• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rangefinder thoughts

plunker20

Bullet Lobber
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2012
Watertown SD
i am looking for a new rangefinder thats at least capable of 2000 off a reflective target and 14-1600 non reflective i found this laser industries g7 true pulse and it sounds all great and dandy just seeing if anyone has one or used one, and could give me some feedback on it
heres a hyperlink to one

GSeven BR2 Ballistic Rangefinder

Capable of 2K.. you need to be considering the Bushnell fusions or more appropriately, the Terrapin. for $1600 for the one your looking at, add another $200 and get the Terrapin and you'll be a happy, happy man.

everyone that ive talked to says there nice but ive never used one and a buddy has a 1600 bushnell and its ok and another buddy has a leica and thats even better just dont know what to do

It seems like there are a couple of manufacturers that have almost created the perfect RF - BR2, Leica 1600B, Terrapin, etc. They're all sooo close but I haven't seen one pull everything shooters need together. The BR2 is close, but it doesn't calculate in mils and only goes to 1400y. (Only 1400y. . . I've never shot anything that far, but I know lots of you have.) Even with the BR2 you still need a wind meter. To date, I think the best setup would be a Terrapin/Kestrel combo - the new Kestrel with the ballistic app in it. Here's what I think would rule the market if manufacturers could get it crammed into one package:

True 2000m capability
Selectable output in meters or yards
MIL or MOA ballistic tables out to 2000m
Full weather station
Incline/decline ballistic compensation
Fits in a pocket (1600b size)

The way I see it, until that happens we'll all still have to be running around with at least two or three pieces of gear: binos, Kestrel, rangefinder, ballistic app, etc.

It seems like there are a couple of manufacturers that have almost created the perfect RF - BR2, Leica 1600B, Terrapin, etc. They're all sooo close but I haven't seen one pull everything shooters need together. The BR2 is close, but it doesn't calculate in mils and only goes to 1400y. (Only 1400y. . . I've never shot anything that far, but I know lots of you have.) Even with the BR2 you still need a wind meter. To date, I think the best setup would be a Terrapin/Kestrel combo - the new Kestrel with the ballistic app in it. Here's what I think would rule the market if manufacturers could get it crammed into one package:

True 2000m capability
Selectable output in meters or yards
MIL or MOA ballistic tables out to 2000m
Full weather station
Incline/decline ballistic compensation
Fits in a pocket (1600b size)

The way I see it, until that happens we'll all still have to be running around with at least two or three pieces of gear: binos, Kestrel, rangefinder, ballistic app, etc.

Jon, This does exist, you just have to pay for it. Its not cheap to R&D or Manufacture

True 2000m capability - Terrapin
Selectable output in meters or yards - Most quality LRF's at this price point have this
MIL or MOA ballistic tables out to 2000m <- I dont want ballistic calculations inside my LRF. These should be stand alone in another system specifically designed for the purpose in my opinion.
Full weather station - Dont want this in the LRF. Too much crap in 1 place to go wrong. Once they have the capability at the right price to read wind via laser, then cool.
Incline/decline ballistic compensation - Most quality LRF's at this price point have inclination/declination. Again ballistic tables should be elsewhere IMO. At least this stage of the game.
Fits in a pocket (1600b size) <- Get a bigger pocket.

As a general rule, if its not a Vectronix it's not a range finder. It's that simple. If you want to range a water tower then maybe some of those others will work. I've never been able to shoot a water tower so I've always preferred a rangefinder that would range targets.

Capable of 2K.. you need to be considering the Bushnell fusions or more appropriately, the Terrapin. for $1600 for the one your looking at, add another $200 and get the Terrapin and you'll be a happy, happy man.

Where can a Terrapin be had for $1800?

fw707; is prgusa.net the same as prgdefense.com? Because prgdefense.com has the Terrapin for $1825 plus $20 shipping.

I am still debating on whether or not to get a binos and laser rangefinder combo like the Swarovski in meters, but that is around 3K. I have a Vortex Razor HD EBR-2B on both GAP Crusader and my GAP-10 and I would like to find something that would be a good fit. I like the dual function of the Swarovski.

Last edited: