• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rangefinders

Re: Rangefinders

Is there a requirement that we must have at least one of these threads a week or something? I mean really LRF threads pop-up at lease that frequently.

As for your question I like Zeiss. Mine has served me well and didn't cost an arm and leg.

I would check out the new LEICA 1600. I have one on order and am dying to get it. They have had outstanding reviews.

If anyone knows of anywhere that has the 1600 in stock, please PM me.

Thanks

It depends on your application for the LRF. Hunting, competition (e.g., LR Tac matches)...?
And my opinion is your price range is a couple of hundred too low, i.e., the incremental bang for you buck rises considerably if you get up to the $650-700ish range.

At the edge or just above that price range, my short list would be:
Monocular-style: Zeiss Victory LRF -- I do own one of these and have been happy with it. Clear, bright, fast, and get out to over a 1000 yds with no problem. I think you can find them in the $600 range with some work.

Binocular-style: the new Busnell Fusion 1600 ARC would be high on my list but it's getting well above your price point.
After using a monocular style LRF for a year of LR Tactical competition, I can say I would like a bino/LRF combo. There's enough glass time at those matches when you're spotting for others where the mono LRF gets tiresome. And carrying good binos and a LRF is a pain, imo.

If I had unlimited funds, I would have the Leica Geovids or Zeiss Victory Binos. You won't find those used in your price range.
Intersting article: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=310520

I like my Nikon 800s. They work reliably to about 550 yards...further than I ever plan on shooting game. Think you'll have to spend a lot more than $300 to go past 600 yards or so.

I see no mention of the Leupold. Pretty good range (1500) for the price. Anybody have one?

I just picked up leupold rx1000tbr. They are priced between 300-400. so far we like them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a requirement that we must have at least one of these threads a week or something? I mean really LRF threads pop-up at lease that frequently.</div></div>Next question will be, "Do you keep yours in a Pelican or Storm case, and how did you cut your foam for it?"
grin.gif

Loco Horse - Scoop yourself up one of the Leicas that pop up in the FS section...they appear regularly and are good for the money...or hold out and get a Swarovski, they can be had for 700 bucks if you have some patience.

I've had a Nikon Buckmaster 400 for several years and it'll range out to 500 on a good target.
I bought a new Leica CRF 1200 a couple of months ago, and it'll go past 1300 on a good target.
The Nikon is well within your price range, and I see used Leicas for around $500 occasionally.

First rangefinder I ever had was a Bushnell, and it went back real quick.

I've one of the older, 7X box Leica's I bought new. It is fine to 1300 yds until fog/rain sets in. I've ran mine beside a used 1200yd Swarovski and mine sucked. Then again my shooting Partner bought a New 1600 yd Swarovski and it will not keep up with Mine. I've seen used one's all over the price ranges.

I'm now a fan of used,... if I can try it first.

K2peaker is right on with the bushnell fusion 1600. I've been using one with awesome results. The LRF is right on and the glass is clear enough that I can spot trace from 7.62 to at least 400 meters. It is a little more pricey but it also takes the place of 2 items. still trying to find a place for it on my kit though.

My problem with Bushnell is that I go through a pair of their binoculars at least annually. I need them for work and the slightest little bump breaks them. Granted they're the Wal-Mart versions but I'm on my 4th pair in 3 years.

I'll swap you my vector iv for a decent m4forgery. That's a $1000 rifle for a $10000 rangefinder.

Of course, you need to get the rifle thru Australian customs
smile.gif

I just picked up a Bushnell Elite 1500 tonight that was brand new for $250. Ranges to 1500 on reflective targets, and 1,000 on everything else. I haven't played with mine yet, however another shooter had one that turned me onto it. I have a Yardage pro 1000 that was nice, however getting a range off my 12x18" steel past 700 was a tricky if not impossible ordeal. Upgraded a piece of my kit and i'll be selling the old one. I've ranged large things upwards of 1100 yards with the yardage pro, depending on how far you want to shoot, it would serve you just fine. If you search well, and shop with patience on egay and craigslist, you'll find a deal like I got.

Branden