• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rangefinders

bracyb

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2012
I am new to rangefinders and need some help in deciding which rangefinder to buy. It will be used mostly for deer hunting but also used for a little long range target shooting. I am a huge Vortex fan because of their warranty, so the two that I am looking at is a new Vortex Ranger 1000 and a used Leica crf 1200-y. I can get a used Leica for about $50 to $100 more than a new Vortex. Is the Leica much better or would I be better off buying the new Vortex? Thanks

Went through the same problem. I was stuck on vortex because I love their optics. But after tons of searching on here I found that wasn't the way to go. Most people will say leica. Or tell you to buy once cry onctand save for a vectronix. ..I'd look at Bushnell elite 1600. Just my 2 cents

The Leica is very fast and ranges animals (not just soft targets) out to 75% of max range. The numbers are small and bright enough and the unit is nice a compact and glass is excellent. If the Leica checks out fine, I would jump on it. I prefer the older style 1000, 1200, 1600 non-B models. Just because I dont like to pay an extra $200 or so for ballistic firmware I dont need.

As for Warranty, I know Vortex is top notch, but I dont know of any company (Leica included) that covers their electronics for more than 2 years.

What is the maximum distance that you would like to reliably range targets? That may guide your decision. On the surface I would steer you towards the Leica-they are exceptional products. However, I would urge a little caution with regard to buying used unless you have the ability to test the product yourself without fear of losing any $$$ (e.g. ebay). Many rangefinders at all price points can suffer from mechanical problems. I purchased a new Leica 1600 in 2011 and it wouldn't range past 500yds on any type of target. The retailer promptly exchanged it for a new one and all is well. In clear weather at low light (e.g. dawn/dusk) it exceeds its max stated range by 300+ yds. During periods of intense light, such as at midday, it consistently ranges targets at 75%+ its stated max performance. I have no experience with the Vortex rangefinders, but would strongly suspect that their range finders are "manupackaged" from another manufacturer for Vortex. Not that this is good or bad in itself, but maybe a point to consider, and it is just supposition on my part. Just because they make exceptional optics does not infer any particular expertise in laser rangefinder technology. That is absolutely not the case with Leica. As I said before though, depending on the distances you are working at, and your ability to evaluate the used Leica without risk of losing your money. I can also recommend the Bushnell 1500 and 1600 as reliable and affordable +1200 yd. devices. Or just buy the Vectronix, buy once cry once, ask me how I f@#%ing know... Regards, Walt

Save yourself a lot of heart ache and save up and buy a Vectronix Terrapin. These others will not do what you want to do. I have no affiliation with any of these companies but I have played the rangefinder game and if its not a Vectronix it's not a rangefinder.

Dustin

I use a Leica 1000 out to 1100 on 12 by 18 steel plates (in good light). No problems and the readings are exact (double checked with google earth). It consistently ranges for me out to 1,000 yards so if that's all the distance you're going it's not worth spending the extra cash on a Terrapin in my opinion; you can buy a lot of extra ammo for that amount of cash!

Bushnell elite 1600. Or leica BRF. I've used the Leica and it ranges over 1000 but it only gives drops to 800.

I have a Leica 1600 and it is a great range finder. I have not been able to get it to read 2K, but have had 1998/9 many times. These readings were against a sagebrush hillside in low light.

Save yourself a lot of heart ache and save up and buy a Vectronix Terrapin. These others will not do what you want to do. I have no affiliation with any of these companies but I have played the rangefinder game and if its not a Vectronix it's not a rangefinder.

Dustin

I agree that the terrapin is a great rangefinder and leagues better but it also depends at what ranges and the size of targets.

If you are going to use it mainly for hunting check out the Bushnell G-Force 1300 ARC, They work well and are tough and are a great all round LRF, But all of the one mentioned here are good But the Terrapin is at the Top of the Tree,

I am using the G-Force bt my next one will be the G7 BR2 or the Terrapin,

John

I have a Leica 1600 and it is a great range finder. I have not been able to get it to read 2K, but have had 1998/9 many times. These readings were against a sagebrush hillside in low light.

I was not able to range that far, but I'm sure with the right conditions I could.
I also feel like these make great binoculars for glassing as well. Not quite as good as the Vortex HDs I've used, but still good. This is one area where I think they beat out the Terrapin, you don't have to carry separate optics for glassing and ranging. To be fair, I've never used the Terrapin and maybe some people do glass with theirs. In which case disregard.)

Dustin

I would agree with Dustin.

If your going to use it for hunting inside of 500 yards, almost anything will do. Bushnell makes good rangefinders at a great price point. If your going to shoot long distance, and competitions - Vectronix Terrapin. I've ranged mountain sides in West Texas past 3,000 yards.

I have no experience with vortex. I had an older Leica 1200 LRF, it had great optics and did ok ranging out to about 900 yards. I now have a Zeiss PRF, to me the optics are better than my old Leica and I've ranged hillsides and tree rows past 1300. But, if you plan on ranging further, and can afford it, Terrapin is the way to go.

i love my newcon 2200 the glass isnt the best in the world but its fast accurate and ive ranged trees at 1500 repeatedly i had an arc1000 that wouldn't give me a reading at 500. But the vectronix is the best ive ever used

Leaving high level competition and combat aside
Why do you need to range that far for a cold bore hit? I use a GPS when I set up my targets and then Mil targets for the practice before getting a range. And if your hunting past 1000m's then your either an idiot or so good that you should get a Vectronix anyway.

Just Macca , I think your missing the point of a rangefinder , My experience with GPS is that its fine to within 20-30 yards which is no use for long range precision and that's assuming you have an option to mark an away point on the target . I can see no mention of the OP talking of cold bore hits or hunting past a 1000m so i'm confused with that part :confused:
Knowing how far a back stop is from your target or point of concern is helpful and having a unit that will range way beyond your target does that .

Terrapin for sure, NO EXCEPTIONS!! I have bought all the good brands and still have my lupy and Leica 1200. If your doing anything past 400 yds and want something you can really depend on the Vectronix is the only option.

CAUTION: A Vectronix WILL spoil you! It works very well.

Euro Optics did me right BTW!

Just Macca , I think your missing the point of a rangefinder , My experience with GPS is that its fine to within 20-30 yards which is no use for long range precision and that's assuming you have an option to mark an away point on the target . I can see no mention of the OP talking of cold bore hits or hunting past a 1000m so i'm confused with that part :confused:
Knowing how far a back stop is from your target or point of concern is helpful and having a unit that will range way beyond your target does that .

Fair enough, I'm just jealous because I'm broke. ;-)

vectronix is the way to go in the long run, but if it's not in your budget anytime soon then there are some decent ones out there for a good price. I recently purchased the Zeiss PRF 8x26 and it has done everything I've needed it too. ranged small targets and animals out to 1060 which is as far as I've tried. ranges larger objects out to 1500.