• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rainier Ultra Match vs CLE Douglas vs JP 6.5 Grendel Barrel?

YotaEer

Montani Semper Liberi
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2019
Pittsburgh
Looking at either an 18” rainier ultra match fluted or CLE Douglas tactical barrel to replace my current 16” Wilson combat barrel. 6.5 Grendel.

The WC barrel shoots pretty good. .6-.7” average with 123 ELD hand loads but looking for more. It’s also only 16” as I am suppressed 100% of the time. Looking at 18” with this new barrel.

Any opinions on either? Other comparable options in the $400-500 range?

Seems like padom had luck with the rainier ultra Match in multiple calibers. CLE has a great rep of course but not much on Douglas around here.

I’ve also thought about going for a krieger or Bart but this isn’t my main target or hunting gun. Also not looking for a 4-6 month wait. Longest shot with it is about 650 yards. Just looking for consistent half moa accuracy.

Just looking for clarification. Are we talking about 3, 5 or 10 shot groups?
This is not a jab, I just like to know.
I see a lot of claims of sub 0.5 MOA ARs and always wonder. Rarely anyone ever posts up repeatable photo evidence so it makes me wonder. More rare are photos at 300-500 yards. Wish we had more of that around here. I appreciate Reubinski’s recent experiences. 🍻

Reactions: reubenski
Just looking for clarification. Are we talking about 3, 5 or 10 shot groups?
This is not a jab, I just like to know.
I see a lot of claims of sub 0.5 MOA ARs and always wonder. Rarely anyone ever posts up repeatable photo evidence so it makes me wonder. More rare are photos at 300-500 yards. Wish we had more of that around here. I appreciate Reubinski’s recent experiences. 🍻

No offense taken lol. I’m looking at 3-5 shot groups. I’m not an avid AR shooter but getting back into it now that I’ve picked up another setup for purely night hunting.

Took my Wilson combat barreled upper out yesterday and really tried to get the best group possible with my hand loads. Got 3 and 5 shot average groups of .57. 10 shot was around .85.

If I could get a 3 and 5 shot group under .5 then I’d be happy.

I have my tikka to shoot in the .3’s consistently and I shoot that much more often.

Reactions: db2000
I've had good luck with Krieger Barrels and Proof Carbon barrels, they shoot lights out as long as the rest of the rifle is built right and you do your part with good training and not shooting poopoo ammo.

Reactions: YotaEer
Obviously longer than what you're looking for but I have a criterion 22" hbar, and it's sub-moa everytime I do my part with handloads. Shot several .5 and under groups. is it repeatable? Maybe...if a better shooter was behind the gun. Criterion also makes a stainless 18" hybrid contour as well. They are around 300 I believe. Never ordered a barrel from CLE but I will be soon. On the website it says Douglas is 12-14 week lead and Krieger and Bart's are 18-20 week lead, which went up since last time I went on Thier website.

Reactions: YotaEer
Obviously longer than what you're looking for but I have a criterion 22" hbar, and it's sub-moa everytime I do my part with handloads. Shot several .5 and under groups. is it repeatable? Maybe...if a better shooter was behind the gun. Criterion also makes a stainless 18" hybrid contour as well. They are around 300 I believe. Never ordered a barrel from CLE but I will be soon. On the website it says Douglas is 12-14 week lead and Krieger and Bart's are 18-20 week lead, which went up since last time I went on Thier website.
I ordered a Bart .224V from CLE 7/30/22. Came in the mail today. 13 weeks was my real world wait, they quoted 12 weeks when I bought it. Well worth the wait to me.

CLE is charging an extra $120 on some barrels. Mine had a $120 tack on when done. It’s probably due to shipping costs and everything else inflation driven. I got a matching bolt head also.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
I ordered a Bart .224V from CLE 7/30/22. Came in the mail today. 13 weeks was my real world wait, they quoted 12 weeks when I bought it. Well worth the wait to me.

CLE is charging an extra $120 on some barrels. Mine had a $120 tack on when done. It’s probably due to shipping costs and everything else inflation driven. I got a matching bolt head also.
Wow that sucks about the price being upped. At least you have a great barrel from a great company.

Wow that sucks about the price being upped. At least you have a great barrel from a great company.
I am not disappointed. You pay for quality. Times are tough. Good employees are hard to find, supply chain issues, and increased supply chain prices. I will gladly pay for quality.

To clarify You were charged an extra 120$ you weren’t quoted or told about until it was done?

I am not disappointed. You pay for quality. Times are tough. Good employees are hard to find, supply chain issues, and increased supply chain prices. I will gladly pay for quality.
Yeah no offense, but I won't "gladly pay." Times are tough for pretty much everyone. That company has been around for awhile and is successful. If I was told a price, and then at the end was charged another $120. I'd tell them to shove it. I have WOA barrels that are hammers that I paid under $300 for. Quality is subjective. Also, this is retail. Thier are mark ups. WOA is selling a bart service rifle barrel for $475, and CLE is selling a bart service rifle barrel for $600. Both are quality...one just charges more because they think they can.

Reactions: Devildog6.5G
Fwiw CLE hasn’t been charging that much for their barts until recently I think. Bart has increased prices as well, I’m honestly surprised WOA still charges 475, Bart is at like 4 or more for a commercial blank now.

I’ve been very happy with both my CLE and woa barrels but if I got a charge like that we had not discussed I would not be happy

To clarify You were charged an extra 120$ you weren’t quoted or told about until it was done?
No. It was an add on after building the barrel. It wasn’t on the build a barrel choice until you went to check out. To be clear. Again. I didn’t have a problem paying it. Brought it up to let folks know the prices on web site were actually higher.

I see, before you agreed to a service. Cool

I don’t think anyones clarity problem was if you cared about paying it.

I’ve had a kreiger on order in 6.5 Grendel from CLE since March. Crystal called last week to button up some details and the price went up about $200 from what I was quoted. Still havent gotten the call that it’s done.

• Wow
Reactions: TheOE800

How long CLE are taking for a complete Bartlein/Kriegger Upper these days?