• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ranging reticle with BDC for .223?

UserM4

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
Orange County, CA
Are there any scopes that you can range with AND has a BDC for .223? Sort've like an ACOG with a 19MOA chevron and matching stadia lines at 100yd increments? TIA fellas.

Re: Ranging reticle with BDC for .223?

The downside to the BDC reticle is that it is designed for a specific load, rifle, and condition. More often than not, you will find the BDC wont match your rifle/loads trajectory.

Your best bet is to purchase a scope with a reticle you can range with, you can use the reticle for holdovers or dial from your turrets. Many ballistic programs will give you all the required info once you can determine velocity.

If you are set on a BDC scope, I have used the ACOGs as well as the IOR Valdada 4x24 M2, both work well assuming you can handload to match the specific velocity that matches the BDC.

Kirk R

Hey Scott, that's exactly what my bud is looking for but so totally out of his budget.
frown.gif

I just got the leatherwood cmr which has a retcle that has bdc marks out to 800 meters if I remember correctly. seems to be a solid scope so far but I haven't had a chance to see how accurate the reticle is. It has horizonal hash marks in mils for ranging.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griff01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got the leatherwood cmr which has a retcle that has bdc marks out to 800 meters if I remember correctly. seems to be a solid scope so far but I haven't had a chance to see how accurate the reticle is. It has horizonal hash marks in mils for ranging.</div></div>

That's pretty cool! And the price is more than right. But I've got a question on the reticle. Are the hold over stadia lines consistent to the 5 MIL circle?

cmrreticlenotes.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UserM4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any scopes that you can range with AND has a BDC for .223? Sort've like an ACOG with a 19MOA chevron and matching stadia lines at 100yd increments? TIA fellas. </div></div>

Any reticle with more than one stadia point in it can be used for both downrange zeroing and rangefinding. Look here under Item C) Reticle Rangefinding--

www.ottllc.com/specialtypistols/sp20.pdf

My ACOG TA-33R8 works well for hold-overs, but at the longer distances, you need to adjust for your load and altitude, etc. For example. Shooting Black Hills 77-gr Match at a 18x20 steel plate 750-yards (688-meters) out, I need to place the 600-meter hash mark at the lower edge of the target for a center mass hit. Keep in mind, the scope is calibrated for the 62-gr NATO bullet (most likely at sea level?), and I'm shooting between 7000 and 8000-ft elevation.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_drift-5.1.cgi
Take a mil dot reticle from any manufacturer and use that for known distance hold over like a BDC. The way to do that is to run a balistics chart in MIL rather than having your drop in inches or MOA. Then just use the dots for hold over. It works even better if you have a scope that has tactical / target knobs that are mil based clicks. Leupold makes some Nightforce makes some and for a bargain the Super Sniper from SWFA can be had in MIL MIL in 3-9x42 http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx
Or Fixed 10x42 HD
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P42527.aspx