• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Ranking of FFP - MIL/MIL scopes, please?

blue_ridge

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2009
Eastern NC
I've read through the FAQ's and I've done some searches on the subject. (although many searches seem to return everything regardless of the keyword)

I get the general idea that Super Snipers are well liked at their price point and Vortex and Falcon are generally liked. Sightron seems to be more controversial. Leupold seems to hold some middle ground. Not sure if Nikon and Burris make FFP - MIL/MIL scopes. Then for the high end, everyone loves NightForce, USO, IOR, S&B etc.

So, without starting too many pissin' matches between camps, is it possible to do a list of the various FFP - MIL/MIL scopes available today, with their prices and consensus reliability in mind?

Re: Ranking of FFP - MIL/MIL scopes, please?

blue_ridge,

Here is a post I did some weeks ago. I did not rank them nor list prices, but this will get you started....

Current FFP MIL/MIL scopes that I know of:

S&B All PM II's
3-12x50mm
4-12x42mm
4-12x50mm
5-25x50mm

Premier
3-15x50mm
5-25x56mm

Hensoldt
3-12x56mm
4-16x56mm
6-24x56mm
6-24x72mm

USO
ALL USO Variables ?

Nightforce
3.5-15x50mm F1
5.5-22x50mm F1 in the pipeline?

Vortex
5-20x50mm Razor
Has some new FFP Mil/MIL Viper's in the pipeline

IOR
2.5x10x42mm (only one model)
3-18x42mm (only one model)
3-18x50mm ?new?(sighting in NZ)

Horus Vision
5-20x50mm
4-16x50mm
3-12x50mm
1-4x24mm

Leupold
can't figure out what in the hell they are offering

Super Sniper
3-9x42mm

Falcon
4-14x44mm
5-25x50mm
5-25x56mm

If there are any I left out, please feel free to add.....

Bob- Minor corrections to your S & B listings

S&B All PM II's
3-12x50mm
4-16x42mm
4-16x50mm
5-25x56mm

I think the obstacle of any kind of ranking of all these scopes is you would have to have someone that has used all or at least several in a side by side comparo. I doubt there are many here that have had more than 2-3 of these scopes in their possesion and/or actually used them.

You can't really rank something if you've never looked through it outside of a gunstore. For instance, I like my Falcon - but have never looked through the vortex. Therefore, I can't really rank either one. Without that comparison, its only opinions of what people currently own.

Also, any ranking effort needs to keeps apples and apples together within a price band. Comparing a Premier 5-25x to my Falcon 5-25x is apples and bananas.

I'm just sayin'....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blue_ridge</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Then for the high end, everyone loves ... IOR...
</div></div>

That might be a bit of a stretch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the obstacle of any kind of ranking of all these scopes is you would have to have someone that has used all or at least several in a side by side comparo. I doubt there are many here that have had more than 2-3 of these scopes in their possesion and/or actually used them.
</div></div>

Actually, the obstacle to ranking them is that this isn't the sort of thing that leads itself to rankings. Depending on what you define for your personal tastes and applications different scopes will "rank" differently.

And since this appears to be the signature de jour:

I'm just sayin'...

I understand what you're saying. I'm not asking for Consumer Reports rankings to cover all features and use. Maybe just a list based on price?

Then, if anyone wants to add that they've compared A to B to C with specific results, all the better. I'm just having trouble wading through all the choices, what they cost and if they are truly FFP - MIL/MIL. I ran across a post that pointed to Sniper Central Scope tests and that has helped some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blue_ridge</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Then for the high end, everyone loves ... IOR...
</div></div>

That might be a bit of a stretch.</div></div>

Sorry. Just meant I've read generally good things and all the scopes above $1000 seem to have a bunch of happy customers, understandably.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">blue_ridge,

Here is a post I did some weeks ago. I did not rank them nor list prices, but this will get you started....

Current FFP MIL/MIL scopes that I know of:

S&B All PM II's
3-12x50mm
4-12x42mm
4-12x50mm
5-25x50mm

Premier
3-15x50mm
5-25x56mm

Hensoldt
3-12x56mm
4-16x56mm
6-24x56mm
6-24x72mm

USO
ALL USO Variables ?

Nightforce
3.5-15x50mm F1
5.5-22x50mm F1 in the pipeline?

Vortex
5-20x50mm Razor
Has some new FFP Mil/MIL Viper's in the pipeline

IOR
2.5x10x42mm (only one model)
3-18x42mm (only one model)
3-18x50mm ?new?(sighting in NZ)

Horus Vision
5-20x50mm
4-16x50mm
3-12x50mm
1-4x24mm

Leupold
can't figure out what in the hell they are offering

Super Sniper
3-9x42mm

Falcon
4-14x44mm
5-25x50mm
5-25x56mm

If there are any I left out, please feel free to add.....
</div></div>

Thanks, this helps. Looks like Vortex, Falcon and SWFA remain the only ones below $1000, so far?

Are Leupold M1 knobs MIL or MOA? Can't seem to find anything on them.

blue_ridge,

M1's are mostly MOA (actually IPHY). They do have some that are MIL, but they are 0.05 mils per click (0.18") instead of 0.1 mils per click (0.36").

They do have a new M5 knob in the pipeline (maybe...), that's reportedly has 0.1 mils per click, but when they will appear is the question. Some say next month, some say next year, or maybe never. Hard to tell with Leupold.

Leupold has shot themselves in the foot for so long, that limping along trailing the field is apparently the best they can do. If you really like Leupold scopes, and are hoping to a have a true MIL/MIL one, WTNY (Wait Till Next Year) should be your rallying cry.......

...so, would anyone serious aboot their shooting even consider a late model SWFA Super Sniper...???...

...say, the 10x42 HD...

I am considering a SS 3-9 (evidently the only mil/mil SS?) but would prefer something above 10X. So now I'm leaning towards a Falcon Menace or Vortex Viper. I intend to buy NF someday, but for now I need a scope to use and then sell off later.

With all the good info in this thread, especially from BobinNC, could this be added to the Optics FAQ's?

outrider im in frederick, md...i use the original super sniper, and just got a HD. hope to get it mounted this coming week, and shoot it soon. if u wanna check it out pm me. i see ur in baltimore

Thinking of saving for the 3-9x42 FFP SS to mount on an AR. Nobody else makes a decent FFP mil/mil scope in that magnification range for less than $1k. I'll reserve final judgement for when I actually buy one, but I've heard enough good about them to give it a shot. At this point, I've no reason to doubt that it'll do fine as an SPR scope for field use shooting yotes and what not.

However, I'm waiting until SHOT is over before I order or pre-order anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Basher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

However, I'm waiting until SHOT is over before I order or pre-order anything. </div></div>

for the deal factor, or for the possible new kit factor?

Hey, no one mentioned the Barska FFP scope.
grin.gif
Looks suspiciously like a Falcon Menace except it apparently has an illuminated reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: centermass</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Basher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

However, I'm waiting until SHOT is over before I order or pre-order anything. </div></div>

for the deal factor, or for the possible new kit factor? </div></div>

A little of both, I guess, but mostly for the new kit factor. In all honesty, I'm rarely, if ever, the type to rush out and buy a brand new, untested product. I'm more the "let somebody else try it first and I'll spend three months researching it before buying" type. So it's shear curiousity and a bit of an adventurous streak this time.
laugh.gif

Chances are, once I sell my current Leupold, I'll still go with the SS and then preorder one of the PST's and have a bit of both camps going. I'd love a Premier, USO, etc. (wouldn't we all), but a college budget ain't helping there. So yeah, mostly just curious as to what's soon to be out there in the FFP, mil/mil, up to 10x variables.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, no one mentioned the Barska FFP scope.
grin.gif
Looks suspiciously like a Falcon Menace except it apparently has an illuminated reticle. </div></div>

Everywhere I read, people say Barska's are horrible. Never had one in my hands though.

Quick, look up!!! Too late, that one went over your head!
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blue_ridge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So, without starting too many pissin' matches between camps, is it possible to do a list of the various FFP - MIL/MIL scopes available today, with their prices and consensus reliability in mind? </div></div>

It'll be a pissing match...

But here's my $.02 (with all things that matter to me considered):
-US Optics
-everyone else

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blue_ridge</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So, without starting too many pissin' matches between camps, is it possible to do a list of the various FFP - MIL/MIL scopes available today, with their prices and consensus reliability in mind? </div></div>

It'll be a pissing match...

But here's my $.02 (with all things that matter to me considered):
-US Optics
-everyone else </div></div>

LOL! I've spec'd a few SN3's out in my spare time. I'd love to have one, but can't justify the expense at this point in time, with so many other high-priority items at this stage of life. Now, if I sold half my guns and other goodies, I could, but then I'd be missing some items I deem important. Oh well. Would be fun to make it to a match or something and have a look-see through yours, if you'd allow it and I ever make it out, though.

Super Sniper 10X42 HD MIL/MIL

Scotts556