• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range etiquette and barrel length

Re: Range etiquette and barrel length

That's why I keep a box of tampons in my range bag. I just set them up on the bench before I start shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Common courtesy, like common sense, is not common. Try to be polite. If there is room at the end, go there. If someone tries to set up next to you when you're shooting a concussive weapon, inform them of that and let them decide if they want to put up with it. If the don't want to, they can move. If you're coming in and there is only one space, ask if the others mind. If someone comes in next to you with such a weapon and there is space down the row, ask them politely if they would consider moving. If they don't, then either suck it up and put up with it or move. </div></div>

THIS!!!!!

if they are warned politely, or even asked nicely for that matter then its on them!!

personally i think that is even being a little too nice, besides, what douchbag would actually say NO when asked if they minded if i sat next to them at a gun range!!!

So there I was minding my own business sighting in a win 270 before deer season. I am usually the first in line to the range and always prefer an end shooting station just to avoid the following situation. Billy Bob and his fat ass wife pull up during a break and set out targets 50 yards away and in front of half the range. The line goes hot, I send acouple down range and Fat Ass starts yelling at me about noise and how she can't concentrate. Very politely I tried to talk to them and was told " we've had these .22s for years and don't need anything else". After afew more from the 270 Billy asks me if I "wouldn't mind putting that thing away"? I said sure and in the case it went. Unloaded of course. I didn't have to but I pulled the Mosin Nagant carbine out of its case. I purposefully waited until Fat Ass was into her game behind the .22 and lit off the Nagant. I think she shat herself. They cursed me all the way to their vehicle.

When we go to the range my buddy always packs his hk 51 (8 inch barreled .308 for those that dont know ) just for this very reason. we have had people bitch about our .308 bolt guns with brakes. we try to be nice and polite but there is always that one complete douche bag that wont give up and then the mag dumps commence from the 51

I keep thinking about building a 17" Mosin-Nagant Miss Manners Range Rifle with a big-ass brake, like something off a Paladin. Gotta capture and redirect all that rank, rimmed Soviet goodness.

The noise and stink should keep them from realizing that an eyebrow is burnt off for the first few moments after....

Having been on the slapping end of a muzzle break of a 50 Beowulf coming out of a 16" barrel, I'd say that it's just part of going to the range.

If guys around you can't take a little bit of noise or muzzle blast, they shouldn't be there at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dirty diaper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So there I was minding my own business sighting in a win 270 before deer season. I am usually the first in line to the range and always prefer an end shooting station just to avoid the following situation. Billy Bob and his fat ass wife pull up during a break and set out targets 50 yards away and in front of half the range. The line goes hot, I send acouple down range and Fat Ass starts yelling at me about noise and how she can't concentrate. Very politely I tried to talk to them and was told " we've had these .22s for years and don't need anything else". After afew more from the 270 Billy asks me if I "wouldn't mind putting that thing away"? I said sure and in the case it went. Unloaded of course. I didn't have to but I pulled the Mosin Nagant carbine out of its case. I purposefully waited until Fat Ass was into her game behind the .22 and lit off the Nagant. I think she shat herself. They cursed me all the way to their vehicle. </div></div>

I think I just shat myself from laughing so hard at this

There are always going to be those that complain and odd situations.. just how it is. If you have a big banger, maybe shoot prone to keep the blast low if everyone else is benched up. Make space if there is room and if they complain, break out one of your other guns till they leave. If they are the guys that take one shot then bullshit for 15mins, I'd say continue as normal.. I find those the ones that complain the most. Take up space for 3hrs and get 20 shots in (oh, and they know EVERYTHING and your just the dumb wipper-snapper). I agree that when you go to a gun range it's going to be loud and you should know what you are getting into. I like shooting next to loud guns sometimes b/c it allows me to work on my concentration with other variables going on around me. Some just hate it.. and that's all there is to it.

It is a rifle range. Anyone who sets up next to someone else if there are open benches is a dink.

Just because you think you do not need hearing protection for a 22 does not mean I should not shoot my nagant. The small range near me only has 4 benches and this guy brought out a bunch of kids no hearing protection at all. So these kids had all the benches full and after 20 min of holding off I asked if I can shoot besides the end bench. The Dad said sure. Long story short kids where crying dad was pistoff and they left.

I was testing loads for my 338LM and I was shooting one round about once every 10 min. This guy had his daughter out trying to get her ready for deer season. Every time I shot I had let them shoot and they moved of their bench. I did ask if they had plugs and offered them some if they did not. Dad said we will be fine. So I told them it is bad are you sure. We are good. So I fired one shot. They got up and moved back to the pickup. I then shot my 22 and 308 while the clock clicked down for the 10 min. Every time I shot my GF said the just bitched at the noise.

My relative has a 50BMG and warned this guy beside him many times and he said I just want to watch you shoot I will stand behind you. After about 5 warnings and offering to put this persons rifle on the bench laying it on its side the guy said it will be ok. Well long story short round 1 from the 50 blew the rifle off the bench and it landed right on its scope bending it to hell.

I had a guy tell me I was all kinds of messed up for shooting an AR-15. This guy had two Anschutz bolt handguns. So I shot a group at 100 that was as good as this guy was shooting at 25. So I set the target on his bench and said I guess I can do about as good as you but with a rifle that is a quarter the cost of one of your handguns and at four times the distance. Looks like you got f**ked on your purchase. He did not say anything to me about that.

I have had a lot of positive experiences in the mean time. I have had a lot of good conversations with Mosin Nagant guys. A clean Mosin is a good looking gun. I also met a nice guy with a M1 Garand in immaculate condition. It was a fantastic piece of history.

In the weeks coming up to hunting season people were bring out their hunting rifles for sighting in. I was sitting next to guys who were shooting magnums, but it wasn't so bad.

Your ass bleeds ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megacab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's why I keep a box of tampons in my range bag. I just set them up on the bench before I start shooting.
</div></div>

I double up, plugs and muffs, regardless of who is where shooting what. If someone rolls up with a 16" .308 Carbine, which happened before, I got over it and acclimated after a few minutes. My friends wonder why they get headaches after a few hours at the range when its packed too, with nothing but foam plugs...

Even if I'm only shooting my .22's, I'll place myself at the end. There's only one bench next to it. Puts odds at my favor of NOT having that guy next to me. At the range I use, they don't typically try to place themselves there anyway...

Besides, the noise isn't usually what I'm worried about when I'm at a public range; it's the less-than-aware assholes I watch out for. THATS who I avoid.

I try and shoot suppresed , but unless I am assigned a certian spot at the range line , I sit away from everybody else if at all possible ...and if using the .50 I won't shoot untill they leave

Just this past sat at manatee gun club informed every one near my lane and the ro i was shooting my bmg50 no one wanted too move and they were ok with me shooting it until the 2nd round then the ro told me to put that thing away so i left but it was a day that most will shoot 5-10rds then b/s for 15min the ones that were there too shoot never said a word they were fine with the 50.still looking for some private land to shoot on so for now the 50cal stays in the safe.

I'm fortunate enough to have a lot of family owned property I can go shoot on whenever I want so most of the time I find myself on a public range is for matches. Even then a few times over the years I've found myself at public ranges from time to time when I didn't want to drive the 60-100 miles to my place just to shoot a new gun or verify zero before a match. Every time though I've been reminded why I HATE public ranges.

3-4 years ago I was at a local 100 yard range with one of the 308's I had at the time to verify zero and my new M107 just to put a few rounds through it. I was the only one there and had set up at the end bench since I was going to be shooting a 50 incase anybody else showed up. Well bubba showed up before I brought the 50 cal out. He sets up at the bench right beside me when all the others were open and when I saw him pull out a braked 338 win mag I asked him what he was doing, that his brake was going to be very loud and there was no point in us being side by side when all the other benchs were open. He said "if you don't like it you can leave". So I waited until he had his targets set up and was nestled in behind his bambi boomer, pulled the M107 from its case behind him, put it together, and loaded a 10 round mag. Once he was fully concentrated in shooting I put the rifle on the bench, loaded it up and proceeded to empty the mag as fast as I could blowing everything but the rifle he was holding on to for dear life off his bench. After dumping the mag I turned to him and said "two can play that game". He got pissed, bitched to the RO who didn't care, packed his shit and left.

What I am looking for is a very cheap 50bmg to shoot blackpowder out of. That combined with a lead bullet. Then when there are dicks at the range like that guy I can just put my good stuff away and tap off 5 or 6 of those black powder beauties. Then if they do not clean properly they can get the rust.

Yes that would make me a dick but why are you sitting next to me if there are open benches down range?

I normally have a pretty civil group of people shooting when I'm the RO. Quite often I have guys come to me, and tell me they have a loud weapon with a brake. I normally can accommodate them.

I have turned to the guy next to me while shooting to see him way back on his bench were my ear is about even with his muzzle. I have no problem with a brakes, but that is ridiculous. I simply request he adjust and I might have to also, so we are both comfortable and not rattling my fillings out.

The mag dump people are sort of obnoxious. Luckily at the range were I work, it isn't allowed. Every so often I get one. I just stroll over and politely remind them of the range rules. I rarely ever have to remind anyone a second time.

Bottom line is we're there having fun. Some more serious than others. As a RO I really try to be polite and courteous to all the people on the line, while I enforce the rules, and make sure people remain safe. As a little extra I do go out of my way to try and keep the experience pleasant for everyone. Kids with 22s I try and keep the big guns from being right next to them. Muzzle loaders somewhat together. Sometimes I just can't. It's just the luck of the draw. People just need to accept it and for the majority of the time they do.

This sounds like Illinois. Too funny!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Glock30</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dirty diaper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So there I was minding my own business sighting in a win 270 before deer season. I am usually the first in line to the range and always prefer an end shooting station just to avoid the following situation. Billy Bob and his fat ass wife pull up during a break and set out targets 50 yards away and in front of half the range. The line goes hot, I send acouple down range and Fat Ass starts yelling at me about noise and how she can't concentrate. Very politely I tried to talk to them and was told " we've had these .22s for years and don't need anything else". After afew more from the 270 Billy asks me if I "wouldn't mind putting that thing away"? I said sure and in the case it went. Unloaded of course. I didn't have to but I pulled the Mosin Nagant carbine out of its case. I purposefully waited until Fat Ass was into her game behind the .22 and lit off the Nagant. I think she shat herself. They cursed me all the way to their vehicle. </div></div>

I think I just shat myself from laughing so hard at this </div></div>

i have a jp brake on a 308 and i always ask before setting up next to people. usually they are OK but i cant help but feel like kind of a dick when it blows stuff off their benches.

With the popularity of the AR platform there are always a hail of loud gunfire at most public ranges. I shoot my GAP 10 at a local range and sometimes get comments about the noise level-it is the 18.5" with Surefire break (see website).
Because the range is "public" and open to all calibers including 50's it is hard to complain. I try to take care off business in the more "off" hours.....

yes ,it a firing range !good ear protection, please! yes we have wimps out there , cheap rasses use cheap ears, both are hurt by their dumb acts ........OUCH TOO TO YOU please learn or pay for it!

There aren't any public ranges in my area. And the range I'm a member at, has benches at one end of the range marked for muzzle brakes. They also have half circles of plywood over them to stop the blast from annoying the bench next to them. But I still want a 14" barrel mosin with a welded brake. Just in case.

I was at the range last night just taking up a bench while all the deer hunters were panicking about getting their rifles ready to go for deer season today. Yes talk about holding until the last day. Any way I was just shooting a bolt 223 with my AR-10A2 with the three cut muzzle break just sitting there. Sure as hell some idiot came and sat down on my bench without even asking and just started setting up. WTF!? Seriously!? He said I hope you don’t mind as he just pushed my stuff over onto my side of the bench. Yes he just slid my rifle and stuff across the bench to my side. I told him I do mind and did not like the fact how he just scratched the hell out of my stuff. I swear to god he said. It is just a AR they are made to take that kind of abuse. I want some cash for you jacking up my rifle. He just laughed. I grabbed my AR-10 and was pointing out the scratches to him and he just blew me off. Well jack ass when you sit down on my bench and scratch the stuff I brought and you do not have ear plugs on you are going to lose hearing.

I handed my muffs to the guy on the other bench and told him put these on. He did I walked behind my bench and with the muzzle right above my seat at his ear level I proceeded to pump the full 20rds out and then swapped the mag and locked and loaded. Oh I am sorry did you not have hearing protection in? I said to him. He was saying some shit about being deaf and packed up his crap and left. Some old guy came over and said that guy does that every year to some left hander just moves in like he owns the place. You better go because he is probably calling the cops right now.

The guy I gave my muffs to said that was horrible thank you for giving me these muffs. Sure as hell the highway patrol came rolling in and talked to everyone and they all said I do not know what you are talking about.

Frack him and I know he did lose lots of hearing in that one ear. I fired 4 shots from that rifle in the past without hearing protection and I will never do that again.

Well as for me, I do warn others of my breaks. Going too far as well I have plenty of sandbags in the locker at the range. I do put up a wall ( 3 bags each side) to try to curb the noise from others. But still there are always the others that want to complain.

As far as RPK762. I caint think anything illegal you did, I would have been more than happy to tell the officer about the "destruction of personal property" Ill be damned if I let anyone touch my weapons without my permission at the range. Keep you hands of my rifles,food, money, and wife. Hmm caint decide the exact order of those.