• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range in Tooele, Utah

TheBrewMaster

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2011
SLC, Utah
Does anyone here know of a good range near Tooele, Utah?

I have been looking online and I seen a couple 500 yard ranges about an hour away from Tooele, but I'm trying to find somewhere close to Tooele where I can shoot out to 1,000 - 1700 yards

Thanks in advance.

Re: Range in Tooele, Utah

There is a private range in Grantsville. It is a ranch...Bar..something.

We've trained there several times. We only shot out to 300 yards but I know they have ranges out to 1000.

I'll see if I can find the contact information for you.

Why do you need a range when you are practically surrounded by BLM land?

Yeah, go West on 80. Get off on the Delphi exit. Head north. Set up targets. Shoot as far as you want.

I'm new in town ( Just got here Yesterday) and I don't know the way of the land yet. I heard a lot of people go hiking and camping in the BLM and I don't want to wind up seeing the 5.0 my first week in town
eek.gif

Well as hard as I tried...

I got pulled over today...

I got out of a ticket...

And found out that Grantsville PD has a Range where they train snipers that goes out to over a mile.

When I get a chance I will stop by the station and see what kind of strings I can pull.

Tooele is close to some prime shooting. Just open Google Earth and find somewhere open that is close to where you live; it won't be difficult. Look specifically in the mountains above Tooele; your bullets will fly better there; that and I can see many good places to shoot out to 3000 yards in those mountains. I live in the Provo area and have several places to shoot from 100 yards to 3000 yards within a half hour of my house. I am sure finding a place to shoot won't be hard. Just keep in mind that if it doesn't say "No Trespassing," then you can shoot there. If somebody comes up to you and tells you that the land you are shooting on happens to be theirs, all they can do is ask you to leave. They cannot get you in trouble, though they may try.

I avoid ranges if possible. I hate the noise of others shooting, people hooting and hollering that they actually got on paper at 100 yards, and associated range fees. I find the mountains look much better, make the gun sound cooler, are free to shoot in, and afford me peace and quiet to test my handloads at extremely long distances. At first, I did the same as you; I looked for ranges that went to 1000+ yards and eventually decided that I liked the mountains way better. Heed my words, use the mountains and don't worry about people hiking and camping in the BLM land (BLM land is very big), just use your common sense.

Hope you enjoy Utah!

-Fernandez

Thanks Fernandez.

I noticed a few hiking trails above my soon to be new house in Erda. Next weekend I will have to check them out.

I also found this out...

The only authorized facility is the Lee Kay (Utah state owned and operated) range located on highway 201 (21st south and 5600 W) in Magna. Other than that I know of an informal location used for silhouette and other long range shooting (I believe upwards of at least 900 yards) located on the north end of the Stansbury mountain range west of Grantsville.
Take hwy 112 from Tooele west through Grantsville, past Walmart Distribution center to the last paved road on the left before you get to Interstate 80. Take that left and stay on it and it will take you past a lime pit into a “V” valley at the north end of the Stansbury range. There used to be a bench rest there, might even still be there. Anyway, other than out into the West desert, this is the only place out to that yardage that is convenient to us that I know of.

Tooele Gun Club is a trap facility only, but if you happen to have a shotgun, it’s a very friendly, fun place to shoot and since I was a competitive rifle shooter I can guarantee that you won’t catch any heat because of your leaning toward rifle’s so come up and give us a try.

Good Luck,
XXXXXXXXXX

The entire county of Tooele is one large shooting range, if it's good enough for the Air Force its good enough for you. Be careful up above Erda, I believe alot of that is private (Rio Tinto). Like Mustafa said, just head west, there are plenty of shooting scapes on the Rowley exit, Dell, clive, ect. just get off the road and set up your targets and shoot.

Friends dont let friends shoot at Lee Kay.

ETA: If you want somehwere closer, just head south out of town towards Stockton, there is the Gravel pit out there east of the highway, it's essentially an unofficial shooting area (as shown by the thousands of spent casings and garbage strewn acrossed the landscape by iresponsible assholes) be careful though as it is also frequented by many ATV's

Get on I-80 heading west. Get off on exit 77, and head south. (the exit is 77, 196S, or Skull Valley Rd)

Basically, you'll see this bigass rock out in the middle of nowhere. That is called "Lone Rock" and you can pretty much shoot as far as you can see from that rock, without hitting a damn thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get on I-80 heading west. Get off on exit 77, and head south. (the exit is 77, 196S, or Skull Valley Rd)

Basically, you'll see this bigass rock out in the middle of nowhere. That is called "Lone Rock" and you can pretty much shoot as far as you can see from that rock, without hitting a damn thing. </div></div>

That's where I end up shooting most of the time. Not super far from the city... Its even closer to you in Tooele. I can be tricky if there are a lot of people there, so I usually try and go out weekday mornings - its empty.

Set up on the rock somewhere and shoot out there to your heart's content!

I grew up out there in that area. Lone Rock or "Molly's Nipple" is a good place to start. Gotta get there early or the offroad crowd gets in the way of your targets. The wind likes to blow harder in the afternoon as well. You can shoot off the top of the rock out to as far as you dare. I have done it out to a mile with my .50 before someone showed up to investigate my target on ATV's. Good spot for learning wind speeds.

I have been out to that rock and there are just to many people around. I found a good place by Delle and I shoot as far as I want out there and don't have to worry about some guy on a ATV getting between my rifle and target.