• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range finders ?

TKCattle

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2017
Southern Iowa
Thinking about upgrading my range finder. I have a Leupold RX-1000. Like to stay with something with red read out. What are you guys using?

The sig kilo 2200 has gotten great reviews up to this point. Nikon is releasing one supposedly 4000yd capable for a reasonable price.

The Terrapin X is supposed to be released this summer.

Reactions: LG65CM
Bushnell ConX is the best bang for the buck, it does so much more and it can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it, If money is not an issue then the G7 BR2500 gets my vote.

hope that helps.

Companies can always change, but I've owned two "high end" bushnell rangefinders and both have been monumental disappointments. I'm a Sig fan now.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
Had a Leica 1000 for years, it would read out to 1400y. Last year the range button stuck, sent it back, Leica sent me a brand new CRF1600 no questions ask. That was amazing, it was probably 8 or 9 years old and I was only expecting a trade in credit or something but wow. As for performance, I tried my Leica against a Vortex and Sig this past hunting season and there was no comparison. The Leica would read whatever I pointed it at out to 1500+ yards, while the Vortex and Sig would only read in perfect conditions out to maybe 900y. My brother's Vortex is for sale. My buddies said maybe he won't need to range an elk over 600y in a snowstorm. I said yes but it's nice to know he is 900y and you need to close at least 200y to make a confident shot.

Reactions: Chui
Companies can always change, but I've owned two "high end" bushnell rangefinders and both have been monumental disappointments. I'm a Sig fan now.
Well many folks are very happy with the new bushnell products, and it was only a couple of months ago where sig were selling the 2000 where over 60% of owners had to return them and then wait 8 to 10 weeks to get a refund, So no company is without their troubles.

My first laser rangefinder was the old Bushnell 500 yardage Pro somewhat of a "ground breaker" in its day. Then I got a Nikon laser 800 that I used for a number of years. After that I got a Bushnell 1200 ARC rangefinder that I used for one season maybe two before I sold it.

All of the above used the black color in the display.... a real handicap in low light with old eyes.

Currently I use a Leupold Rx-1000i TBR with DNA (digitally eNhanced Accuracy). It is easily the best of the rangedfinders that I have used to date, especially considering price range, how it performs, and the tasks it does. It displays the information in red and has three levels of brightness to accomodate conditions.

My only negative about it (if you can categorize it as such) would be range. It is suppose to be able to range out to a thousand yards but I have not found conditions favorable enough to accomplish that apparently. I have ranged around seven hundred yards and that is about it. Not a factor in bowhunting but in predator hunting it is nice information to have at your fingertips.
Actually you have a good point there with the black Ret, I wish they would make a switchable one where you can pick either Red or Black because the Red would work in Brush and at night and the Black would work out in the Desert and in Snow covered areas.

I wish Leupold would bring back the Leupold RXB IV and give it a big boost in power, I always wanted one of those (y)

John.

Cool fairy tale bro, the Soviets put one on a tank in '72. Pretty sure Bushnell had nothing to do with it.:geek:

Leica 2700 b is replacing my old Leica. I can honestly say, Leica has never disappointed me but it does sell at a premium price. Bushnell products on the other hand have always disappointed me and sell at a non premium price.

Leica 2700 b is replacing my old Leica. I can honestly say, Leica has never disappointed me but it does sell at a premium price. Bushnell products on the other hand have always disappointed me and sell at a non premium price.
The 2700 is a great rangefinder, since the birth of the BR2 and the sigs it seems like they are all stepping up a gear and that is good for us, I would like to see some more 2700 reviews because that is a real solid LRF.

Vectronix is the best, second is leica. If I was on a budget it would be the leica 2700b all the way. If you wanna spend more I would wait for the new Terrapin x from Vectronix which was designed specifically for the civilian longrange hunter/shooter. It will be out in May of this year.

Last edited:
Vectronix are very nice but they are not really in the Hunting /Shooting grade bracket because they are a Military grade LRF although many folks put them to good use and they Do it so very well. Leupold seem more suited as a good solid Hunting LRF, Bushnell are Aimed more towards Competition and the Battlefield/Tactical but it seems to excel in Hunting conditions according to those who shoot ot eat, Sig seem to be aimed at Long Range Ringing Steel, G7 BR2/2500 seems to do it all quite well and seems a bit of a Hybrid with it's big robust design and inbuilt software. But I like the design of the G7, It just looks right for the job which it shares some of those features with the ConX but it is the connectivity and the options with the ConX that won me over, If they give the next model a power boost it will be the best LRF ever made, But because people want to be able to range way past what their rifles can shoot even though only a select few have the skill to shoot that far, It seems peoples thinking is the longer an LRF can range the better it is but that is not the case, makes me ask what is the point in that if you can't put it to good use, There is a big difference in thinking that you can shoot that far and actually making the shot.

Last edited:
If you can hold of your purchase till the NRA show I would do that.

New stuff is coming and it'll be a great opportunity to either grab old models at a killer price or make the decision that you want the new stuff.
CoooL sounds like a day in Paradise, (y)

It really depends on your intended use .First off if you want a rangefinder to work fairly well to 1000 yards then in my experience you need a 2000 yard model because they all greatly exaggerate the effectiveness of their models( except Vectronix which actually work well past their advertised range) If it is midrange ( under 700 yards) then one of the cheaper ones will do. If you are talking long range then the choices are greatly narrowed.The new Terrapin X from vectronix is geared towards the longrange hunter/shooter . It was designed specifically for the civilian market. It is $1800 usd which is pricey but frankly I was expecting it to be about $3000. Vectronix really is in a league of their own but the others are closing the gap. If you HUNT longrange don't waste your money on cheaper rangefinders as they simple will not do the job . Perhaps in a year or 2 this will change. I have tried many and they are near useless for longrange hunting. They are fine for longrange shooting to verify steel targets. They work ok on relatively large steel targets, buildings, trees , large rocks etc but if you are using it for smaller targets or game animals they work to less than half their advertised distance at best in my experience. They are ok for midrange hunting( inside 600 yards) but just try getting a reading off a coyote at 700 yards. That being said they are getting better all the time and maybe they will soon have one which will range a coyote at 700 yards and beyond.
I know a dealer here in Canada who sells sig, BR2 and Leica( among others) and as far as straight rangefinding capability goes he says the new leica 2700B superior to the other 2 and it is far cheaper. Of course you can only put one custom ballistic curve at a time but still. That being said there are real advantages to the sig and br2 because they can store multiple weapons and are far superior to leupold etc.
The other thing I forgot to mention is the aiming reticle. Many of them are so large they would cover a full sized pickup at 900 yards which makes it useless( for longrange hunting) no matter how far it can range.

Last edited:
The 2700 is a great rangefinder, since the birth of the BR2 and the sigs it seems like they are all stepping up a gear and that is good for us, I would like to see some more 2700 reviews because that is a real solid LRF.

I have been using the Leica 1600 and then the 2000 since they were introduced.. I've been very happy with them. As my equipment and skill has increased, so have the capabilities of the LRF's. I also have a terrapin which is incredible, but I dont take it out much cuz I'm always skeered that I'll drop it and then its toast.. I ordered the new Leica 2700b and it should be here this week (3-27/28ish) Really looking forward to playing with the new one.

It really depends on your intended use .First off if you want a rangefinder to work fairly well to 1000 yards then in my experience you need a 2000 yard model because they all greatly exaggerate the effectiveness of their models( except Vectronix which actually work well past their advertised range) If it is midrange ( under 700 yards) then one of the cheaper ones will do. If you are talking long range then the choices are greatly narrowed.The new Terrapin X from vectronix is geared towards the longrange hunter/shooter . It was designed specifically for the civilian market. It is $1800 usd which is pricey but frankly I was expecting it to be about $3000. Vectronix really is in a league of their own but the others are closing the gap. If you HUNT longrange don't waste your money on cheaper rangefinders as they simple will not do the job . Perhaps in a year or 2 this will change. I have tried many and they are near useless for longrange hunting. They are fine for longrange shooting to verify steel targets. They work ok on relatively large steel targets, buildings, trees , large rocks etc but if you are using it for smaller targets or game animals they work to less than half their advertised distance at best in my experience. They are ok for midrange hunting( inside 600 yards) but just try getting a reading off a coyote at 700 yards. That being said they are getting better all the time and maybe they will soon have one which will range a coyote at 700 yards and beyond.
I know a dealer here in Canada who sells sig, BR2 and Leica( among others) and as far as straight rangefinding capability goes he says the new leica 2700B superior to the other 2 and it is far cheaper. Of course you can only put one custom ballistic curve at a time but still. That being said there are real advantages to the sig and br2 because they can store multiple weapons and are far superior to leupold etc.
I know of someone who is already ranging Coyotes with his Bushnell Elite 1 mile (Not the ConX) at 1416 in the Snow, I know for a fact that like Vectronix Bushnell has been under rating their LRFs when it comes to ranging Animals, depending if you look in the manual or on the box they quote between 500 yards to 600 yards but they easily range animals from 880 to 1660, and I know of people ranging rocks beyond 1800 yards, Ranging buildings an important fact from a tactical point of view so all the negative talk about that is invalid Bushnell actually state that the EL 1 Mile and the ConX are made for competition and battlefield use which would include ranging buildings,

From the price point nothing come close when it boils down to function and features and I defy anyone to stand within the range of the specs without need to change their underwear, damned if I would, Lol. All these new breed of LRF's are game changers so it is a good time to keep some spare cash put aside just in case the deal of a life time comes along, The next couple of years are going to be exciting times as far as
rangefinder are concerned.

Last edited:
Both my Leicas have ranged beyond there stated yardage, the difference is what you are ranging. The 1000 would range about any good sized rock or PD mound at @1000 and then large rocks and trees at 1400+. My 1600 will range big stuff at 2000+ yards and I ranged an elk with it at 1300 this past season. Could not get the Vortex 1500 or Sig 2000 to give a range anywhere in the vicinity of that elk. We did get the Vortex and Sig to range a truck at 1300 yards just to make sure they were capable of doing it. Another thing to consider especially if for hunting, is how far will it range while compensating for angle. My brothers Vortex 1500 only does it out to like 600 yards. But that's about as far as we got it to range an animal anyway.

Both my Leicas have ranged beyond there stated yardage, the difference is what you are ranging. The 1000 would range about any good sized rock or PD mound at @1000 and then large rocks and trees at 1400+. My 1600 will range big stuff at 2000+ yards and I ranged an elk with it at 1300 this past season. Could not get the Vortex 1500 or Sig 2000 to give a range anywhere in the vicinity of that elk. We did get the Vortex and Sig to range a truck at 1300 yards just to make sure they were capable of doing it. Another thing to consider especially if for hunting, is how far will it range while compensating for angle. My brothers Vortex 1500 only does it out to like 600 yards. But that's about as far as we got it to range an animal anyway.
Good post caveman, I do like the Leica's, In fact I was going to buy the Leica 1600/2000 this time last year and the I saw the Bluetooth etc and when with the ConX, I think we need more Leica threads, not just about how far they range but more about "How Too" with setting up etc, The 2700 is a prime example of that there is really no solid info about the thing, which is a shame.

Sig is the best deal going for the price, it's a great little unit. My all time favorite LRF for the price was the old Swarovski Laserguide, the've been discontinued but retailed for a grand and will hit stuff way out. They also have phenomenal glass for monocular use. You can find them used for $500-$700 occasionally.

Can't comment on the Bushnell Conx but I had a few of their older 1500 models and they were alright. Nearly 10 years ago they were ok for the $300 price tag but today there's plenty in that price range that makes that model seem like a piece of junk.

The old Leicas were awesome, the new ones have had some issues, not sure if they got them sorted out but I had problems with my 1600 right off the bat, warrantied it, and ditched it cheap. The new 2700 is supposed to be solid based on feedback I've heard from those who's opinion I trust.

Reactions: MilDot1960
Never heard of the Laser Guide was that a mono or bino ?

Those older Bushnell 1500's could be a bit hit and miss from the reviews I have seen but most were happy with them, they still sell for a reasonable price as far as second hand units go ?

It was a monocular, it was called the Laserguide 8x30. They still make the binos, I've got one of the EL Range 10x42's that I picked up for $1200 when Gander was going under. They're sweet units but at the $3K+ they typically sell for I'd rather spend the extra money and get a Vectronix unit with a compass feature.

Reactions: MilDot1960
It was a monocular, it was called the Laserguide 8x30. They still make the binos, I've got one of the EL Range 10x42's that I picked up for $1200 when Gander was going under. They're sweet units but at the $3K+ they typically sell for I'd rather spend the extra money and get a Vectronix unit with a compass feature.
Beautiful gear that EL range but when you see that word Vectronix resistance is useless, incredible gear, The most fun you can have with ya Pants On. (y)

Quick question. I am looking for a rangefinder with the stabilizer feature (locks on target after you hit the button) and ballistic calculator. Do all the ballistic calculators use MOA only and MRAD folks just crunch the numbers? Or am I just shit at research? Any help is appreciated.

Quick question. I am looking for a rangefinder with the stabilizer feature (locks on target after you hit the button) and ballistic calculator. Do all the ballistic calculators use MOA only and MRAD folks just crunch the numbers? Or am I just shit at research? Any help is appreciated.
Mine is not Image stabilized but it will give you readouts in MOA, MIL and IN and CM,s

Reactions: Arkansas
I have a Leica CRF 1000 and CRF 2000b. they are excellent range finders with excellent glass, which is often an overlooked component in an LRF.

My new Bushnell Elite 1-Mile CONX Combo gets poor returns past 1100 and quits past 1200 yards for bush and white painted steel. Rather disappointed and I had hopes it would reach farther. I thought I had I learned with the Bushnell Scout, that advertised range is marketing dreams/lies. Next up, Nikon Monarch 3000 Stabilized, it may reach 2000 yards on some good reflexive surface.

So far Leica 2700 is the top dog of the Lrfs i used so far, my Sig2200 quits on practical sized steel (shiny white, reflective by any standard)at about 1100y ,friends sig2200 quits already on 900y ,Leica 1600 stops at 900y as well ,(given Sigs 3400y max range claim i am reluctant to go for Nikons 3000 stabilised ,that is hypoteticaly even 400y shorter ranged , i am afraid will end up with sub 900y unit on steel targets in real life conditions) and looking trugh Nikon 3000 on IWA show it has a huge reticle that is borderline useles against targets below 6x6feet in size at 1000+y ,will wait for 4000 model , but am leaning more towards the idea that i will just have to buy a much more expenisve Vectronix Terrapin X and be done with the branded chicom LRFs

I’ve owned Bushnell, Leica, Vectronix, Swaroski, and Sig.

The glass, subjectively, went Leica / Swaroski / Vectronix, then Sig, Bushnell.

Honestly, the glass on all of them, except the bushnell, was exceptional. The bushnell tended to distort on the edges.

The Leica, a 1200, woukd not range on highly reflectvie targets. So it went back...

The Swaroski was rock solid, but it was old technology and had a very difficult time ranging as well as the newer units.

The Bushnell worked pretty well, bang for the buck.

The Sig was the best one up to that point. Great glass, handles the angle calculation, and ranges pretty well.

All of that said, the Vectronix crushed all of them. It ranged jn nearly all conditions out to at least 2000m.

I really wanted the Leica to work, back in the day -this was about 5years ago-, but at that time they were having issues with them.

The Sig is leica sized, e.g. very small.

Vectronix is coming out with a new hand held unit, that also works with bluetooth. If you want to cry once, thats the unit.

Otherwise, I really dont think you’ll go wrong with any of the brands above. I think itll come down to additonal features.

Reactions: Justin McNunya
Which SIG range finder had great glass , bunch of kilo2000 and 2200 i had oprotunity to use have glass that should not be called glass but piece of tupervare plastic with only tiny center field giving somewhat good picture rest is total crap with huge distortion in more tha 1/3 of the field i havent seen anthing worse so far in LRFs glass .But yes like you mentioned so far best bang for the buck on pure ranging preformance

I have a Sig Kilo 2200MR now, it's OK. The lens makes everything very blue which is annoying, but the small lase box is helpful. The rest of the reticle is a bit of a gimmick I think. The best thing about the 2200MR is the Hyperscan, which is like a full-auto LRF, 5 times a second I think it will run approx... Excellent for moving targets or holding over a dodgy target area (bushes).

Two of my good mates have the Leica 1600-B, this unit will range better than the Sig in bright daylight.

I've had previously the Swarovski Laser Guide, excellent unit, amazing glass clarity however as was said above, old technology that struggled compared to todays unit but the viewing screen was HUGE compared to the compact LRF units getting around today. Excellent LRF.

Bushnell CONX, sold it, didn't range well even on a full size 4wd vehicle in bright daylight at 500m... Unimpressive.

Overall, if you can't afford a Vectronix, I would be looking at the new Leica's mate.

Reactions: Stpilot12
Sig kilo 2400 abs. Will range, with calculated angles, and give you your dope. What more could you need in a range finder?

My first rangefinder was a Bushy 1 mile arc. I just sold it. It would range large objects to a mile, like a semi truck. It ranges trees to 900 or so. I was able to range deer to 7-800. I got it to range a coyote at 903 last week in good conditions.

I got a Sig 2200 LRH thinking it was an upgrade. I was instantly disappointed. I got it to range a tractor at 1400. It wouldn’t range buildings at 900 that the bushnell would. I ranged a couple cows at 400 it ranged the cow at 600 it wouldn’t. The Bushnell ranged the cow at 600 easily. I sent the Sig to Sig CS. They said it ranged to 1306 and was GTG. I sold it on eBay.

I decided to get a Leica 2700. I stepped out of my pickup and started getting hits on everything. We got it to range buildings out a pickup window to 2600. It got trees to 2000. I’m very happy I got it. It will be all the rangefinder I ever need. It’s an investment.

Maybe the Sig I got was a Lemon and my Bushnell was exceptional but I would buy the Bushnell every time based on my experience from those 2.

How much does ranging performance depend on having a good battery? Any anecdotal reports of this making a difference?