• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Etiquette

wanna-see-my-65-creedmoor.jpg

Now, I still stand by my previous post in this thread.....100%

But, I do shoot a braked 6.5 CM and if somebody does set up right next to me with lots of open benches (I have no idea why they do this) I will say to them "I'm shooting a braked gun, you sure you want to set up rightnext to me?"

I do not shoot at public ranges and I believe that the OP said this was private....as in membership gun club???....range.

BUT

I have zero obligation to do so and little sympathy for people bitching about noise on a fucking rifle range.

Want quiet....try the library reading room

1618590943504.png

Last edited:
Reactions: kjmdrumz3
I think it is a good idea to give a heads up with something braked.

One time I took my wife to try out handguns at a local indoor range. They have private booths on the 25 yard range. View attachment 7605711
They also rent out guns. A person 2 doors down from us rented a braked Barrett m82 with a holographic on it. A range employee was with them. There was no warning at all.

My wife was about to take the last shot in a zev Glock when the Barrett fired. Her flight response kicked in. She flagged me for sure but I was able to get her to hand it to me before she completely fled.

I complained then and have been talking about it to employees of the place whenever I go there. Sad thing is that they have the widest selection of good handguns to rent.

I mostly shoot outdoors these days since we bought our house. That range is now 27 miles away vs the 2.5 it was. Now I've got a 100 yd outdoor for $60 a year.
Jesus H how much are the Range Fees at this place...? Looks like a fuckin Country Club, do they require a collared shirt / dress shoes and how much was the Wine and Caviar :ROFLMAO:

I always try to be courteous. I usually set up my braked 6.5CM as far from the guy who was already there as I can but usually there is only one spot open...private rifle club/all NRA. I announce when I'm set up and the range goes hot that my rifle is fucking LOUD and offer apologies in advance. I have had people pack up and leave giving me dirty looks - I have had people tell me to stop shooting until they leave. Like maybe 2 out of 100.

One guys asked me how'd I like it if he brought out his braked .338 LM and set up right next to me and I told him it's fine go on ahead....rifle ranges are loud and I'm doubled up on hearing protection because Rifle. Ranges. Are. Loud. I'm not trying to be a pain but ranges are loud and your hearing protection is your responsibility.

That's my opinion.

VooDoo

I helped design, build and run an outdoor range. I can tell you, public ranges are a good place to meet life long, like minded friends and patriots but is also a shit magnet for clods and fuckups. We tried to have a zero policy towards the latter.

The last time I shot on a public range the clod factor was high, fuckheads setting up right next to me when they had the whole firing line to space out on, shooting my target along with spraying others and then copping an attitude when you tell them thats yours. Fuck it, I just packed my stuff up and left, vowing to never waste my time shooting on a public range again.

Jesus H how much are the Range Fees at this place...? Looks like a fuckin Country Club, do they require a collared shirt / dress shoes and how much was the Wine and Caviar :ROFLMAO:
The place is only 5 years old.

$15/hr/lane+ 10 for each additional shooter for the 25 yard lanes.

$25/hr/lane+ 10 for each additional shooter for 100yd tubes in the basement

$30/half hour indoor clay range. Clays included but have to use their ammo.

Rentals $15 per gun or $25 unlimited (unless full auto). Have to use their ammo.

They also have a burger place connected called .357 burgers.

I like surprising people at the indoor pistol range, I usually start with 22LR maybe jump to the 9mm then pull out the model 29 S&W 44 mag 8-3/8" barrel . Usually most stick their heads out of the ports to see wtf your shooting, pretty nice concussion in the port for a revolver.
This IS funny and reminds me of my time in Germany. Bought the same 44 mag. at our base "Outdoor & More" store, went to an underground private range to sight it in and get the feel of it. First round went off, flash curtains waved in the breeze, flash 3ft. out of the barrel, had every Herm in the place come over to me and ask..what the hell?? The big surprise, was when my buddy lit off his D-E .50 cal.. THAT was fun! Laughs to be had by everyone involved. Mac:cool:

The range can delegate authority but not responsibility... as the RSO you have the authority to enforce range rules... not personal responsibility... It is YOUR responsibility to safeguard your hearing and no one else's... the expectation you have of others is unfounded and frankly exactly part of the problems of todays society...

Reactions: Aftermath
Lol.

Hopefully homeboy is on this forum and catches this. Probably set up right next to you every time just to piss you off.

Must be fun going through life letting this lame shit bug you so much.

Warning that you are shooting a brake? Its a gun range, expect loud noises.
At my local dive(i prefer the private range my buddy is a member of), you will have all sorts of guns and various loudness levels. I have never been mad at someone with a brake next to me, showering me with brass or talking to me. I am not there to read a book in a quiet place. I run solely suppressed, but don’t expect the people next to me to.

Showered with brass.

Pick it up and when they start shooting throw it back.

It's not hard to use a net, deflector or catcher. And if nothing else a towl works fine. I keep my brass.

Or sometimes I like to play concentration. Let the brass fall on you down your neck, in your shirt, and finish your group.

Stand up shake out the brass and then show off the group.

Pistols are a different deal.

Reactions: Jgunner
You mean like when your busy shooting groups and they want to advise you how to dial in your scope?

Or maybe that you should buy some of the ammo their using since your brand seems inconsistent.

Hey you want to borrow my lead sled to dial that in?

I try to keep a controll batch handy.

If I'm at the range by myself, and someone walks up getting ready to shoot, I try to pay attention to what he's doing, and try to pay attention to his equipment, because sooner or later, before they shoot, they're going to want the range cold to set up a target. I'm at a gun range, where everybody has a gun. There's no way I can stay oblivious to what's going on around me.

Rentals $15 per gun or $25 unlimited (unless full auto). Have to use their ammo.

I actually went there when I worked in SLC last summer. Pretty nice place actually, got to get my first fix of freedom shooting suppressed

at the decent ranges around here (still 2hrs away) you don't really have a choice of benches as they tend to be full except right when they open and just before they close, but they are leaving every other bench empty because omg, covid!

When at the range I'm very courteous. We are all 2A ambassadors & I've met some solid people at the range.
The private range I just joined you have to shoot from the benches behind the berm your shooting 100-600 left to right. So if I want a few zero confirmation shots I have to set up at 1 of the first 4 benches to the left. I would definitely give a guy a heads up of what I was up to if I had to go get cozy with someone shooting a 22 @ 100. That said, it wouldn't bother me a bit if someone shot next to me without doing so.

8" 357 Maximum at an indoor range is quite enlightening :LOL:

Last weekend a whole bunch of us Jack-wagons had a contest to see who could zero while being blasted by brakes on either side.

This was Fucking loud!

Gee I wonder how I managed to get this Damn tinitus.
IMG_6208-2.JPG

I have a 10 inch, braked, 375 H&H single shot pistol. Shooting that under a covered line always pisses people off. So do the 454’s.

You mean like when your busy shooting groups and they want to advise you how to dial in your scope?

Or maybe that you should buy some of the ammo their using since your brand seems inconsistent.

Hey you want to borrow my lead sled to dial that in?

I try to keep a controll batch handy.
Yes..... hit the nail on the head.
You are grouping nicely at 800 metres, with your 6.5 Creedmoor, then they inform you they get better groups with their .223.... of course they are talking about 300 metres, without today's wind etc....🙄
I offer them a go with my 6.5, say I've got some spare rounds, feel free to have a go at the 800.
Then tell them that I am bringing out the .338 in an hour, they can show me some nice groups with that, if they want.
They waddle away when being challenged with some "Show and Tell".
😁

Reactions: elmuzzlebreak
Holy crap OP. All you need to say is line hot or line cold. You aren’t owed anything regarding a heads up or any special dispensation for being the first one there.
This isn’t the behavior that gives gun owners a bad name. You, the OP, are what give gun owners a bad name and kill shooting clubs to the point it becomes just you, and your buddies Randy and Ronald “plinking” your 22s while you listen to some boomer shit like Red Green on the stereo.
Get over yourself dude.

Attachments

• 5409F23F-F76C-400B-B5FB-DEB006EEEB08.jpeg
    5409F23F-F76C-400B-B5FB-DEB006EEEB08.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 53
I always crack up when I see threads like this because it's almost like people don't get that guns are loud and firing them is loud, so why surprised when guns are loud around you? Ported or braked guns don't bother me in the least unless they're blowing all my shit around or blowing clouds of dirt and rocks in my face. Of course when you got my hearing issues, anything .223 and above all sounds the same.

Reactions: Topstrap
I always crack up when I see threads like this because it's almost like people don't get that guns are loud and firing them is loud, so why surprised when guns are loud around you? Ported or braked guns don't bother me in the least unless they're blowing all my shit around or blowing clouds of dirt and rocks in my face. Of course when you got my hearing issues, anything .223 and above all sounds the same.
Same. I don't announce when I have explosive diarrhea before entering a public restroom either. Sorry guys, that's what we're here for. I'll pick a far stall and maybe courtesy flush, but only cause I'm a gentleman. I'm not holding it in or delaying my shit until you're done with yours.

When at the range I'm very courteous. We are all 2A ambassadors & I've met some solid people at the range.
The private range I just joined you have to shoot from the benches behind the berm your shooting 100-600 left to right. So if I want a few zero confirmation shots I have to set up at 1 of the first 4 benches to the left. I would definitely give a guy a heads up of what I was up to if I had to go get cozy with someone shooting a 22 @ 100. That said, it wouldn't bother me a bit if someone shot next to me without doing so.

8" 357 Maximum at an indoor range is quite enlightening :LOL:

Last weekend a whole bunch of us Jack-wagons had a contest to see who could zero while being blasted by brakes on either side.

This was Fucking loud!

Gee I wonder how I managed to get this Damn tinitus.
View attachment 7606000
Now the shoot master walks up and down the line whipping everyone.

"Get straight behind your rifle, straight behind your rifle." GGGRRRRRR AAHHHHHH nine, why is everyone crooked.

Made me laugh in another thread, there were a bunch of people with pictures of themselves shooting from their benches, and most of them had their shoulders and hips 45 degrees to their rifle. I bet I can guess which way their rifle jumps. :ROFLMAO:

if a guy sits next to me and im already shooing...its on him

i always look at the rifles in the rack to see what going to happen (for laughs and for my personal safety...so a moron doesnt shoot me by mistake)

if he has a 100$ bent SKS wearing fatigues i act differently if it see the guy has a front rest and bunny ear rear bag

if i walk up to a new spot and im shooting something bigger than 308 with a brake i might say something if hes shooting a wood stocked hunting rifle.
if he has a "tactical" rifle i wont.

if im shooting a small cal 6mm brake or not and then i bring out a 300 win mag or larger magnum ill tell them because i just moved up a few levels of noise etc.

women always
old guys always

but mostly because if dont want them to shoot like shit and waste their time at the range

Reactions: LimaKilo
I was driving the wife's lexus and stopped to pick up a few things at the store. I parked all the way out in left field of the lot. Not a single car around for 30 spaces. When I come out of the store there's a Mercedes parked in the space right next to me.
I parked my truck next to a cart return once. I crowded the return on the passenger side so I had almost half of the space on the driver's side. I come out and there's a hooopty parked in the extra space I left to get into my truck.
I have a few business cards that read " Next Time Leave A Can Opener"
I put them under their wipers and leave.

Never heard of an indoor clay range.

I agree with the OP. Setting up with a big bore next to a 22 shooter at an otherwise empty range is a douche move.
Setting up directly beside someone else that you don't already know at an otherwise empty range is a dick move, period. I typically get a bench all the way to the left at my range, when available. I have never had some one set up beside me unless the range was full.

I have a 10 inch, braked, 375 H&H single shot pistol. Shooting that under a covered line always pisses people off. So do the 454’s.
ok im going to need to see pictures of this.

ok im going to need to see pictures of this.
I gave bum scoop. Should read it 15 inch barrel. When I get back to my other property I'll get some pictures. That gun made my dick bigger.

Ha yesterday my buddy and I are at the range(outdoor) where you place your own paper targets at 100. My shooting day was cut short phone wouldn't shut up and had multiple forest fires to put out so I went on a walkabout the property to get some quiet for phone calls. Maybe an hour later I came back and he was done only to find out some guy showed up and started shooting at buddy's target stand/paper while he was doing load dev on his new 300 Norma. I thought he was joking at first, but damn that is brazen.

Ha yesterday my buddy and I are at the range(outdoor) where you place your own paper targets at 100. My shooting day was cut short phone wouldn't shut up and had multiple forest fires to put out so I went on a walkabout the property to get some quiet for phone calls. Maybe an hour later I came back and he was done only to find out some guy showed up and started shooting at buddy's target stand/paper while he was doing load dev on his new 300 Norma. I thought he was joking at first, but damn that is brazen.
I've had that happen when doing load development. I won't put out my 22 steel targets at the one range because they would be shot with a center fire. I'm surprised I haven't seen guys complaining about semi autos making it rain brass on them and their rifle. I can't count the amount of times I've had that happen, a few people realize what they are doing. Then others don't give a fuck and continue shooting.

Beyond just range etiquette to act civil I took notice that people are saying please and thank you a hell of a lot less , example my neighbors kid tried to ask my father if he could fix his bikes chain . And to me on the out side it really did remind me of a national geographic special . The ones where they are attempting to teach the chimps to sign this child grunted , hopped and pointed . but never uttered a single please or thank you , I almost thought it a one off thing until in the forums I started to read posts where people are needing things which happens , but again not a single please or a thank you . Now I know I am nit picking on something so small but the post did mention etiquette . Am I alone in wondering why this practice is dying out ? or are people in just so much of a hurry than it never crosses there minds . I neither see it as too much to ask nor taking so long it can't be done when you are in a hurry . Simple words please and thank you but they nice to hear . lol

Please make all adds WTB-P/TY or WTS-P/TH from now on. Its the glue holding our society together. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Learned helplessness, why do more than anyone expects out of you. Old men used to be hard asses for a reason. If he wanted to be asked with P's and Q's all he had to do was insist to be asked that way before he helped fix it.

Douche move to sit by someone at an empty range.

Douche move to run to the internet to cry because someone sat next to you at an empty range.

Anymore little minuscule shit we are triggered by? Do we need a rainbows and safe spaces thread adjacent to the shit house?

LOL, guns are loud dude.

This reminds me of when I went to the local indoor range a few months back to shoot my new 10mm and some queef was next to me shooting some weird looking 22 target pistol for groups. He clearly didn't like the fact I was shooting my 10mm, nor the fact that I brought A LOT of hot underwood ammo with me, and I clearly didn't give a fuck about his whining. He bitched to the RO that my brass was going forward in front of his partition and in his line of sight and that I was messing up his groups. The RO (clearly annoyed by this guy) asked me to take a few steps back which would have put me behind the firing line and been unsafe. I took about a step back to try to satisfy this guy and to still keep my gun in front of the other shooters which caused my brass to go OVER the partition and started hitting him. EPIC. He started bitching more and the RO basically laughed at him, I kept shooting, and he packed up his shit and left.

Don't be a range queef.

If you don't like the fact that someone might show up and shoot something noisy that you don't like then buy property and make your own range.

Reactions: stevieb92
Setting up directly beside someone else that you don't already know at an otherwise empty range is a dick move, period.

It's amazing to see all the shit some of you think you're owed.

If you don't like it, leave.

haha, my friend wanted to shoot my .308 with a brake but didn't want to drive all the way out to an outdoor range.
so we went to an indoor range...
and i told the girl at the counter that the rifle was very loud, just fyi...
and she said "its a shooting range" and smiled....
and put me next to somebody shooting an airgun :ROFLMAO:

I shoot everything suppressed, even 5.56.

That said, I can honestly say I've never complained about loud noises at a gun range be it private, public, or a match.

Yea, I don't like being in the blast radius of a brake; like the fucktard stages where they line you all up prone, and I have to make a pillow-fort out of my ruck and bags to shield my head from the blast, and throw a towel over my action to shield it from all the dust and dirt from the fuckbrake guys blasting me out of my skin..., but I have never complained...

You should have called the manager to complain.

I am so sorry this happened to you.

Is this what you were shooting when it happened?

46723-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Last edited:
To the OP...

You have just described the "New American Culture". Seems to have developed over the past few years. Your example was at 'The Range". Exchange 'Range" for fishing hole, sit down restaurant, standing in a check out line, at the McDonald's drive through, etc... You are witnessing the down fall of an empire.

It will only get worse.

It's amazing to see all the shit some of you think you're owed.

If you don't like it, leave.
If you set up right beside someone you don't know at a range with 10+ stations, it's a dick move. I wouldn't leave, but I would ask you why you thought it would be OK.

I'm not talking about the Saturday before deer season, I' specifically referring to times when the range is otherwise empty.

Reactions: Steel+Killer