• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report and Appreciation!

vballer7904

Private
Minuteman
May 30, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Ladies and Gentlemen-

First and foremost, I must thank you for your amazing wealth of information. I am new to the long range shooting world and also new to the Hide! In preparation for my first build, I stumbled upon this fine forum to which I give all the credit. I through together with help from everyone here, a:

Remington 700 5R Mil-Spec
EGW HD 1-Piece Base
Burris XCR 30mm Rings
SWFA SS 10x42 side parallax
Harris full tilt bipod
SKB Double Rifle Case to protect it all

[img:center]https://hputzg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p...my%205R%201.BMP[/img]

Sorry, had to take it on my kitchen counter. My apartments not too big.

Anyway, took her out today. Got it dialed in at 100 yards and started playing with some cheap (by cheap, I mean inexpensive) PMC 147gr. FMJBJ. Eventually when I get the opportunity/space to, I will begin to reload, and I will also run some of the loads that I have found on here!! (thanks!) At the end of the day, here is what she punched, it's a 10-round group:

[img:center]https://hputzg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p...Yrd%20Group.BMP[/img]

So, I just wanted to let everyone know how much you have helped and I appreciate it!

Thanks!

Re: Range Report and Appreciation!

You can't use a https (secure server) link without giving us all your login for Windows Live.

Upload the picture at www.imgur.com and use the code they provide. Quick, free, anonymous, and easy.

Let's try this again then:

Rifle-

V2kWP.png

Group-
Q6DnI.png

Hope this worked?!

It worked...

nice looking rifle. Try running something through it that isn't PMC...

generally 168Gr match of the Black hills, FGMM, or something similar and respected for accuracy.

Hell, even wal-mart's winchester 150gr soft tip hunting loads should shoot better than that PMC stuff. A friend of mine was able to hold MOA with the 150gr hunting ammo out of his 5R.

Congrats and don't get frustrated!
smile.gif

Very nice. I am on the hunt for a 5R right now and threads like these are killing me!

Did you zero your scope after shooting that?

The rule of thumb is 1 inch groups at 100 yards. The rifle seems to be shooting high, but grouping well. Try this:

Set your rifle on a stable platform. You should be able to look through the scope without touching the rifle. ensure that there is no parallax. If it is adjustable set it to the distance you are shooting, look at a target at that distance, and with out touching the rifle observe if the cross hairs are stable while moving your head (don't touch the rifle). If the cross hairs jump you need to adjust it out until they don't move.

Check your wind-age and elevation to ensure that you have the right dope on your rifle.

Ensure that you have a stable shooting position. Prone: body behind the rifle, legs spread, ankles turned inboard and flat on the ground. The rifle should extend from your shoulder in a straight line bisecting your body.

Take 15 seconds to breath and relax. Close and open your eyes. Can you see clearly through the scope (no scope shadow) and identify your target without moving around? If not adjust your position until you can see the target with minimal effort.

Load the rifle, breath, relax, and adjust your position in the same manner as before. Aim the rifle and gently apply pressure on the trigger while focusing on your target. When the round goes off what did your sight picture look like? Write it down and do this two more times.

Now you have a group. Adjust your scope and continue going through these steps until all three rounds are exactly where you want them to be on the target.

Shark-

Appreciate the help. Any pointers on shooting from a bench? The range I was at has them, and unfortunately, only a range to 200 yards. I'll have to drive to the desert and have long distance fun soon!!

There are a few considerations when shooting from a bench. You want to line up as much of your body behind the rifle as possible as this will help you to absorb recoil.

When shooting from a bi-pod on a hard surface the rifle will jump. This will effect follow on shots and may cause you to have to reset your position. Shooting from a sand bag or a pack will help. If shooting from a bi-pod you should load it by putting forward pressure on the rifle with your shoulder.

With any standard shooting position you want to ensure that the butt stock of the rifle is secure in the pocket of your shoulder.

There is a lot more information that will help you develop as a shooter but I think you will have a hard time trying to assimilate it all before applying a few key concepts in a practical scenario. Then again I could be wrong but that is my take on it.

understood completely! will take into consideration next range trip and i'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you once again. You're insight is much appreciated!

Nice looking rifle! Buy yourself some Federal Gold Medal Match ammo and give it a try.