• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report on New Precision Rifle

Flatbush Harry

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2011
Colorado
I posted two weeks ago that I had gotten a new rifle at Mile High Shooting Accessories of Erie, CO. Yesterday I finally sighted it in at 100 yards and tested a few of my match loads that I use in my former #1 precision rifle. The new rifle is:

Remington 700 5R with factory-applied Cerakote
AICS AX Chassis
NightForce C173 3-15x56 Scope
NightForce 20 MOA Picatinny Rail
NightForce Medium High (1.265") Rings

My sight-in load was Remington Premier Match with 168gr SMK bullets. My test groups were 5-shot groups with several different loads. The two groups shown below are my two best loads in my other rifle...they work pretty well in this one. The Reloder 15/Hornady A-MAX group measures 0.499" while the VV N550/SMK group measures 0.641". I'll be adjusting the trigger a little (it's an X-Mark Pro adjustable) to bring it down to about 2 lbs and tinkering with these loads a bit to see if I can get some improvement, but I'm a pretty happy camper right now. Also, I noted this in my initial thread, but I recommend Mile High very highly.

FH

AmmoTest2_zps61fcd366.jpg

AmmoTest1_zpsa3ae8090.jpg

can't complain about that even a little! nice work. So, your post says "...in my former #1 precision rifle."...officially replaced now?

can't complain about that even a little! nice work. So, your post says "...in my former #1 precision rifle."...officially replaced now?

Thanks. My "former #1 is a Rem 700 SPS-Varmint glass bedded in a B&C Medalist A5, wearing a Vortex Viper PST 6.5-24x50 FFP. It's nearly as good a shooter but I just love the new set-up. I'm looking forward to stretching both their legs to 600 and 1,000 yards but I think the new rifle will take over as my #1.

Regards,

Harry

Sweet. Is this the 5r with barrel flutes and black stock from the factory...I think its called the 'tactical' 5R?

Sweet. Is this the 5r with barrel flutes and black stock from the factory...I think its called the 'tactical' 5R?

Yes, it is. The stock appears to be a B&C M40 with bedding block and it was free-floated. I will be rebarreling a Rem 700 SPS SS down the road with a heavy barrel in either .260 Rem or 7mm-08 and bedding it in the stock.

Regards,

Harry

What brass did you use with that 168 AMAX? I get super good accuracy with lapua brass and 42grs RE15, 43grs with Win brass in my SPSS. Im talking .5moa or better out to 300yds for 5 shots.

What brass did you use with that 168 AMAX? I get super good accuracy with lapua brass and 42grs RE15, 43grs with Win brass in my SPSS. Im talking .5moa or better out to 300yds for 5 shots.

I used Hornady once-fired brass as well as some Federal once-fired brass. I have been very pleased with Hornady products, especially their A-MAX bullets. I have gotten great results with the A-MAXs, Sierra MatchKings and Nosler Custom Comps.

Regards,

Harry

I happened to stop up at Mile High this morning to pick up a few items and noticed some Hornady Superperformance .308 Win Match ammo with 178gr Match BTHP bullets. Just for grins, I grabbed a couple of boxes and stopped at the range on the way home to see if this barrel liked them. The pic below was my first group of 5; using "OnTarget", this group measured 0.441". I am impressed by this addition to Hornady's product line...indeed, I have some Hornady brass and 178gr A-MAXs. I'm going to develop a few ladders with RL15, VV N550 and will be trying to find some Hodgdon's Superperformance powder. I just hope I'm not going to have to stay with factory loads (LOL). BTW, between a muzzle velocity of 2,775 fps and 178gr bullet, compared to FGMM with 2650 fps MV and 168gr bullet, this load should do well at distance. I can hardly wait.

Scan131410001_zps38045365.jpg

Normally, I would say "It ain't the arrows, Tonto!" but I'll give props to Rem, AI, NightForce and Hornady for this outcome.

Cheers,

Harry

PS-this group is 1" low and 1" right because I didn't yet change my scope set from the RL15/A-MAX sight in Sunday.