• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range bag recommendations?

isaactc

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2010
Traverse City, Mi
I am looking for a range bag. Sometimmes I carry a couple of pistols/revolvers, or I'll carry my rifle setup. Always carry a couple hundred rounds of handloads, data book, earmuffs, spotting scope, targets. etc.I am looking at the Midway and the Eagle bags, but haven't seen them in person. I am tired of carrying a gym bag. Any suggestions?

Re: Range bag recommendations?

I know it's made in China, but I have to say the Midway bags are very nice for the money. Get a large one for the muffs, spotter, targets and then a small one for the ammo and other misc stuff.

Green Mountain range bags are great. Not sure if i can post a link here, but if you Google Green Mountain Range bag you will find their page.

Midway USA baby, got mine for $30.00 and it's huge. Looks great in OD, built well.

I tried a lot of different so-called "range bags", that were specifically designed and sold as range bags. Most were only marginally above useless.

I now use a CLC #535 18" Tote bag (ie. tool bag), which was the largest I could find at Ace Hardware, cost was ~$56.00 (pic below). This thing is absolutely <span style="text-decoration: underline">indestructable</span>. Moreover, I have yet to run out of room for everything I want including ear/eye protection, ammo, LFR, tools, cleaning patches, slings, mags, binos, note pad, markers... you get the idea. It's even long enough to carry a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 in a LaRue DilloArmor bag. Best range bag I've found by a huge margin.

1535.jpg

The lesson I've learned about this is:

Touch and feel it before you buy.

Too many pockets and I forget which pocket I put something in.

The top zipper needs to be one-way, not the u-turn design.

The handles need to be attached sturdily, and can be done so by a seamstress, and can be seat belt material.

A Gucci bag is sexy but expensive.

Buying a range bag at a gun store is like buying a pull-over shirt at a golf Pro Shop; the price will be costly. Buy the bag elsewhere.

Here is what I have been carrying for about 15 years. Bagmaster Medium Shooter's Bag. American made and guaranteed for life. Holds two pistols in their own padded sleeves. Spotting scope, ear muffs, eye protection, several hundred rounds of ammo, a staple gun and a few tools and a couple Uplula loaders. I also fold up several targets and slide them in the side pockets.

I've used TAC FORCE range bags (http://tac-force.com/largerangebag.aspx) for the past 5 years (OD Green). I really like this one, extremely rugged, zippers are strong and reliable. I've towed almost 1,500 223 rounds for prairie dog hunting, and it's tough as a mule. For my money this gets my vote.

Look into I-Shot bags. I've used mine for about 6 years so far and it has yet to have a loose stitching. Very popular amongst the IPSC/USPSA crowd.

I had a Tac Force and liked it. I picked it up one day heavily loaded and when I dropped it on the shoulder strap on my shoulder one of the D rings pulled out. It was starting to wear out a bit anyway, so I replaced it with an Eagle Deluxe Pro Shooter bag and that is a kick-ass bag. It is expensive, but I like the organization better and I have no doubts it will last forever.

I'm very happy with my Midway bag.

I have and use an old school Eagle range bag and like it alot. I got rid of my i-Shot in favor of the Eagle. I can't vouch for the current Eagle products as a number of them seem to be sewn in Central America and their current OD is very bright and green.

Pat

I would go with the Midway large bag for best value. Just look at the number of positive reviews it has!!!
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=939259680

My only complaint is that the top dual zipper flap is not the easiest to close. it take me two hands to get it closed. takes two or three pulls. if i could easily close the top zipper with one hand on one pull it would be a perfect bag. I do have some very expensive bags from Allen that have the oversized zippers that are worse to me, so maybe i expect too much from zippers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it's made in China, but I have to say the Midway bags are very nice for the money. Get a large one for the muffs, spotter, targets and then a small one for the ammo and other misc stuff. </div></div>

For those that live near an Academy store, they sell the same bag. I've got one, been pretty satisfied with it.

It has essentials that I always take to the range: chrono (I don't always use it but find the one day that I want to is the one day I leave it at home, so now it always comes with me), magazines, tools, stapler, clothespins, targets, ear plugs, rear sandbag (sometimes it carries 2 different Protektors depending on the guns I'm shooting that day), etc. I carry my ammo in those green MTM boxes separately.

Let's see yours loaded up for a shooting session.

I haven't had ANY problems with a well thought out purpose made range bag. Just shop smart. Never had one that was marginally above useless. Can you describe what you though was wrong with them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried a lot of different so-called "range bags", that were specifically designed and sold as range bags. Most were only marginally above useless.

I now use a CLC #535 18" Tote bag (ie. tool bag), which was the largest I could find at Ace Hardware, cost was ~$56.00 (pic below). This thing is absolutely <span style="text-decoration: underline">indestructable</span>. Moreover, I have yet to run out of room for everything I want including ear/eye protection, ammo, LFR, tools, cleaning patches, slings, mags, binos, note pad, markers... you get the idea. It's even long enough to carry a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 in a LaRue DilloArmor bag. Best range bag I've found by a huge margin.

1535.jpg

</div></div>

Another recommendation for the Midway bag. I have been using mine for quite some time and the worst that has happened is a zipper pull came off. Easy fix.

I've tried range bags from Sig, Tac-Ops, Midway, and a couple others that aren't coming to me right at the moment. At this point I should probably clarify what I'm refering to as a "range bag". I'm not talking about a gun case that may also hold a few small items such as mags, hearing protection, etc. I have several of those for my different weapons and they are fine for that purpose. I happened to bring my Tac-Ops bag with me that has my 9mm pistol, mags, hearing/eye protection, and ammo, for a range session later today.

I'm refering to a bag that can hold the peripherals that I like to have at hand when I shoot rifle at my outdoor 600 yd range. Specifically, things such as weapon-specific tools (for DTA Covert), gun lube/cleaning supplies (although I try not to do much of that at the range), hearing/eye protection, cased scopes (most of mine are mounted on LaRue CD mounts), rear bag, mags, ammo, LRF, sling(s), Kestrel, data books, minimal set of tools including pliers, allen wrentches, screwdrivers, pens/markers and stapler/staples for targets, and probably a few other odds and ends.

I'm sure some will think why do you need all that crap? The answer is I usually don't. It always seems to be that I need it only when I don't have it. Because at my range I can back my truck right up to the firing line, it is convenient to have a bag that can hold all of this stuff.

My dissatisfaction over range bags I've tried that were specifically designed for that purpose stems from many factors, not all of which are specific to every bag. Space is often a factor. I find many of the bags to be poorly thought out with regard to interior arrangement and optimal utilization of space, so that even though the bag seems large enough from the outside, you can't fit nearly as much into it as it would seem. Another issue is that many seem to be extremely flimsy with regard to the construction/materials of the shell. I like a bag that will stand on its own, stay open, and not fall over as soon as i take something out. Finally, I've not seen any range specific bags that had straps/fasteners/hardware that were worth a damn; usually very cheap.

So after trying many different version of range bags, I decided that a good tool bag was more in line with what I was looking for. A good qualtiy tool bag is typically extremely sturdy and well thought with regard to its interior arrangement. Further, there is a huge selection to choose from in terms of size and arrangement of internal/external compartments. I'll be the first to acknowledge that not everyone wants to carry nearly as much crap to the range as I do. IMO, tool bags seem to have been selected for what works over a period of many, many years, whereas the range bags I've used seemed to be designed by someone that had never actually used one.

In summary, to each their own. I'm not trying to disrespect anyone else's choice of range bags, but rather to offer the OP a slightly different take on something that might suffice for their needs, that are reasonably priced and usually available in many different flavors. I certainly have not tried every manufacturer of range bag out there and I'm sure there are some I would be completely satisfied with. But after going with the tool bag pictured above, I've simply not found the need to look any further. Like all else, YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">every once in a while CheaperThanDirt puts this bag up for $20. I have 4 of them and I have zero complaints... They are 17x13x8 and it's amazing how much you can get into the bag.

BAG-157.jpg

they even have a stupid video to show how much it can hold...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxSRcTJJQA4 </div></div>

thats a pretty nice bag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strip Poker 388</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">every once in a while CheaperThanDirt puts this bag up for $20. I have 4 of them and I have zero complaints... They are 17x13x8 and it's amazing how much you can get into the bag.

thats a pretty nice bag </div></div>

for $20 you can't beat it. About every other month you will see them come up for $20 via their eMail flyers.

I got a Midway range bag, for the money especially when there on sale there hard to beat, but most of my zipper pull tabs have failed, I'm not expecting it to last if I were to fly with it, but from the car to range and back it's GTG.

i think the voodoo tactical range bag is pretty amazing. i just bought this a couple of weeks ago and i have no complaints. I'll take a picture when i get home and post it, but you can just go on their website and check it out.

I will try out the Midway bag and if it doesn't work out, I will go to the Brownells. At least I will look good.

I've used a couple of different range bags. My issue is that I always found myself making several trips from the car to the actual shooting position. I am carrying back and forth the bag + rifle on one trip, then the targets, my shooting mat, and sometimes ammo on a second trip.

I got the Tac Ops drag bag and now I have the rifle plus all my gear in a backpack and then I have my hands free to carry my targets and a shooting mat, show my card at the range, and unload when I get to the shooting position. It shaves 30 minutes off of my range trip easily. My goal is to get a range trip done as quickly as possible. I am like that with my workouts, too. Some guys love to hang around the gym for hours just sitting at different stations and chatting. And some guys love to sit at the range for hours, chatting, waiting for their barrel to cool, smoking, checking out other people's gear. I strive to be there, and get all of my shooting in within two cease fires. If I miss a cease fire, I am stuck there for another 15 - 20 minutes.

For me, the Tac Ops bag has been a godsend. Others might not have my objectives.

The funny thing is, I got the range bag as part of the negotiation for my rifle from Tac Ops. I didn't place much value on it... until I got it. Now I can't imagine life without it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">every once in a while CheaperThanDirt puts this bag up for $20. I have 4 of them and I have zero complaints... They are 17x13x8 and it's amazing how much you can get into the bag.

BAG-157.jpg

I have one of these, and it's pretty great for the money. I got mine from Streichers though, but it's the same bag.

Surprisingly robust for what I expect is a generic made in china bag. Mag pouches sorta stink, but they do the job.

Shooters Connection makes a very high quality range bag that is fairly large and should hold everything listed. Just Google it.

Just a note; I ended up with the Midway. It is so practical I got real excited and loaded it with so much stuff I could barely pick it up. The downside to all of these top notch bags is that they are so well designed that you're tempted to over fill them. Now I carry only what I actually need and it works well.

I've owned a lot of different bags and go through different "moods" as to what to carry around.

Lately, I've been carring around a molle II army surplus pack that I picked up at Knob Creek gun range during their machine gun shoot. At least I think its a molle II, a medium size pack,...probably considered a 3 day pack.

I bought the pack to use as a range bag because I find myself constantly taking more and more "stuff" to the firing line and the pack helps free up my hands to carry more "stuff".

galls is having a 15% off sale, and free shipping over 75 bucks, so if you find a good bag there, you can get a good deal on it

I bought the compact Midway range bag in OD green when it was on sale. For the price, I have no complaints. All I use it for is carrying gear from my car to the firing line though.