• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

*Rant* Why do gun "safe" manufacturers continually lie about capacities?

clcustom1911

Muppet Extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 23, 2017
    The River in Arizona
    I mean what the actual fuck are they smoking when they describe a "safe" (which isn't an actual safe, btw) as having a 33 long gun capacity, like a Browning 33, and they have this picture.

Screenshot_20210206-171849_Brave.jpg

To me, that's maybe 10 in the safe (2 rows of 4-5), 2 pistols in pistol cases, and 3 on the door = 15 mostly-fudd-guns that don't have all kinds of bullshit optics, lights, chainsaws, sharks with laser beams on their heads, 63 degree canted iron sights, unicorn clip-ons, 90 degree red dots, bipods, trans-pods (monopods that identify as bipods), actual monopods, and whatever the fuck else we idiots hang on our pew pews.

Another picture of a 40+ gun safe had like 5 AR's with 10 ROUND MAGAZINES in one of the rifle storage areas and that looked full. I'm over here like what the fuck is a 10 round AR mag.

You put a hamdful AR's with optics, and a couple bolt guns with optics and you're tapped out with space.

So, like, I have to take what they say and basically take 25-40% of that as the actual capacity depending on the layout.

Fuckers.

/end rant

Discuss/shitpost if you wish.

EDIT: I'd be totally on board if they said something to the effect of " Can hold either 33 of grand-pappy's tube-fed, iron sight, 22LR squirrel rifles and a jar of moonshine, or 10 Modern Sporting Rifles.... and a jar of moonshine"

Last edited:
    The storage racks that come in the safes are way too poorly designed to ever hit the stated capacity (unless they're just filling it with Beretta bobcats). I took a day and played around/took measurements and made myself a new one. Particle board, going slow with a router, cover it with carpet when you're done. I easily fit 25-40% more rifles now because the spacing is designed around my guns. The one size fits all racks (mine was two large U shaped areas) suck.

They'd be better off advertising themy by the cubic foot.

Are you looking for an actual safe, or just gun storage? A good woodworker could build you a mighty fine gun cabinet with more capacity than the "safes" for similar price.

To address your original rant- It's like when they put less than a gallon into gallon sized containers and charge the price of a gallon.

Why do they call them safes and they have no UL listing? They're really just storage lockers.

A hidden closet is much more effective. The safe just advertises $. And unless you spend real money they're a joke.

Or that people pay more money for the safes that are more burglar resistant when in reality I could be in any of these safes and have everything out of it in under 10 minutes.

this year I’ve had to cut into probably a dozen bank atms to get the cash out after gangs attempted to steal them, broke the lock mechanism and the atm company has to get the cash out. I think my record time is 11 minutes right now to cut an atm open

Yep, take the advert capacity and cut in at least half and you have reality.

Been this way as long as I can remember. "get one twice as big as you think you need" has also been the general advice for the same period.

Reactions: clcustom1911
    I'm pretty happy with my safe and it's ability to fend off a thief, but I will have a gun room in my next house with a good vault door (with SS plate too). No safe has enough room to hold what probably 99.99% of us here want to keep in them. I've got a very large safe and I still need to fill my gun cabinet (pappy's guns in there), and 2 metal gun lockers bolted to the wall.

Or that people pay more money for the safes that are more burglar resistant when in reality I could be in any of these safes and have everything out of it in under 10 minutes.

this year I’ve had to cut into probably a dozen bank atms to get the cash out after gangs attempted to steal them, broke the lock mechanism and the atm company has to get the cash out. I think my record time is 11 minutes right now to cut an atm open
    popo called me to get into a 4ftx6ftx6ft safe full of explosives, took me longer to unroll the 110v cord off my portable truck welder than to open the door.....

For the same reason clothes made in China that are marked XL are actually medium.

Are you looking for an actual safe, or just gun storage? A good woodworker could build you a mighty fine gun cabinet with more capacity than the "safes" for similar price.

To address your original rant- It's like when they put less than a gallon into gallon sized containers and charge the price of a gallon.
    I'm probably gonna end up with a Superior or American Security that has at least a 3/16 or 1/4" plate for the exterior of the door, then fireproofing. Fucking thing is probably gonna cost $3-4k but whatevs.

What I should really do is troll the interwebsss for a big ass, old B Rated, TL15 or TL30 jewelry safe for like $4k and do a custom interior.

For those that don't know, a "B" is a safe (like, actual safe), that has a minimum 1/4" A36 steel box and a 1/2" A36 door plus whatever else they throw in there for fire resistance, etc. There are several companies that make B safes. Badass gear but fucking expensive.

Graffunder Safes make my dick hard

Last edited:
    Reactions: Baron23
    Hi,

You looking at wrong style of storage...
    This style is modular...you add a cabinet as needed.

View attachment 7548121

Sincerely,
    Theis
    You probably don't want to know how many of these old file systems my company has straight up scrapped for metal or tossed into a construction site dumpster over the years. Can't find anyone to take them. If one is looking for something like this they can be found in doctors offices still using paper medical records or doctors that have gone with electronic records but have not remodeled their offices since doing so.

Never thought of using them as firestick storage.

Reactions: camocorvette
    You probably don't want to know how many of these old file systems my company has straight up scrapped for metal or tossed into a construction site dumpster over the years. Can't find anyone to take them. If one is looking for something like this they can be found in doctors offices still using paper medical records or doctors that have gone with electronic records but have not remodeled their offices since doing so.

Never thought of using them as firestick storage.

Hi,

Not quiet, lol....

Those are specifically built for firearms..........

Sincerely,
    Theis

And, another conundrum is I've seen so many gun safes get rolled/slid down stairs on CCTV footage in people's homes during burglaries. So, for me I'm all about weight. I know any dipshit can get into these containers with power tools in 10-15 minutes.

And, another conundrum is I've seen so many gun safes get rolled/slid down stairs on CCTV footage in people's homes during burglaries. So, for me I'm all about weight. I know any dipshit can get into these containers with power tools in 10-15 minutes.
    I have a Champion....made by same folks as Superior....and have been happy with it for 25 years or so.

Can it be broken into with some effort....yes. But I do believe it will stop the casual burglar (read as kids mostly) and it does prevent anyone who is in my home from getting their hands on a gun.

The Superiors look very nice....just didn't have the funds for anything more expensive at the time.

I do have a friend who found a bank vault door used somewhere and had a gun room made, hidden behind a panel, with this door. It was very cool but he also had a lot of $$ to spend.

The one thing I try to do....with my shotguns as I don't see them available for scoped rifles....is I keep them in silicon impregnated gun socks. I do this because of another gun club buddy...an older man who had a very valuable collection made over his long life....who had a house fire. He found out that the combination of the moisture from the water used on the fire combined with soot particulants was VERY corrosive. Even after just the small the handful of days it took before he got into the safe, guns that were in the socks were fine, guns that were not were already corroded.

Just a thought.

Hi,

Not quiet, lol....

Those are specifically built for firearms..........

Sincerely,
    Theis
    Did not know that. Still it could probably hold a lot of ammo parts ect.. not with any security though. I imagine if that is of safe quality that must be $$$$$ I wish I could fill up one of those with firesticks. Not there yet.

I have a Champion....made by same folks as Superior....and have been happy with it for 25 years or so.

Can it be broken into with some effort....yes. But I do believe it will stop the casual burglar (read as kids mostly) and it does prevent anyone who is in my home from getting their hands on a gun.

The Superiors look very nice....just didn't have the funds for anything more expensive at the time.

I do have a friend who found a bank vault door used somewhere and had a gun room made, hidden behind a panel, with this door. It was very cool but he also had a lot of $$ to spend.

The one thing I try to do....with my shotguns as I don't see them available for scoped rifles....is I keep them in silicon impregnated gun socks. I do this because of another gun club buddy...an older man who had a very valuable collection made over his long life....who had a house fire. He found out that the combination of the moisture from the water used on the fire combined with soot particulants was VERY corrosive. Even after just the small the handful of days it took before he got into the safe, guns that were in the socks were fine, guns that were not were already corroded.

Just a thought.
    this fire issue, I've been trying to say here for a lot of years. Thing is though, everyone thinks that 'they're fine' and that fires only happen to 'other people'.....

Ask any fireman.... more 'smoke damage' has caused higher replacement costs than actual 'burned items'. That, and the water sprayed is where the smoke is attracted to.

Heck of a concept for most to grasp though, hence why it seems to never go anywhere. Alas....

Reactions: Baron23
    this fire issue, I've been trying to say here for a lot of years. Thing is though, everyone thinks that 'they're fine' and that fires only happen to 'other people'.....

Ask any fireman.... more 'smoke damage' has caused higher replacement costs than actual 'burned items'. That, and the water sprayed is where the smoke is attracted to.

Heck of a concept for most to grasp though, hence why it seems to never go anywhere. Alas....
    Yeah, and in addition to the fire hose water, you have the moisture in the gypsum that is used in the walls to achieve a fire rating. All in all, no bueno.

I took another look and if you search for "gun socks for scoped rifles" you get some hits.....for 6" wide socks....def wider than those I use for shotguns but still don't think I can get a J Allen chassis gun in one....but my deer gun may fit so I might try a couple and see.

Cheers and stay warm up there in the great white north :)