• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ranger Finders Past 1000?

PLX65

Professional Rookie
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2018
Akron
I am looking to purchase a rangefinder ,do I need one measures past 1000 yards?

That depends? For the money the sig Kilo 2200 and the new nikon's are going to be good sub $500 range. I have a Kilo 2400 and I'm also considering a nikon 3000 image stabilized or the 4000 Y model? The new Terrapin X has peaked my interest, thats in the $2k range.

The rule of thumb's are, cut in half what they promise as the farthest range and you usually pay a $1 per yard for a reliable LRF.

Some steel and some furry. I am looking at the vortex 1000 and the 1500. I also like the sig 2000 but do not like that I have to purchase a separate mount for a tripod.

Some steel and some furry. I am looking at the vortex 1000 and the 1500. I also like the sig 2000 but do not like that I have to purchase a separate mount for a tripod.
Forget the sig2000 it has had too many issues, The sig 2200 would be better or the Bushnell ConX if you want to be able to Bluetooth it to Apps and it is a highly fool proof system and then there is quite a jump in price to the sig2400 which, not too sure about the new Nikon yes it has the range but as of yet it is unproven. If money was not a problem then I would be looking at the new BR2500 and then the TerrapinX.

John.

keep in mind the non-reflective targets will cut your ranging limits in half if not more depending on weather conditions. the Ranger 1000 will range deer out to 500 yards and the Ranger 1500 out to 750 yards. the new ranger 1800 will get hit a deer out to 900 yards according to Vortex.

Thanks for all the info. I ordered the Sig Kilo 2000 and the mount.

I'm debating on the Sig 2200 and the CONX as well. I ordered the CONX because right now Brownells has it on sale with a discount code I had total came to $289 shipped. I may purchase the Sig also and just compare the two myself but the I really want to try the ballistics bluetooth/app of the CONX.
The sig will range a bit further on a good day but the ConX has at leased 6 ways that you can use it with any of the 10 pre programmed ballistic curves to choose from plus 3 custom Gun modes and the AB mode which allows you to link it to the Kestrel Sportsman/Ballistic and the Elite 5700AB and the regular mode and the Rifle HD mode, so that is 16 choices in total, and then there is a couple of other ways to use it as well.

John.

Reactions: Night King
The ability to link it to a Kestrel was another big selling point for me. I shoot at a lot of unknown distances and really want to see if this combo will improve my first round hits.
Did you not see that video where they got 4 or 5 hunters load and shoot targets and all of them missed and then they gave them all the ConX combo and made sure that they all used the same scope and everyone one of them hit the targets within half inch to an inch of each other ?

Reactions: Bender
Thanks! I'm pretty pumped to try it out.

MilDot1960, do you work for Bushnell or something? I see all over this forum you're a really big advocate for this thing

No I don't work for them or any store, It's just that I found something that will turn a beginner in to a skilled marksman and put them in to the top 80/90% of shooters and not to mention that some folks depend on their rifle for food out in the bush, being able to make the shot with limited time to spare in Winter Time is the difference between feeding their families or going hungry.

It's good to hear you think so highly of this product from a user standpoint. I think I'm going to like it!
Well after using a vertical type LRF did cause me some grief when it came to aiming the thing because you use it like a pair of binos but after 2 or 3 days I had it worked out, I have hit things out to 1677yds and more just using it hand held and then winter came so I never got a chance to see what it will do off a tripod,

I just tested my ConX out in Heavy Snow with flakes about an inch across and the temp was -3.9* and I managed to range a roof top that cant be seen in the pictures or with the naked eye at 176.6 yards to the left of the street light in the darkest picture. SN 5.

Attachments

• SN1.jpg
    SN1.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 36
  • SN2.jpg
    SN2.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 34
  • SN3.jpg
    SN3.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 35
  • SN4.jpg
    SN4.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 38
  • SN5.jpg
    SN5.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 32
A buddy just told me that Nikon's MONARCH 3000 Stabilized rangefinder has hit Scheel's and will be in other store's within 2 weeks. I had the chance to check this stabilized rangfinder out at SHOT Show and it is the real deal. I have used the 7iVR, Nikon's first stabilized rangefinder the last 2 years and the new one is much nicer.

A buddy just told me that Nikon's MONARCH 3000 Stabilized rangefinder has hit Scheel's and will be in other store's within 2 weeks. I had the chance to check this stabilized rangfinder out at SHOT Show and it is the real deal. I have used the 7iVR, Nikon's first stabilized rangefinder the last 2 years and the new one is much nicer.
Yeah I think we are going to see some really great Tech emerge from these companies from now on, with Bluetooth and Image stabilization etc, Great times ahead.

Last edited:
Kilo 2000 here...quite happy with it for my first rangefinder..easy to use and reaches out a long way..only addition to it was the bipod mount for it..some of those longer ditances are hard to hold steady for me.

I'm debating on the Sig 2200 and the CONX as well. I ordered the CONX because right now Brownells has it on sale with a discount code I had total came to $289 shipped. I may purchase the Sig also and just compare the two myself but the I really want to try the ballistics bluetooth/app of the CONX.
I looked at Brownell’s and the CONX is listed at $699. What sale and discount code, or combination of them, did you use to get a $699 rangefinder down to $289, shipped?

My own needs are for something that will range easily in most conditions bar a thunder rain storm to at least 1100 yards or more - I have just secured the ability to shoot that distance on a fantastic farm 1.5 hours from my home.I milled a goat on the edge of the farm at 989 yards -and missed! There was one reason for a long distance LRF -- the other for me is setting up gongs at the 1k distance and having a precise yardage to feed the PDA.It isnt hard to see that Swarovski kicks butt followed averagely by lieca as far as I can make out ---hence searching and seeing other long distance solutions like THE Newcon 2000 which says it can get to 2k?? can it as its not a bad price if it can - an unknown unit to me though -as far as dollars to spend , well that depends on what sells me and what it costs after Ive done decent research about what is available --SCB6 is this Newcon a brand you have an in depth knowledge off , if so please advise me .cheers

Glad someone else found it funny.

I am still holing out hope for Nikon to put their new laser in their binoculars. I think that would be just the ticket.

Reactions: MilDot1960
Glad someone else found it funny.

I am still holing out hope for Nikon to put their new laser in their binoculars. I think that would be just the ticket.
Yeah and a basic Ret that can work as backup also be used for measuring things once the distance is known, and a compass with adjustable DEC so it was not limited to just one part of the world, that would be a hoot. (y)

Digging my CONX with kestrel combo. Off a tripod I was ranging cows on the skyline at 1000 and on the hillside to 1700. Offhand in a 10-15mph wind it was difficult staying on target at 600+ yds but a huge upgrade to my old rangefinder that couldn’t get consistent returns over 700

Bought a Bushnell elite conx from Brownells last week 289.00 out the door with promo code LDD was 299.00. Hope this helps also talks to the new Kestrel 5700 Ballistics with link bought one of those as well from kestrel 399.00 total for both was 689.00 and you're smacking targets way out their. Good luck

Bought a Bushnell elite conx from Brownells last week 289.00 out the door with promo code LDD was 299.00. Hope this helps also talks to the new Kestrel 5700 Ballistics with link bought one of those as well from kestrel 399.00 total for both was 689.00 and you're smacking targets way out their. Good luck
I looked at Brownell’s and the CONX is listed at $699. What sale and discount code, or combination of them, did you use to get a $699 rangefinder down to $289, shipped?
Just went to Brownells site 299.00 https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rangefinders/elite-1-mile-conx-rangefinder-prod107245.aspx

Saved 100.00 on buying individual items over buying the Bushnell elite 1 mile combo that's selling now for 799.00 and is no longer being made so what's out their is it. Cabelas also has the bushnell conx around 299.00 as well. Jack

Reactions: Night King
Digging my CONX with kestrel combo. Off a tripod I was ranging cows on the skyline at 1000 and on the hillside to 1700. Offhand in a 10-15mph wind it was difficult staying on target at 600+ yds but a huge upgrade to my old rangefinder that couldn’t get consistent returns over 700
Cool well done, that's what I was saying that it ranges animals way past 600yds as claimed on their site, A 1000 and 1700 on a hill is awesome for a non reflective target. Learning to aim an LRF is not as easy as some make out in strong winds unless you are laying down but you will find it easier as you get use to it, let us know what you manage to range with it over the next couple of weeks,

john.

My Bushnell should be here within the hour by rural carrier lots to range here on the farm to make easy work of smacking yotes....... it's like Christmas 1 week before my birthday ohhh the simple things.

My Bushnell should be here within the hour by rural carrier lots to range here on the farm to make easy work of smacking yotes....... it's like Christmas 1 week before my birthday ohhh the simple things.
Well 20 minutes ago you were logged in, So I guess it has turned up and your out Zapping the neighbourhood, let us know how you get on and we'll catch up with ya when the dust settles, lol. (y)

Saved 100.00 on buying individual items over buying the Bushnell elite 1 mile combo that's selling now for 799.00 and is no longer being made so what's out their is it. Cabelas also has the bushnell conx around 299.00 as well. Jack
I don't where or who said its not being made anymore but both options are still for sale on Bushnells web site, I think it is more of a case of stores not stocking the single item because there is more profit in selling the Combo.

ConX only,
http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/laser-rangefinders/elite-1-mile-conx

ConX Kestrel Combo,
http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/laser-rangefinders/elite-1-mile-conx-combo

eurooptic are selling the Combo for $999.00 and state that they are on back order because they have run out.
https://www.eurooptic.com/BU-202540KC-Bushnell-Elite-1-Mile-CONX-Combo-with-Kestrel-20.aspx

Bushnell elite 1 mile arrived and ranged a doe taking a leak @ 530 yards so far all is good. Now if my new Kestrel would ship I'd be a happy mother fucker. That's exactly what I was doing ranging shit and reading the booklet. ..

Kest
I don't where or who said its not being made anymore but both options are still for sale on Bushnells web site, I think it is more of a case of stores not stocking the single item because there is more profit in selling the Combo.

ConX only,

ConX Kestrel Combo,
http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/laser-rangefinders/elite-1-mile-con
according to the kest

ConX only,

ConX Kestrel Combo,
http://www.bushnell.com/tactical/laser-rangefinders/elite-1-mile-conx-combo

eurooptic are selling the Combo for $999.00 and state that they are on back order because they have run out.
https://www.eurooptic.com/BU-202540KC-Bushnell-Elite-1-Mile-CONX-Combo-with-Kestrel-20.aspx
Kestrel Web site has no listing for the combo anymore any left on shelves and suppliers is all she wrote for the combo kit.. the bushnell is at rock-bottom blowout price kestral is out of their supply. The sportsman is no Mas as well. I'd like to see a combo with the new 5700 BALLISTICS/Bushnell they would do well for newbies like me and tharthar why I jumped on it didn't need the big $$ stuff it would be wasted on me.jack

Bushnell elite 1 mile arrived and ranged a doe taking a leak @ 530 yards so far all is good. Now if my new Kestrel would ship I'd be a happy mother fucker. That's exactly what I was doing ranging shit and reading the booklet. ..
Lol, yeah I did the same,

disgusting ranging a Lady while she is in the powder room, No shame, no shame (y)

Just worked out that way Lmao she was in the same spot I saw 2 yotes this morning walking in their footsteps.

Just worked out that way Lmao she was in the same spot I saw 2 yotes this morning walking in their footsteps.
Yeah, Some women are shameless,

Seriously though that has to be a good omen that the first critter you range is a Deer, Good things to come I think. have fun.

John.

Ya know the Military bought 20,000 Elite 1 Mile RF's to be used with their Mk 19 40mm grenade launchers and mortars, So they must be good aye.

It looks like it getting hard to find just the Conx alone for $300. Brownells has it listed as “No longer deliverable by the Factory”

FWIW I have a Leica 1600 that has yet to fail me. Very accurate on deer sized objects out to 1400...larger objects out to 1720 that I have been able to range. Being steady and the lighting has a lot to do with a LRF being worthy from my experiences.

No I don't work for them or any store, It's just that I found something that will turn a beginner in to a skilled marksman and put them in to the top 80/90% of shooters and not to mention that some folks depend on their rifle for food out in the bush, being able to make the shot with limited time to spare in Winter Time is the difference between feeding their families or going hungry.
A range finder is exactly what I'd buy if my family was hungry.

Reactions: Bulldog10
I bought a combo on sale last year, I think it was $689 or something, very reasonable for Kestrel and LRF.

I was able to range with it out past 1,000 yards but it is almost impossible to hold it off hand to hit a man sized target and get a range at that distance.

Using a tripod made 1,000+ much easier.

For hunting, you've got to be real confident in your ability to hit to take an ethical shot much further than 500 yards (not counting varmints and nuisance animals). I think it can range that distance off hand without too much trouble.

If Nikon can make a stabilized LRF that can range off hand past 1,000 yards and integrate with a Kestrel, I might have to upgrade.