• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Range day with my son

saleen

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2007
Sugar Land, TX
This morning I packed up my 9 year old and headed out to Bayou Rifles in Brazoria County (Texas) for some range time. He recently decided that the Spikes .22 M4 might be a bit cooler than his trusty Crickett (more accurate too!) and he expressed an intrest in getting some time behind the scope instead of just iron sights.

I threw a WOTAC 12x44 on the Spikes to get him used to the glass and let him settle in for some familiarization rounds at the 75 yard stand. He never missed the 10 ring on the target and fairly well wore out the "X" in short order.

Once I was satisfied with how he was driving the gun, I agreed to let him stretch it out to 100 yards and let him settle down behind my suppressed SDM-R. I gave him two mags with three each, and I was pretty happy with his results. This was his first time at 100 and his first time with anything besides a .22lr

He says he wants to take his first deer this season, and if he keeps this up I don't see any reason why he shouldn't get the chance!

Saleen

Re: Range day with my son

Thats awesome man, I have about 5 more years until I can bring my boy to the range with me. He looks like a happy camper. Keep it up!

Awesome work getting the little man into shooting, looks like he's got a good instructor!

keep him shooting and you wont worry about what he's doing when he's older. nice groups for 22 amm0 as well

Looks a little high and to the left to me...

Then again, I find it bizarre that he's so happy that dad's shooting at him

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks a little high and to the left to me...

Then again, I find it bizarre that he's so happy that dad's shooting at him
....</div></div>
LMAO!!!! I called bayou by the orange fence!!! Great that you are out shooting with him. Now meander on over to the 300 yd line and get him shootin!!!!
grin.gif

Nice shootin to your son. I remember the fun I had getting my son out when he was young. It builds some good memories for the two of you.

IMHO, only allow him to go for a deer if he understands he has to chase the one he only winged as long as it takes to kill it and is willing to skin and dress it down with you. Hitting a target is just the start. In our state you also have to take a safe hunters course before you can get a lisc. I think its important too, but thats just me.

Yes as a father of two young not old enough shooters yet. One of my biggest pet peeves is someone who takes their kid on a damn fenced 100 or less acre deer hunt and they do nothing except shoot the deer and get there pic made with it. THAT IS NOT HUNTING!!! And the sad thing is when they post the pic the dont tell you thats whats taken place. Get a kid DIrty and rub some blood on his face like i had done I feel it is in a way a start of Manhood. Nice looking kid and good job with his shooting

He's been going out with me since he was 5, and he's always shown curiosity / intrest in the inner workings of a deer so to speak. We don't just field dress our deer, we skin & quarter them. And while I've never had him in there carving away at it, he'll get dirty on the first one he puts down.

The daughter isn't as resiliant when it comes to the gore, but I'm working on her.....

Saleen