• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rangefinders

defense1

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI. United States
Hello all,

Long time lurker, big time reader. I did some searching on rangefinders and didn't really come up with much. Are they something that is really not used all that much?

I've been considering a Leupold, Leica or perhaps a Zeiss but really don't know a whole lot about them. My local range in West Michigan is only 500yd but if I'm going to get one, I'd prefer to have something that will reach out further. (always wanted to throw some lead at prairie dogs.)

I'd appreciate any thoughts y'all had on the matter.
Paul

Re: Rangefinders

I can only speak for matches here in TX/OK area but only a couple have required a range finder. I came across a really good deal on a set of Bushnell Fusion bino's with built in rangefinder and I have been really impressed. Keep in mind they are not a Vectronix but they really work well.

Ive been real happy with my Nikon 1200 for what I do but it seems the latest and greatest is the Vectronix Terrapin...I would like to try one out after reading a couple reviews...But the Nikon is the only one I have experience with and has served me well

I bought a Leupold RX600 at my local Bass Pro Shop a couple years back. It's ok if you're only ranging stuff out to 400 yards, then it gets a little hard to pick anything up. Maxes out at 600ish. Black display can be hard to read depending on the light conditions and what you're ranging.

I bought a Leica 1200 to replace it. It's 10x better than the RX600 in function and display. It's quick and the red display is super easy to read in all light conditions. I read some threads on here that they had issues with the 1200 but I haven't had any issues with it yet. Based on some threads I read after buying the 1200, I would get the Leica 1600.

If you are going to invest a bit of money into a LRM stick with Leica, Ziess, or Swaro. Sure the Vectronics, but that is a whole other ball game.

I have a Leica and it functions great and the glass is clear and bright, it performs exactly as it is spec'd.

Unlike shopping for scopes, folks can go cheap and claim the glass is as good as "x" or "x". With the LRF, function is less subjective, they will either work or not. Last thing you want is to put money into a devise that does not function when you need it.

Also remember that most if not all LRF's will hit "hard" targets (buildings) out to max range, but will only hit "soft" targets(animals, dirt mounds, trees) to about 3/4 their range.

I recently purchased a VEctronics terrapin from someone on thsi site. I love it!! i also own a lecia 1200 and love it for short work. I was going to sell the later but decided to keep it, the mew lecia 1600 with cross hair and other features is also real nice for 700 dollars just my two cent worth!! We are only limited by money!

If your only shooting at ranges your likely not going to need one. They really come in handy for long shots over say 300 yards when you have unknown distances. Say long range hunting, or when you are target shooting at long range where you haven't placed targets (say shooting at rocks). For this purpose, LRF's are pretty difficult gear to beat. There really isn't any other option for determining distance a long range other than guessing which is often really hard at long range - especially if your after first shot hits.

There are lots of threads here on which range finders are good, and some above have mentioned a few.

Vectronix - Best but very expensive $1900 - $20,000
Leica and a bunch of others $700 - $1000 (I agree with most others that the Leica for under 1400 yards is pretty good)

If you want to combine devices, you can go with the G7 BR2 which has gotten pretty decent reviews for around $1500 good to 1400 yards, and combines environmental data and angle with a ballistics calculator (does temp, pressure etc).

People seem to like the fusions by Bushnell as well from what I remember as well as the Geovids

I am saving for a Vectronix Terrapin but I can shoot to really long distances on public lands, so I can stretch out my equipment. I have been borrowing my buddies Leica 1600 for hunting, and for shorter ranges, its good.

Paul Smith, you will want one that works, in this order I would pick the Terrapin, Swaro, Zeiss and Leica. Check out the used section for some great deals from time to time. I personally like the Zeiss PRF myself.

Thanks for the input folks, i'd been eyeing the Leica 1600 and while its expensive, everything worthwhile in our hobby ususally is.
Ultimately, I bought an ar10 in 260 and want to pick up a lrf that is capable of the guns range.
Time to start saving my pennys!

Thanks again,
Paul

Bushnell Fusion Arc 1600- I don't care what anyone says on here. They are bad ass! They are rangefinding binos
whatever you find to buy, check to see if SWFA.com carries them. If you find them cheaper somewhere, SWFA will beat their price by 10%.. even on shipping.

Got the Zeiss Victory about 6 months ago. It works very well - I'm impressed. It will reach out to 1200 Yds reliably on most targets. It does include some bullet drop tables but I can't really imagine using them except for an approximation.

Re: Rangefinders( Bushnell Fusion 10X42 bino LRF)

I bought a Bushnell 10X42 binocular LRF and am very happy with it.

Luckily there is new home construction nearby and I got a surveyor to check my distance accuracy with his laser theodolite. He was amazed that I was right on (minus just over a foot) at 1,210 meters in a light colored block wall.

Once you program in your ballistic group - there are 6 of them - it will give you your hold-under (or over) in inches, centimeters or MOA when shooting at an incline.

Excellent info guys, I'll be sure to have a look at all and the reviews as well. This is just a hobby for me, it sounds like the Vectronix is way out of my league. I'm a fan of Zeiss and will look into the Bushnell's too.
I was really sold on the Leica 1600 till I read about them no longer suppoting their 1200's. I don't know all the details but if they will do that to one line, I'm sure they would do it again. I don't want to drop $700 on a lrf only to have it be junk after a few years.

Ultimately, I want to do my homework here and buy something that will last.
Thanks again all

I've got the Bushnell Fusion 1600 ARC as well. I had a small issue, but the local rep on here took care of me. They're a nice piece of equipment and well worth the money. You can get them as low as $650 on ebay if you're patient enough to watch and wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spamassassain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got the Zeiss Victory about 6 months ago. It works very well - I'm impressed. It will reach out to 1200 Yds reliably on most targets. It does include some bullet drop tables but I can't really imagine using them except for an approximation. </div></div>

I back this up with my own experience. Have ranged hard targets to 1015 yds and soft targets (side of hill) to 600 yds. Glass is great quality too and it's weatherproof (although I haven't field tested that one).

Bushy 12-50 Fusion binos work great well past a grand. I have done it many times. So have many others...Check it out on good ol' Youtube...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Relentless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I also went with the Leica 1600.
no regrets.
relentless. </div></div>

x2 on the leica. i went this way and it was money well spent

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: climb-101</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Relentless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah I also went with the Leica 1600.
no regrets.
relentless. </div></div>

x2 on the leica. i went this way and it was money well spent </div></div>

+1 Great LRF in a small package, gives you temperature, station pressure and incline. Great piece of gear.

I've heard some people are able to range out to 1800 yards and further with the leica 1600. I'd like to get a range finder for the 1 mile range that won't brake my bank

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DTA73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Vectronix terrapin from Euro Optics. You will love it. </div></div> +1 I have a lupyRX1000.leica 1200, and vectronix. The vectronix is the only way to go. It's very much worth the extra money. You won't regret.

Bushnell elite 1600 are excellent for the price. On sale now on optic planet for just over $400 or price match that to swfa to get it even lower. My bushnell fusion binos are sweet and I ranged a stop light at 1126 out my back door. The elites have the same ranging capability they are just a monocular with 7x mag instead of binos at 10x.