• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ranchers Pride - Security Alert

orkan

Primal Rights, Inc.
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Oct 27, 2008
    South Dakota, USA
    www.primalrights.com
    We've been getting frequent visits from a door-to-door meat sales outfit called Ranchers Pride. They have been out here about a dozen times in the last several years. We have tolerated it, but the last several times they were told to NEVER return. In the past 1.5-2 months, they have been here 3 times. Every time, the sales person is extremely pushy. The 2nd time the sales person tried to physically push their way into the house past my wife. We have young kids, and take their safety VERY seriously. So, we have a security system, video surveillance system, and motion alarms on our property. So as soon as someone breeches the perimeter, we get an alarm and look to see who it is. The usual fedex, ups, and such we are on a first name basis with. Strangers are greeted with the door cracked and a firearm in hand hidden behind the door. I've trained with the wife extensively, and we don't intend on becoming a statistic. Someone trying to push their way in doesn't know how close to dying they actually came to leaving in a box. That sales person was told to inform their company that they are not welcome, and to not come back. They are trespassing, and we would prosecute next time.

Tonight, at 2110hrs, ANOTHER sales person from Ranchers Pride shows up. Equally pushy, an equally belligerent when they were told to get off the property or we would prosecute. He finally left. I decided to call the company and deal with this at a higher level. I got a hold of their "regional manager" and asked him to not have any more sales people come by the house. He proceeded to tell me that it was their "right in America" to solicit, and "maybe we should put signs up." We do have signs up. I told him that the next sales person that shows up, we will prosecute. I then hung up as he was continuing to escalate. I'm plenty pissed at this point.

This guy has the nerve to call me back, and start threatening me. He said "I have all kinds of money to use to make you uncomfortable," and so on. I told him "do it... go ahead and do it." I told him he made a big mistake, calling me back and pressing this as he did. He said, "I don't make big mistakes." I hung up on him again.

My next call was to the Sheriff's office. Got a complaint filed, and they've been warned. Next time they show, they are being detained and prosecuted. I'm truly concerned for the safety of my family, and frankly, the safety of the salesperson. If they show up again, and approach my wife or I with the same threatening demeanor, it is likely the consequences will be dire. It is very irrational and dangerous to behave as these people are behaving.

I did a quick google search on Ranchers Pride, and saw hundreds of horror stories. https://www.google.com/search?q=ran...la:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

They have an "F" rating on the BBB site: Ranchers Pride, LLC Business Review in Sioux Falls, SD - Nebraska, South Dakota, The Kansas Plains and Southwest Iowa BBB

There you can read stories ranging from pushy salesmen, to intimidation tactics, to outright scams as people report they sell meat yet deliver a rotten product.

1) No salesman should be making unsolicited house calls at 2100hrs.
    2) No salesman should be threatening in their mannerisms, ever.
    3) No company should allow such behavior from their salesmen.
    4) No company should have their salesmen stopping at locations where they have explicitly been told they are unwelcome, and never to return.
    5) A company that not only allows it, but tries to defend their tactics when a direct call is made to stop further solicitation, demonstrates a willful disregard for people's safety. This is a dangerous situation they are creating.

If you are visited by this company, you should be on your toes. If you do not want them on your property, make it VERY clear that their presence is unwanted. Make sure you have the ability to defend your life if necessary, and have your phone handy when you confront them. If they resist and are belligerent, call law enforcement immediately. If they continue approaching after being told to leave, you will have to make your own judgement on whether you feel your life is threatened.

This company and their tactics must be stopped before it results in a more dangerous situation than has already been presented.

Last edited:
    That's some blatant chit right there. Glad your wife and family are prepared.
    Hope it doesn't escalate any more than it already has.
    Thanks for sharing.

The sheriff has been notified, they have been warned to never return.

If they return, it will be CLEAR that it is with hostile intent, and that threat will be treated as such.

I believe you should consult an attorney. The attorney should send them a letter, and advise you on what to do if they return.

I don't think someone trespassing on my property and trying to enter our house in a threatening or intimidating manner is a matter for an attorney. It's a matter for law enforcement and potentially some other local public services. It isn't like we live in town, where they are on a public sidewalk or something. Our closest neighbor is a mile away, and it is impossible to "accidentally" find yourself on our property. I have since talked with a former sheriff's deputy, and he has had a great deal of dealings with this company and their threatening salesmen.

In South Dakota, trespass is defined as knowingly entering onto private property without the authority to do so. Clearly they do not have the authority, and it has been made very clear they are unwelcome. Trespass by itself is a class 2 misdemeanor, but if they are given an order to leave by the land owner or agent of, and refuse, then they are guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor. They are the ones that will need an attorney, not us. This company and its agents will stay away from my property and family or they will be arrested, at the very least.

South Dakota Law:
    22-35-6. Entering or refusing to leave property after notice--Misdemeanor. Any person who, knowing that he or she is not privileged to do so, enters or remains in any place where notice against trespass is given by:
    (1) Actual communication to the person who subsequently commits the trespass;

(2) Posting in a manner reasonably likely to come to the attention of trespassers; or

(3) Fencing or other enclosure which a reasonable person would recognize as being designed to exclude trespassers;
    is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. However, if such trespasser defies an order to leave, personally communicated to him or her by the owner of the premises or by any other authorized person, the trespasser is guilty of criminal trespass, which is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

Last edited:
    Ranchers Pride - Security Alert

Not advice, but I am assuming that it never occurred to you to first let him in, then later withdraw your consent for him to be there.

We have had a problem and our neighbors have with them. They pulled the same shit on my wife in the middle of the day, I think she would have shot him if my blue heeler wasn't buried into the guys thigh. The sheriff arrested him for trespassing as he went over the fence right by the no trespassing sign. We have had a similar problem with insurance salesmen also. I figured the insurance salesmen was like pizzamanny said a recon trip.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

They had a "salesmen" group not far from here. Its been many years since I heard the story (I wasn't directly involved but a close friend of mine was robbed). To keep it short, they were going door to door selling cleaning services, they had a truck that was wrapped and looked legit. Come to find out the truck was empty on the inside, and they were backing in to drive ways, breaking in, and loading the truck up with stolen goods. Basically it looked like they were cleaning carpets (had a hose hooked up to nothing run in to the house, and they were "moving furniture out of the way". So always keep your eyes open.

Not advice, but I am assuming that it never occurred to you to first let him in, then later withdraw your consent for him to be there.

Why would you allow a pushy stranger into your home? Seems like a tragedy waiting to happen.

No, that never occurred to me. They were unwelcome, and making my wife feel threatened. No way would I suggest she let them in. Our kids are our primary concern, and a threatening stranger isn't welcome on the property, much less in the house.

Can I assume by your post that there is a reason this should be done? If you care to share more detail, I'd appreciate it.

I believe you should consult an attorney. The attorney should send them a letter, and advise you on what to do if they return.

I agree with DDon. Have an attorney notify them by registered mail that they are unwelcome on your property and if they come again you will feel threatened for your family and react in an appropriate manner. Have him send a copy to the sheriff as well. Then you are documented.

This type of approach is an ideal way to recon a property for future burglary.
    You are quite right. In Fact, in Memphis TN (as I'm sure in other locations) the police have caught scum with small note books. Small groups go door to door, with some B.S., but what they are collecting is info on what cars were there, was there anyone home at x hour, if so how old (for example one old woman on walker, one buick in drive, 2:00pm) then they sell or trade this info to another group of low life trash, for burglary and theft etc. BTW, they also note alarm signs etc. One can never be too careful. Find out where the son of a bitch lives, and have some flowers delivered with a note, he now knows you know......enough said.