• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ranging with the Russian PU Scope?

Freebooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2010
Alabama
Hello,
I have heard that you judge range with a Russian PU scope thusly: If one man fits between the two side bars of the reticle, then it is 100 yards, 2-200 yds, and so on. But in my book "The German Sniper: 1914-1945" it has a diagram of the same type of reticle showing how to do this. But instead of a man between side posts, it has a man between the center verticle post and a side post as being 100 yards. It says it is a typical German reticle of the WWII period. Were German and Russian scopes different in that rangefinding technique or was it a misprint, or what? Which is the correct technique or description for the Russian Mosin-Nagant PU Sniper?
Thanks,
Freebooter

Re: Ranging with the Russian PU Scope?

In the PU scope, the horizontal spacing between two bars should be 70cm at 100meters (~25 inches at 100yards).

Thick bars are 20cm thick at 100 meters (~7" at 100 yards).

ILya

Thanks Ilya. I reckon 25 inches is about the width of a man's shoulders.
FB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Freebooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Ilya. I reckon 25 inches is about the width of a man's shoulders.
FB</div></div>

That's probably about right.

ILya