• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range finder beam alignment

sled_mack

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2008
Slatington, PA
OK, I know there are some proven methods to test for this to know where the beam is with respect to the reticle. And I had seen mentioned to search youtube for "a lot of videos" on how to do it. I searched youtube. I found exactly one.

Any hints on what to search for?

Here is my current thinking on how to best do this - find the beam size (I've got a Bushnell Conx, I expect it is in the manual somewhere) and make a cardboard cutout that size for a 100 yard target (I realize the spec will be in MIL or MOA, the conversion to inches is easy). Put the "target" at exactly 100 yards and keep ranging until the beam goes through the hole. Should work, right?

I realize I might need to make the hole bigger. Cardboard it cheap, I can put a few out to start with and keep working from large hole to small hole. That might make life easier?

And obviously I need a very stable tripod to make this work.

Anything I'm missing? Is there a better way I should be doing this?

Thanks,
Steve

I saw a great tip on LRO. Find a powerline at 200 yds and range against the open sky, move toward the reticle until you get a reading. Do this above and below for vertical, then rotate the LRF sideways 90 degrees and repeat for side to side alignment.

Rasyad

Reactions: dave300 and Mr.BR
Frank Gali suggested to me ranging the top of a telephone pole from about 50 yards away against a clear sky. If you are getting a reading beam is hitting the pole. If you are getting an obviously wrong reading, or an error, its not. I turned my Leica 2700 90 degrees Left then Right. Then upside down. Found mine is in the lower 1/2 of the reticle and just below.
Hope that helps.
Tom

I am looking to buy my first LRF and have been doing research. Wow, what dizzying array of options, time to break out the spreadsheet so I can compare features and notes. It does look like a good year for buying new and used and I can't imagine being able to make an informed decision without the experience and help of members here.

Rasyad

NIGHT VISION.

PLRF on a tripod illuminate the target, but make a note on what the reticle is aiming. Turn off the targets illumination and repeat looking through NV -- works on consumer grade stuff until you get to the better Vectronicx

Last edited:
I set up my Swaro 10x42 LRF last night on a tripod. Beam was exactly aligned with target dot near as I could tell.