• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ranges around Tampa florida

Krob95

Black Multicam Master Race
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2019
    NoCo
    Other than JTAC, what are some good ranges with out fudd rules in the Tampa area. Within an hour and a half in any direction. My brother got his first precision rifle and I'm flying out with my rifle end of January to do some shooting with him. Any ideas would be great, thank you!

Other than JTAC, what are some good ranges with out fudd rules in the Tampa area. Within an hour and a half in any direction. My brother got his first precision rifle and I'm flying out with my rifle end of January to do some shooting with him. Any ideas would be great, thank you!
    Manatee used to be decent, 600 yds. was 1k before they had to shorten it cuz dudes with bmg’s were shooting at 1 k with no zero and no dope, just splashing rounds at 300 and walking it on target and rounds were leaving the range

Manatee used to be decent, 600 yds. was 1k before they had to shorten it cuz dudes with bmg’s were shooting at 1 k with no zero and no dope, just splashing rounds at 300 and walking it on target and rounds were leaving the range
    Yea that place used to be great back in the 1k days. As usual, idiots ruin everything. 😞

Tagging in to see what other options exist these days besides JTAC.

I think @lash shoots at Volusia, but that’s way on the other side of the state.

In Bradford, which is a bit North, they have a ~900 yard range but you have to qual to shoot on it.

Reactions: lash

If you're looking for long range like 1k plus, it's pretty limited.

Depending on which area of Tampa you're in, travel times can vary quite a bit.

Otherwise, as mentioned you have Manatee which is an hour and fifteen minutes south of Tampa area. It got very Fuddish because of the ROs, and I haven't been there in years.

Shoot Straight in various locations has 100yd indoors.

Shooter's World, one location has 100 indoors.

Fishawk Sporting Clays has a 100 yd rifle range, plus pistol and SC.

Shoot Shack is south of Lithia on Hwy 39.
    Privately owned and limited to just under 300 yards.
    The 300 is available if the cows aren't invading the range...😡
    Haven't been there since JTAC opened.

Saddle Creek on the east side of Lakeland. 100yds.

Tenoroc is between Lakeland and Mouse country. It's limited to 100yds unless they made changes since the last time I went there.

Ares Training Facility near Whorelando is private and from what I'm told only members can shoot long range.

Tradecraft is over two hours south. 2 miles available.

JTAC is 40 minutes or less. You must be with a member that has access to long range areas, but that's the only real restriction. 2k available.

Going west, you have Wyoming Antelope Club which is limited to 200 IIRC.

Going further west you need a boat... 😂

If you want to dig in, use Google search and type in "shooting ranges in Florida".
    I tried to link it for you, but the copied link included a bunch of unnecessary text.

I seriously need to check out JTAC one of these days. It’s a drive from here, but it looks too dang good.

Otherwise, as mentioned you have Manatee which is an hour and fifteen minutes south of Tampa area. It got very Fuddish because of the ROs, and I haven't been there in years.

Tenoroc is between Lakeland and Mouse country. It's limited to 100yds unless they made changes since the last time I went there.

Ares Training Facility near Whorelando is private and from what I'm told only members can shoot long range.

JTAC is 40 minutes or less. You must be with a member that has access to long range areas, but that's the only real restriction. 2k available.

If you want to dig in, use Google search and type in "shooting ranges in Florida".
    I tried to link it for you, but the copied link included a bunch of unnecessary text.
    Unfortunately, Wyoming Antelope Club is only 100 yards.

• Haha
    I seriously need to check out JTAC one of these days. It’s a drive from here, but it looks too dang good.
    now that it has been open a little over a year I can say at least for what my needs are it is really fantastic. Met so many great folks. JTAC recently put up a couple of hanging 6 inch and 10 inch targets at half a mile boy are those quite the challenge when the wind spins up we have a hoot.

Reactions: lash and oneshot86
    i never had any problems with any of the ROs, as long as you don’t do anything that’s unsafe it’s an ok place to shoot.
    I went twice back in the 2010 era (I think) and it was one of those “no shots closer together than 5 seconds, no holster draws, etc.” After that would just go to the St Pete police pistol range and manatee. Both were great places back then. I’m excited to check out JTAC though….one of these days. Definitely seems worth the membership if you’re anywhere near that part of FL.

now that it has been open a little over a year I can say at least for what my needs are it is really fantastic. Met so many great folks. JTAC recently put up a couple of hanging 6 inch and 10 inch targets at half a mile boy are those quite the challenge when the wind spins up we have a hoot.
    I'll come visit you badasses there soon

I went twice back in the 2010 era (I think) and it was one of those “no shots closer together than 5 seconds, no holster draws, etc.” After that would just go to the St Pete police pistol range and manatee. Both were great places back then. I’m excited to check out JTAC though….one of these days. Definitely seems worth the membership if you’re anywhere near that part of FL.

I'm less than 20 minutes from there, so if you end up in this area again, lemme know.

Reactions: M8541Reaper

Tenoroc has very lackadaisical ROs. Saddle Creek, meh. I finally found a private range that meets my needs.

There is a PRS club in Mulberry (GCP Rifle Club). I know nothing other than they host matches. Thirty or so miles east of Tampa...depending on where you start.

Reactions: Krob95
    Tenoroc has very lackadaisical ROs. Saddle Creek, meh. I finally found a private range that meets my needs.

There is a PRS club in Mulberry (GCP Rifle Club). I know nothing other than they host matches. Thirty or so miles east of Tampa...depending on where you start.

That's actually JTAC.
    Rick Scrivens (Owner of GCP rifles) runs the matches at JTAC.
    He's actually located down Sarasota way.

I think I’m gonna have to see if I can’t get with some of you Tampa hiders and make the drive down to see it/shoot. I have a 6.5 Creed being built now ans would love to see how she shoots at long range. Finally stepping away from the old 308.

Honestly, though I’m a member at Volusia and their range generally is excellent, especially for action shooting and the various pistol sports, their long range is still not at the level it should be to be convenient for regular practice. Even as a member, they charge too much for a session that must be scheduled ahead of time.

We do run both PRS centerfire and NRL22 long range matches there that are accessible to the public, but they really need to consider attracting more regular long range shooters through better availability.

So, I travel down to JTAC and pay the $50 guest fee when I want to practice or just hang with the scoundrels that they let shoot there. 😎

I think you should. I'm a Precision member at JTAC and I love it. I have met several people including @Mike Casselton and @8pointer. They have been a phenomenal help. And, even though it's 1hr from where I live, it's worth the trek, especially with my "transportation challenges" as Mike will testify.

Otherwise, if all you need is 25 or 100yds, I'd go with Shooter's World, Tampa.

I think you should. I'm a Precision member at JTAC and I love it. I have met several people including @Mike Casselton and @8pointer. They have been a phenomenal help. And, even though it's 1hr from where I live, it's worth the trek, especially with my "transportation challenges" as Mike will testify.

I’m definitely gonna try to make it happen. I’m up I’m Jax but if I can scoot away from momma and the twins for a day I’d love to give the place a look.

I’m definitely gonna try to make it happen. I’m up I’m Jax but if I can scoot away from momma and the twins for a day I’d love to give the place a look.

Since you're in J-Ville, Arena in Blakely, GA might also be worth a look.
    I think the drive time might be very close.
    @Northfl could tell you for sure since he's in your AO.

Honestly, though I’m a member at Volusia and their range generally is excellent, especially for action shooting and the various pistol sports, their long range is still not at the level it should be to be convenient for regular practice. Even as a member, they charge too much for a session that must be scheduled ahead of time.

We do run both PRS centerfire and NRL22 long range matches there that are accessible to the public, but they really need to consider attracting more regular long range shooters through better availability.

So, I travel down to JTAC and pay the $50 guest fee when I want to practice or just hang with the scoundrels that they let shoot there. 😎

Noticed the first time I went the rifle range seems, well, lacking (not that I can lay behind a rifle these days). It it very well suited for USPSA/IDPA and ICORE. Meeting a buch of friends from the panhandle there for the sectional next Saturday.

Since you're in J-Ville, Arena in Blakely, GA might also be worth a look.
    I think the drive time might be very close.
    @Northfl could tell you for sure since he's in your AO.

I've never visited, but a friend was helping run XTC and I believe LR there (AIM Rifle Club, IIRC) He has the electronic scoring system that is really cool. I tried it on Hurlburt a couple times. I was surprised by the accuracy. That was 600. Never saw it used beyond.

We shot the electronic system that Theis had set up at 1k for the Hoplite rifles at the PRE.

Very nice and super easy to see group size and location on the target.
    The winds on that Saturday were like 18-20 mph and those rifles just shot right through the conditions.

Reactions: oneshot86 and lash
    Noticed the first time I went the rifle range seems, well, lacking (not that I can lay behind a rifle these days). It it very well suited for USPSA/IDPA and ICORE. Meeting a buch of friends from the panhandle there for the sectional next Saturday.
    Right. Now there is a long range to 900y behind everything else, but it is really limited in access. Both due to cost and to actual road accessibility. They are working for permits to build a road for better accessibility, so perhaps once that’s done there can be other improvements.

Reactions: EddieNFL
    Right. Now there is a long range to 900y behind everything else, but it is really limited in access. Both due to cost and to actual road accessibility. They are working for permits to build a road for better accessibility, so perhaps once that’s done there can be other improvements.

Lots of water can't help.

Jtac is a little closer to jax depending on the i4 corridor traffic.
    Roughly 3.5 hrs one way
    Arena is right at 4 hour drive from jax. But can rent a cabin there right at the range. Check the website for stuff they have going on
    Also up in ga is cool acres sporting camp. They do prs, benchrest and fclass matches. Search the web for them and events. About 3 hours from jax.
    Then of course there is lash’s stomping grounds in volusia. Quick day trip from jax as well

I just ran across this thread and echo what Fx51LP308. I am a remote precision member at JTAC. It is a very nice range. I have about an hour and a half drive to get there but it is worth it. I also go to Manatee Gun club which is also a good range but for precision rifle it is not on the level of JTAC.

Jtac is closed permanently.

i'm from tampa. it is a metastatic abortion. can't conceive of moving back there. it is a big drive but lecanto has 600yd. hernando sportsman club has 100 or 200? never shot there. have been told it is saftey nazi central. lecanto is on the edge of that. am thinking manatee is closest bet.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
    The 200 range at Hernando is open ONLY the 3rd Saturday of the month unless for a league or some other event. They are rather safety conscious there, but there is a reason for that. They do shoot a modified F-class I hear at 200.

I heard there’s a new range coming and the cost to access it is going to be in Flips