• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Rattle snake, tis the season!

Al Rick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2006
Las Vegas
Well, I have been getting the Coyote itch and figured that this past Sunday was a good day to go out and scratch that itch! The weather was cool, 55 deg and the highs were forecasted to be around the low 80 deg mark.

So, I'm cruising down the road to my lucky spot, it's right at 5:00AM dark. I see lots of Jack Rabbits, Kangaroo Rats, and a few Owls darting in front of my head lights, that's when I see this snake out in front of me. I'm thinking no big deal, it's probably just a bull snake, well this little bastard took a lunge at the truck. Well, I know what that means - Rattler!

I put the head lights on him to do the obligatory " check him out thingy " and decided that this one would be a keeper. I took out my shooting sticks and whacked him on the head and he went down, I'm thinking - Wow that was easy! :lol:

Well the little shit head was playing possum, he burred his head under his body for protection and just stayed there until my back-up arrived. My buddy shows up and asked me if the snake was dead? I tell him " well, I think the snake is kinda dead. " All it took was a poke from my shooting sticks and this sucker rears up in full strike mode with rattles just ablazing - we were both like, shit now what? :shock:

So, I whack him again and that seem to calm him down. I asked my buddy if he brought a plastic bag to put the snake in and he's like yep, I got you covered, and hands me this all torn-up piece of craptastic bag - dip shit. What the heck am I going to do with this?

I ended up putting the snake in a large plastic gear container with a locking lid, for the ride home.

I'm sure my buddy and I looked like my 6 year old daughter jumping around the garage chasing around some darn spider, just a hootin' and hollerin'! Get him, get him, no you get him :lol:

After the whack to the head.
Picture506.jpg

The rattels were just a buzzen
Picture507.jpg

Size comparison
Picture510.jpg

Shit head is still alive
Picture511.jpg

Now this little bugger is in the deep freezer -I'll wait about a week or two and pull him out. I'm going to try and tan the hide and grill the rest!

Re: Rattle snake, tis the season!

Shouldnt taste too bad, bear grylls eats these sorts of things all the time
smile.gif

Make some boots out of him

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Rick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So, I whack him again to calm him down. </div></div>

This cracks me up

Thanks for the replies.

Never had rattle snake, but I have heard they are pretty good. So we will see in a few weeks if it does taste like chicken.

If the whacken thing cracks you up, you should have seen me dancing around like a little school girl trying to figure out what to do next with it.
laugh.gif

Hahaha.... personally I don't like screwing around with snakes. I probably woulda shot him 1 or 2 or 27 times first before screwing around with him.

Ya I was never to worried about rattlers until yesterday, Had my 6 year old lab get bitten. And in lab nature, where did he get bit??? The damn TOUNGE! I guess he was trying to lick it! Hes at the vet and they think he will love but might loose an unknown portion of his tounge. Hes in pretty bad shape, but I hope he pulls through.

Just remember to keep clear of those fuckers!

Damn, Pierce, that's tough to hear. I hope your guy pulls through. My dad napalmed the stone wall on my parents' property because of the rattler nests he found. He didn't want the curious new black lab of theirs getting bit on the nose trying to sniff one of the legless beasts.

The chocolate one in my house would get bit on the tongue too I'm sure...

Pierce33, sorry to hear about your dog. One of my horses got bit on the nose a few years back. I could not believe how big it swelled up. The vet had to put a plastic tube in his nostril or he would have suffocated. Swelling went down in a couple of days and he recovered. I kill about 4 rattle snakes on my property ever year.

saute that meat in garlic and butter with a splash of white wine and a little onion. can't be beat.
jh

those rattlers are movin hard this time of yr, we drive my ranger down the gravel until 2am when the days are hot and the nights are about 70, they come out and lay on the warm sand, my brother in law puts em on ice and they take em to the vet to milk for antivenom production, i think they get paid 5$ a snake... I like to glock em myself and hang em on the fence, theyre no fun when u find em curled up on your doorstep and you have 3 kids under 3yrs old, i'm still lookin for a couple dens where i can find an 8ftr so i can collect 15K from reptile gardens.

Pierce33, sorry to hear about your lab and I hope he pulls through. I usually remove the rattlers head by whatever means are available before messing with them. During bow season here you need to be on your toes because they are moving.

Thanks guys, the update today is that he is doing better and shouldnt loose his whole tounge. Hes out of the oxoygen tank and seems to be recovering, just very swollen and sore
Diesel- We used to see lots every year on the property but none in the last two years. Thank god I havent had a horse bit, but have had numnerous calves bit in the past.
My wife is a large animal vet and sees lots of bits, normaly they survive the bite, but the secondary infection is what gets them. Always a very scary situation.

Pierce33, really sorry to hear about your Lab. I know how it feels. We've got Taipans over here and if a dog gets bitten it's pretty much lights out.

Man not to hi-jack but please give me some information on the derringer and holster. Bond?

Bond Arms Ranger. Nice little rig. Check em out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hahaha.... personally I don't like screwing around with snakes. I probably woulda shot him 1 or 2 or 27 times first before screwing around with him.</div></div>

My dad came upon a Western Diamondback when he was a kid. Shot the thing 23 times (rest of the ammo in his pocket) with a single shot 22LR. He didn't know then they could keep moving so much after dying...

I got the weebee jeebees just reading your story. I hate snakes!

Rattlesnake performs very well as stew meat. Just throw it in the pot with everything else. Tastes great.

+1 on the props for the derringer.

Thanks for thed replies!

Heck went out this weekend and found two more Rattlers - 3' footers. I let these two go, pictures to follow.

I have a love/hate relationship with all snakes I hate em so I kill em BUT, I love the entertainment they provide me when I find one. He tries to get away, I catch him and promptly cut his head off. Snakes are de Debul!