• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ranging Reticle Spotter Help

DriftinG Z32

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2008
San Francisco / Cavite City
I'm in the market for new upgraded spotter with a ranging reticle. Spotter will be used primarily for matches and long distance plinking (1200 yards and in). Within my budget I'm looking at the Bushnell Elite Tactical Elite LMSS 8-40x60 w/ Horus H32 reticle and the Leupold Mark 4 12-40x60 w/ TMR or Inverted H-32 reticle. With respect to glass and build quality has anyone compared these two spotters side by side?

I have a Mark 4 and I’m happy with it. 12-40 is a little underpowered for paper, but it is great on steel. I’ve spotted hits at 1000 yards with a 6.5, would think you could go further with a 30 cal or 338.

I've got the Mark 4 12-40 with inverted H-32 and love it. Very precise for shot adjustment. Only issue is your tripod needs an adapter to invert . There are several options to accomplish the setup.

I have the Leupold Mark 4 12-40 with TMR reticle, and have used it for milling (ranging/measuring shots). Glass clarity is excellent, and its pretty easy to use. For milling I personally prefer the TMR reticle as it is easy to measure targets and less cluttered than the Horus. Several long range instructors I know all recommend the TMR.

Also I highly recommend a high quality tripod with either a good geared or fluid head. If you put it on a cheap tripod you will find it very difficult to mill anything and also it becomes easy to accidentally move the scope when adjusting it.

Reactions: DriftinG Z32
Just picked up a Sightmark Tactical 15-45x with FFP Mil hash reticle for use as a backup, and just bc I wanted to check it out. Compared with my leupy mk4, it’s very close to clarity and quality. Price was 1/4 of what a mk4 spotter is.
We used it recently out to 800y, able to call misses, was easily able to see 6mm bullet trace and hits on steel. Side by side with my mk4 and my buddies Bushnell T series, it’s very impressive for the cost. Also has no questions asked warranty, comes with decent scope cover, and has rail to mount a co witness LRF on top.

All of the professionals and instructors I know recommend the Leupold Mark IV 12-40x60mm. Its expensive but it is accurate - when I mill off of it and compare it to a Nightforce Mil-C reticle at high power the results are identical.

One also recommended the Manfrotto geared Jr tripod head, which I've been playing with. The geared head fits onto any good quality photo tripod and lets you make very fine adjustments in three axis. I've found it great for milling so far, as its hard to get the reticle to stay on the target using a ball or even a fluid tripod head. With the geared head you can dial it in accurately. Benro makes a similar geared head, which rates favorably as well and is just a bit cheaper.