• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors random questions for PA residents with suppressors?

mlh29

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Lafargeville, NY 13656
I am AD mil, been out of PA for a few years. I am a legal resident with a permanent address in PA. I would like to get a suppressor for ? Most likely either a 223 or 308 ltr, or one of my 308 5r rifles. May even buy a new 700 aac sd with aac brake if I can find one. I am curious as to the process, time line, cash output etc for someone that has actually done it. If it helps I will be an hr north from the Northern Pittsburgh area. Looking for a dealer etc.
In addition I know it has probably been discussed over and over at length but I would like some advice on a purchase of a first suppressor , most likely for a 308 , any models to steer clear of? Best bang for the buck etc. Thanks in advance MLH29

Talk to Tom Sarver over at Thunder Valley Precision in Ohio. He can set you right up and answer ALL your questions. I am in Saxonburg and we get to shooting a bit of LR out here....Good Luck

I have 2 cans: YHM Phantom 5.56 direct thread and an ETS Templar (company belly up but great product with Ti tube and SS monobaffle that comes apart). The only regret I have is the YHM being 5.56 instead of .308. I like backwards compatibility and now that I have 30 cal rifles, I can't use my cf can on them. I'm not in a financial position to get another can either. YHM makes a good product, but if you can afford something with more durable material go for it right out the door. For me, cost was most important with performance being second. Durability and weight were last on my list of considerations as I do not shoot high volume or rapid fire. I use them for hunting which is legal for all game here in PA. $200 tax stamp, typically a $50-$100 transfer if you do not buy from the local C3 dealer, and the cost of the can $450-$1200+ depending on what you decide on. Many find out that direct thread cans work better for precision work, but not always.

Based on the recommendations from this forum, I went with a Thunder Beast 30BA for my first can. It works well on my .308, .243, and .223s. It is rated up to .300WM, but it is not rated for rapid fire / full auto. I bought mine through a group buy here. In retrospect, I wish I found one in stock in PA, as my wait was extended another 4 months (10 months total) due to the form 3 wait and other SNAFUs. It looks like the closest TBAC dealer to you is: Keystone Armaments [188--190 Brighton Ave, Rochester, PA, 15074. 724-728-4444]. I haven't done business with them, so I have no idea how helpful they may or may not be.

As far as the process for buying an NFA item, your dealer will walk you through it. I doubt you will have trouble getting a CLEO signature in western PA, so you will probably want to register it to yourself as opposed to a trust or corp.