little jealous of my buddy's DPMS as he shot .75" groups at 100 yards for a LOT less money. Both my gun and my buddy's FNAR are about twice the cost of his DPMS. All three were sub-moa, but the Rainier shot the best!

FYI, I run a Black Rain Ordnance upper and lower, CMMG parts kit, SSA-E, PRS stock, Seekins adj gas block, 7.62 Industries NB BCG, JP 15.5" handguard, and A2 flashider with the UM barrel. Optics are IOR 3-18 x42 in TPS rings on a Badger 22 moa riser. All bought used but BNIB.

Blessings,

BC

Last edited: