• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rant time.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Ran an ad for some help with some stuff around the house, pull a bit if fence, paint, move a bit of brush and debris. First guy that called told, 26, young and healthy, me he wanted to work, be there this morning at 8 sharp. So I rented a truck, got everything ready and now Its 9:30 and not even the courtesy of a call. What a cock sucker. Is this what the new group is like. fuck him.

Rant over.

I own a kitchen remodel business which I run on my days off from my primary job (firefighter). Some young guys in their late teens at my church were looking for some extra cash. From time to time I would give them some work helping. I think because they knew me they would show up on time, but heck if I could keep them them off their phones enough to concentrate on the job.

The millennials on the fire department I work at, yeah…We can do shift trades, basically I work your shift (you get the pay and I work for free) and then they work your shift (now they work free). We’ve had a rash of these young guys getting their shift worked and then no call no show for the trade back. Policy says it is the responsibility of the guy “supposed” to be on shift to ensure the trade is covered. Several times we’ve had guys out of town on vacation getting a call that “so and so didn’t show up for the shift trade today, you’ve got to figure something out”.

Aside from that, these young kids that think sick time is another way to pronounce vacation time. They don’t even hide it, call in sick then post pics at the lake. I needed a day off, couldn’t get it, some of these kids were like- just call in sick.

I don’t get it either

The kicker is that the average wage for unskilled labor around her is about $11-12 per hour. I offered the guy $15 cash under the table and told him I'd bonus him if he did well.

What a fucking dope.

Reactions: BLEE
    The kicker is that the average wage for unskilled labor around her is about $11-12 per hour. I offered the guy $15 cash under the table and told him I'd bonus him if he did well.

What a fucking dope.
    Manual labor for $15/hr or stand at a register and pick your nose for $15/hr.....hmmmm.

Courtesy.....ppffft. Have you driven or maybe even scrolled this site lately. Courtesy in this world....thats a good one! LOL!

Ive done charity work, ive seen the gratefulness that comes with it.

I own a kitchen remodel business which I run on my days off from my primary job (firefighter). Some young guys in their late teens at my church were looking for some extra cash. From time to time I would give them some work helping. I think because they knew me they would show up on time, but heck if I could keep them them off their phones enough to concentrate on the job.

The millennials on the fire department I work at, yeah…We can do shift trades, basically I work your shift (you get the pay and I work for free) and then they work your shift (now they work free). We’ve had a rash of these young guys getting their shift worked and then no call no show for the trade back. Policy says it is the responsibility of the guy “supposed” to be on shift to ensure the trade is covered. Several times we’ve had guys out of town on vacation getting a call that “so and so didn’t show up for the shift trade today, you’ve got to figure something out”.

Aside from that, these young kids that think sick time is another way to pronounce vacation time. They don’t even hide it, call in sick then post pics at the lake. I needed a day off, couldn’t get it, some of these kids were like- just call in sick.

I don’t get it either

Any chance of wall to wall counselling? Or the equivalent?

I agree with other commenters that this starts with the parents. My kids' asses are mine when I catch them not making their commitments.

About a decade ago we moved to New Haven, CT. We had our household goods scheduled for delivery and the driver showed up with ‘day help.’ The day labor guy was complaining that there weren’t any ‘opportunities’ in the area. I should say that my wife and I were motivated to get the truck unloaded and were not standing around and watching. A couple of hours in to unloading the truck and I see day labor guy walking down the street.

“Hey, where’s he going?”
    “Quit.”

Yeah, no opportunities. You’re just a fucking quitter.

Ran an ad for some help with some stuff around the house, pull a bit if fence, paint, move a bit of brush and debris. First guy that called told, 26, young and healthy, me he wanted to work, be there this morning at 8 sharp. So I rented a truck, got everything ready and now Its 9:30 and not even the courtesy of a call. What a cock sucker. Is this what the new group is like. fuck him.

Rant over.

I have been in this identical situation this week. Really just needed a strong body or two for a couple hours. Can't tell you how many people said they wanted "that job"...but then "hey, I need you to come and pick me up now- I don't have a ride"...or - "is that all you gonna pay? I'm coming from XYZ"...

I have been in this identical situation this week. Really just needed a strong body or two for a couple hours. Can't tell you how many people said they wanted "that job"...but then "hey, I need you to come and pick me up now- I don't have a ride"...or - "is that all you gonna pay? I'm coming from XYZ"...
    Fuck'em.

At 72 I jsut did the job I had figured for 2 guys by my self. Loaded and unloaded by hand a couple tons of broken concrete and brick, metal pipe, etc to the dump.

Fuck'em

What a fucking dope.
    Or, he misheard you. When you said you would bonus him, he thought you said you would boner him, which is a different scenario. You are welcome, internet.

What a fucking dope.

They don't realize that $15 cash up front is really $22 at a regular job.. I was offering a higher hourly knowing my market but still...not the response I used to get for ads. I find its better to offer a little on the low side, and then reward good work with higher wage or tip (like today) than have a stoner who expects to be paid for showing up.

They don't realize that $15 cash up front is really $22 at a regular job.. I was offering a higher hourly knowing my market but still...not the response I used to get for ads. I find its better to offer a little on the low side, and then reward good work with higher wage or tip (like today) than have a stoner who expects to be paid for showing up.
    When they show up you can tell in about 5 minutes. I give them 2 hours and send them packing.

Fuck'em.

GUEST_f0333aad-6d4b-47f2-8f4a-c5816ced7dfa

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot

What a fucking dope.
    My 14 year old daughter won't do shit for $15/hr. She will out logic the fuck out of you why $15/hr doesn't cut it too. My oldest works at Dickies BBQ for my mom for $13/hr. She's the hardest worker in there. She took all my advice over the years to heart, and she goes to work to work, she keeps busy, finds things to do when there's no obvious tasks that need to be done, leaves her phone in her car so it's not a distraction. She hasn't called in sick once, never left early unless she was released early, she's gone in to help when others have called in. She could easily get away with riding the gravy train and not doing a damn thing, but she sets the standard. I think she's gonna be ok in life.

Branden

My 14 year old daughter won't do shit for $15/hr. She will out logic the fuck out of you why $15/hr doesn't cut it too. My oldest works at Dickies BBQ for my mom for $13/hr. She's the hardest worker in there. She took all my advice over the years to heart, and she goes to work to work, she keeps busy, finds things to do when there's no obvious tasks that need to be done, leaves her phone in her car so it's not a distraction. She hasn't called in sick once, never left early unless she was released early, she's gone in to help when others have called in. She could easily get away with riding the gravy train and not doing a damn thing, but she sets the standard. I think she's gonna be ok in life.

Branden
    Sounds like a keeper, I bet she knows how to smoke a brisket. Is she for sale? Ive got a sweet 308 for trade? ;)

By the time the fed reserve and mega-conglomerate-corporate America are done, there will be plenty of willing people to do the work. Problem is, very few will be able to pay.

Sore as a MoFo today.

Seems like "The old gray Maggot just ain't what he used to be."

Damn, to know what I know and feel 20 again!!!

Reactions: BLEE and UKDslayer

Branden
    Start charging the 14 year old room and board. Turn off her cell phone. Make her buy her own clothes. See how fast she gets on the $15/hr wagon...

Get with current rates for 2022 , cutting grass is paying workers $25.00/hr

And I read theyre paying 90K per year to pick up the homeless turds in SF.

Rant over.
    Dude....are you sure he wasn't a boomer? We all know boomers are the problem here. Not 26 year olds. :) :)

FYI...I'm not a boomer...but damn close ;). Though, I actually don't think it's just 26 year olds. I cannot find ANYBODY willing to do simple shit down here. The one guy I had, I had to cancel on due to my COVID and now he won't call me back. So...he won't get my "bidness."

Yeah, people make more doing lawns than most professionals I know make...including family practice physicians and engineers. I know one engineer that QUIT to do lawn work (as in owning company)!!!

This old guy said he has work for me then I quit my job and he all of a sudden doesn’t have the work. Then One day he needs immediate help. I tell him I will be there at 445am. Only I got super drunk and called at 440 and told him I wouldn’t be there. Fuckin boomers.

Reactions: Ronws